Teachers Hand Out Rude Awards

Passion

Sixth-grader Matt Porter didn't enjoy getting "Most Likely Not To Have Children" and "Sir Clowns-a-Lot" awards from two teachers at his school.

His parents aren't pleased, either.

Matt said he received the awards in front of classmates during a ceremony at the Decatur Intermediate Learning Center at the end of the recently finished school year. His mother and his stepfather have asked the Decatur Township school system to reprimand the teachers, and they want an apology.

"Words cut deeper than any knife could. They hurt," said his stepfather, Joseph Sims. "When you hurt a child like that, you not only hurt him mentally, but it does hurt physically because you withdraw within yourself. That is what Matthew has done."

The certificates were signed by the teachers who distributed them. Matt recalled what the ceremony was like.

"I was standing in the middle of (the two teachers), and they (were) reading them off," he said. "Everyone was laughing."

Matt felt humiliated.

"They (were) putting us down and everything," he said. "That is not what their job is for, to put kids down. They are supposed to teach us."

Amy Sims, Matt's mother, said she met with a school official over the matter but was not satisfied with the response.

"She just told me that the teachers would call and apologize to him, and we've not heard anything at all," Amy Sims said.

Gary Pellico, spokesman for the school system, declined to say whether the teachers have been disciplined. He said system officials regret the incident.

"We don't feel like it was an appropriate awards ceremony at all," Pellico said. "It wasn't part of the school's award ceremony, and it will not happen again."

Amy Sims said her son needs counseling because of the awards. The school has offered it, but an agreement on who will provide it has not been reached, Thomas reported.

http://www.nbc10.com/education/13495112/detail.html

Holy sh*t this makes me angry.

A teacher (believe it or not some of the most important people in a young child's life) telling a 12-year old he is the least likely to have kids in his class (of peers/friends) is extremely cruel, unprofessional, and potentially very damaging to his psyche.

I ask how you come about the conclusion that it would be a 'joke' that he could be potentially seriously hurt by this situation.

I get feeling humiliated, but this acting withdrawn and counseling crap sounds like a couple of parents trying to make some cheddar from their child's misfortune. And I'm sure the kid earned the awards, I doubt the teachers just decided to embarass a random student for fun.

(edited for grammar)

I get feeling humiliated, but this acting withdrawn and counseling crap sounds like a couple of parents trying to make some cheddar from their child's misfortune. And I'm sure the kid earned the awards, I doubt the teachers just decided to embarass a random stundent for fun.

(edited for grammar)

agreed completely. I am curious what the child did or was doing to earn the awards.

At the same time the teachers shouldnt have done that, it is what a parent teacher conference is for.

ps you need to update your sig :)

I wonder is "Most Likely to Not Have Children" was an inside joke of some kind - possibly relating to a discussion on Darwinism. Seems like an odd award to just randomly assign.

Sounds like two teachers were trying to have some fun with their class and MAY have crossed the line. I had a gym teacher in elementary school that used to ask kids, "Do you want a kiss?" When we all said "Eeeew! No!" He would reach into his pocket and pull out a Hershey's Kiss. Then EVERYBODY wanted a kiss. Taken out of context, that could sound REALLY bad.

I get feeling humiliated, but this acting withdrawn and counseling crap sounds like a couple of parents trying to make some cheddar from their child's misfortune. And I'm sure the kid earned the awards, I doubt the teachers just decided to embarass a random student for fun.

(edited for grammar)

Yep, exactly. I doubt this kid was some quiet kid who never messed with anybody. He was probably the class clown.

Definitely agree. This was a bad idea and an even badder execution.

I have (in the past) given "Wacky awards" to my kids. They were things like, "Most likely to ask to use the bathroom during class", "Most likely to not have their music". But never, NEVER stuff to hurt their feelings. And before I gave them out, I premise them with , "Now, this is all in fun and we're not here to embarrass anybody, just to have a little fun."

I agree, no kid gets that kind of reputation without deserving it, but to actually present it is unconscionable.

They should be reprimanded, at the very least.

Guest Night Phantom

Shouldn't be doing this to 12 year old kids, especially not calling them out in front of class like that. I guess it's a fun idea to have off the wall awards different from the usual "Most Likely to Succeed" garbage, but the execution here was beyond terrible.

I'm not going to suggest anything drastic like firing though.

