DVD Suggestions

Guest Night Phantom

Guest Night Phantom

So, I'm leaving to DC on Saturday (thread on that to come) for six weeks. Before then I want to watch my DVDs of the Dead Zone (I have 1 and 2) and probably pick up another set. I'm about 98% sure I'm going to buy this one at some point during the next couple of weeks:

Season 3 - $21.99

My options after that:

Season 4 - $24.99

Volume 1 - $27.99

Season 1 - $56.99

Season 2 - $48.99

TNG is my favorite show ever and will continue that way. House (along with the Office) is my favorite show currently running, partly because I fell behind on the Dead Zone (hence, why I'm catching up). Price is not a major consideration, but I'd prefer to spend as little as possible for the highest quality. I like bang for my buck.

I'm very open to suggestion.

I would recommend Extras, Entourage, and Boston Legal.

I would most recommend Entourage (Season 2). It's a lot of fun and you don't have to use up too many brain cells to view. Extras (Season 2, never saw 1) is only six episodes long and it's hilarious. I suggested Boston Legal because you listed The Practice (best legal show ever). BL is the spin-off, which at times, is the funniest show on television.

Three fun, light shows to watch.

If you want to go a bit darker, then I would suggest Rome and Nip/Tuck.

Guest Night Phantom

I'm not sure, I'm hesitant about ever buying DVDs without seeing them first unless there are some seriously great reviews. Tell me more about those series porfa

Lost.

/thread

I mean seriously for that period of time there is nothing else that I can even begin to recommend you.

The only problem is you will want to go out and see Season 2 and then once you are done with that you have to wait until December to buy the Season 3 DVD set.

I have no idea what you are waiting for. :p

Anyways, if that is out of the question I'd recommend in this order:

1. The Wire (The smartest show on television. Season 2 is literally flawless but S1 is outstanding as are the subsequent two.)

2. Rome (Season 1, the rest becomes dissapointment but this is in the top 3 or 4 individual seasons of television I've ever watched)

3. Rescue Me (I recommend this because I love it and especially because the seasons are cheap but I find it to be hit or miss with my friends and if you do go for it I'd start with Season 2, the best of the trio and you don't lose much coming out in to the series now and the characters are much more established and worthwhile then in season 1 which had a little too much post-9/11 stuff for my tastes)

4. The Sopranos (Going to cost you a lot if you really want to enjoy it though)

5. The Shield (Great, great characters and a show that has really gotten better with age plus nothing that happens in this show doesn't come back around)

For some lighter fare (definitely a 'dark' comedy though) give a long hard look to Weeds, great first season and a spectacular second season (doesm't come out until the end of July on DVD). With current television devoid of female leads worth a damn Weeds may have the top two in Mary-Louise Parker and Elizabeth Perkins.

Just ordered Dead Zone Season 5 last week, should have it time for Season 6 to start next week on USA. :thumbup

I also had fun with Star Trek: The Animated Series - It's unofficially Season 4 (since they took Season 4 scripts that were written in case they got renewed after Season 3, chopped them down to 23 minutes and made them cartoons). These toons aren't for kids, death is a theme throughout, plus it introduced the Holodeck, Tiberius as Kirk's middle name, and much more.

I've heard/read a lot of good things about the Wire, might look into it later on this summer. Is it that expensive?

All HBO box sets are more expensive than usual series'.

The Wire is actually not too bad though as it's older and less popular. I see Amazon has it for 47.99 and if you have a good used CD/DVD store near you, you might be able to get it for around 35 bucks.

Guest Night Phantom

Hmm, I'll definitely give it a good thought. I decided on The Practice as DVD #2 since I loved that show back in the day, but I'll certainly check out the Wire when I can.

Cyggy, I've been watching TOS already so no need to buy it

The Wire is an excellent show. I will also second EndLine on Entourage and Extras. Entourage is one of the best shows out right now and Extras is from what I know, fairly unknown in the US, but was created by Ricky Gervais of The Office (the original Office.)

I second 'Rome Season 1' and offer 'Prison Break' season 1...which was pretty damn awesome.

Also Firefly Season 1 is a nice distraction as well, and not 'too' expensive. Plus, you can watch 'Serenity' immediately afterward and feel a bit of closure.

Guest CrimsonCane

I'd second all of Fox's recommendations.

For me, The Wire is the only show out there that competes with Lost for the title of "Best Show on Television." I believe Best Buy had the 1st season on sale for like $29.99 a couple weeks back. (A HUGE deal for an HBO DVD). 2nd season is even better than the 1st. And 3rd season is absolutely incredible as well. Not that it matters, but Metacritic has Season 4 at a 98 rating-the highest rating ever for a season of television.

Besides what's already been listed, I've got one more I feel is worth considering. I don't know if you've already watched it, but as a fan of Star Trek you have to check out Battlestar Galactica. It's an absolutely amazing show. The opening mini-series (2 hours) sets everything up nicely and the rest of Season 1 is just incredible.