Random Computer Problem

Guest Night Phantom

Guest Night Phantom

My computer seems to have lost the files for Windows and Microsoft Update.

When I go either of the two, it tells me that I don't have the files in my computer. It tries to update them and goes through the whole process, but when it goes all the way back to restart the update process I get the same error message.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a virus/worm/trojan/rootkit.

Use your Anti-Virus to scan your machine. If you don't have one (or it isn't up-to-date), then download AVG Free: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/avg-anti-virus...e/lng/us/tpl/v5

Also, download and run this: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/avg-anti-rootk...e/lng/us/tpl/v5

Then once everything has been run and cleaned, try doing Windows Update again.

On Friday I had to do this because one of the machines had a rootkit that made the system dump memory when I tried to do Windows Update or any other major operation on that machine.

My computer seems to have lost the files for Windows and Microsoft Update.

When I go either of the two, it tells me that I don't have the files in my computer. It tries to update them and goes through the whole process, but when it goes all the way back to restart the update process I get the same error message.

Thoughts?

What do you mean by "the files for Windows and Microsoft Update"? What exactly does it say? Googling the specific message or error code can usually find your answer.

Have you successfully used update in the past from this particular computer?

And how are you accessing the update site, i.e., what browser ver? Did you access it after thru the automatic updates notifier, after it told you that there were updates available?

Guest Night Phantom

What do you mean by "the files for Windows and Microsoft Update"? What exactly does it say? Googling the specific message or error code can usually find your answer.

Have you successfully used update in the past from this particular computer?

And how are you accessing the update site, i.e., what browser ver? Did you access it after thru the automatic updates notifier, after it told you that there were updates available?

I'll give you exact message in a little bit, I'm not currently on that computer.

I usually try to access the site through IE's little option in the file bar. When that wasn't working, I began manually typing in the address and then switching over to Firefox to try and access it there. Same problem system wide.

And yeah, I've used the update on the computer in the past successfully.

Guest Night Phantom

Here is the exact message I'm getting:

Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed on your computer. To continue:

[ ] Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended)

[ ] Let me read about more steps that might be required to solve the problem

When I select the first option, it says downloading (to 100%) and then registering (to 100%). Once it completes this, it returns to the original screen where I start all over and get the same error message.