(edited for grammar)

How exactly would one 'earn' the title of 'most likely not to have children'?

(edited for grammar)

Being ass ugly.

(edited for grammar)

Being ass ugly.

That what I thought. Or an "I hope this student doesn't reporduce" award.

I wonder if "Most Likely to Not Have Children" was an inside joke of some kind - possibly relating to a discussion on Darwinism. Seems like an odd award to just randomly assign.

Sounds like two teachers were trying to have some fun with their class and MAY have crossed the line. I had a gym teacher in elementary school that used to ask kids, "Do you want a kiss?" When we all said "Eeeew! No!" He would reach into his pocket and pull out a Hershey's Kiss. Then EVERYBODY wanted a kiss. Taken out of context, that could sound REALLY bad.

Definitely agree. This was a bad idea and an even badder execution.

I have (in the past) given "Wacky awards" to my kids. They were things like, "Most likely to ask to use the bathroom during class", "Most likely to not have their music".

What if a parent said, "Most Likely to Not Have their Music" sounds just like 'Laziest POS in the Class' to me. I'm suing."

I'd really rather know the whole story rather than a sensationalist excerpt before passing judgment. My gut feeling is that these teachers were not trying to humiliate anyone but someone saw an opportunity to take offense.

No one saw the opportunity to take offense (I assume a parent is implied here) when in fact the student is quoted as saying they were putting students down.

I'm pretty puzzled as to how one could relate a class discussion on Darwinism in to 'awarding' a kid for being the least likely to not have children.

I spent the past 4 years of my life studying psychology with a focus on the developmental aspect. Adolescence is the time when a person creates their own social identity. A boy going in to puberty is not the time when jokes should be made about anything dealing with girls, sexuality, growing up especially by an authority figure such as a teacher.

The negative side-effects are enormous from something like that and per that article it seems as if they have already started to occur.

Hogwash. The kid also won the "Class Clown" award so he understands the difference between a joke and an insult. I don't think you are giving him enough credit.

When I was in the 6th grade I asked the question, "Why can't scientists figure out a way to patch the hole in the ozone?" My teacher laughed out loud and told me to open a business and become an ozone repair man. That was probably worse than receiving some bogus award and it didn't bother me in the least. I was embarassed for about a nanosecond then moved on. It would have been cool to sue the school for turning me into a psychotic supervillian for humiliating me in front of my peers, but we didn't operate like that way back in the late 80's and early 90's. :mischief

1. No one is suing the school, the parents asked for an apology. That was something made up in this thread.

2. He felt embarassed and felt like the comment was a 'put down' (his words).

3. What the child felt or what the reaction of the student was should take a backseat to the unprofessionalism of the teachers. Who did this benefit? What did this teach anyone? What was being taught?

4. Your anecdote is fine, but thats comparing apples to oranges - a small comment about something you stated compared to saying a kid is 'mostl ikely to not have children'. That should have nothing to do with what comes up in a classroom setting, especially in 6th grade. Your feelings in a semi-similar situation has nothing to do with this child. None.

5. Any child psychologist in the country would have a field day with both the child and the teacher. I'm not a child psychologist nor do I pretend to be but from majoring in this I happen to be extremely conservative in my views of developmental psychology and I see red flags all over this. I don't see how a teacher could even begin to defend this. I hope they use 'it was a joke' defense which has no bearing in a classroom and then get fired faster than a greased leopard.

Who did this benefit? What did this teach anyone? What was being taught?

One could argue it taught that there will be times in life when you are made fun of and feel embarassed. I don't think that's what they were trying to do, though.

I don't know the context of this situation. Obviously I am older then the kid in question here, but I have teachers that make fun of me in a non-malicious way, and a give it right back to them. I wouldn't have any problem if they did this or something like this to me.

We don't know the context of the student-teachers relationship or the individuals in question.

I didn't know teachers were in place to hand out life lessons.

This obviously was malicious, to me it is a nice way of saying, "least likely to get laid and even if you do no one is going to want to have kids with you".

Whatever their 'relationship' is it is trumped when the child says he was humiliated and put down. I don't get how this is some far out concept. A line was crossed.

My fiancee is going to be a teacher this coming school year. I'd be pissed as hell if she did something like this and that is the woman I'm going to marry.

A huge error in judgement for the party in question and I hope they face consequences.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.