Panthers Draft Preview

Beinfest4Prez

Tomorrow, June 22, 2007, is the first round of the NHL draft. It is widely considered by most hockey experts as the most intriguing draft the NHL has ever seen. There is no consensus one, two, or three pick in the NHL. Some guys are rated as high as five on some team's draft boards and as low as sixty. Add to that with the fact that the Russians are still without a transfer deal with the NHL and that there is a good deal of American talent in the first few rounds, and you get a really exciting hockey draft for quite possibly the first time ever.

The Panthers have the 10th selection in the first round. In the second round they select at #40 and #58 (from Detroit for Bertuzzi). In the third round they select at #71. Round four sees the Panthers select at #101, five at #131, six at #181 (from Anaheim), and seven at #191 and #202 (from Dallas). In addition, there is another possible second round pick from the Lightning depending on whether the Panthers choose to use the pick acquired from Tampa in the Chris Gratton trade this year or in 2008.

Draft needs: Refill the defensive prospects with legitimate future NHLers; Blue-chip goaltender and depth at that position.

Draft Prediction: There is really no way to predict this year's draft. It is certainly the weakest for goaltenders in years. Likely, the Panthers will draft a defense man or two by the second round. A few intriguing names to look at; will Alexei Cherepanov fall because of the transfer agreement? Will Sam Gagner, son of former NHLer and Panther Dave Gagner, still be available at 10? Will one of the two top defense men in the draft, Keaton Ellerby and Karl Alzner be left untouched? Or will the Cats go with someone like Logan Couture who has fallen on many draft boards but has some all-world talent? The Panthers might even package the draft pick in a trade for a goaltender! By the end of the draft, I am seeing the Panthers take a few defense man, some gritty forwards, and a goaltender or two.

I am looking forward to an action filled day tomorrow with the Cats!

http://flpanthers.blogspot.com/

What do you think?

honestly, this will be the first time in a while i have not watched the draft...I just don't see it being something interesting this year...there's really going to be no suprises as there are no standout players and there isn't going to be a real Brady Quinn situation.

But thats exactly what made the NHL draft unwatchable in past years. Eh, to each their own.

Esposito, Cherpenov, Couture are the 3 I want to see us go after.

I am worried about the non-exchange agreement with the russians but the kid is a monster. He destroyed the juniors, he is breaking all of Bure's records. He could come here and be a superstar. Couture and Esposito both have the same potential as well.

If theres not any really good players, then why dont we trade out first round pick for a solid goaltender? Defense, we have already picked up a lot of guys with trades.

I think you misunderstood me. There are a bunch of really good players in the draft this year. Just no one who is going to make an impact in the NHL for a few years unless an emergency calls. A lot of diamonds in the rough type players this year.

BTW, anyone else think its awesome that Sam Gagner (I believe) will be the first top-ten (if not all positions) draft pick to have started playing hockey in Coral Springs at Incredible Ice?

If theres not any really good players, then why dont we trade out first round pick for a solid goaltender? Defense, we have already picked up a lot of guys with trades.

I think you misunderstood me. There are a bunch of really good players in the draft this year. Just no one who is going to make an impact in the NHL for a few years unless an emergency calls. A lot of diamonds in the rough type players this year.

BTW, anyone else think its awesome that Sam Gagner (I believe) will be the first top-ten (if not all positions) draft pick to have started playing hockey in Coral Springs at Incredible Ice?

I didnt know he was from down here if he is there for the cats he might be a nice pick up. They could have a "local boy"

:mischief2

I didnt know he was from down here if he is there for the cats he might be a nice pick up. They could have a "local boy"

:mischief2

He's not from down here, however, he started playing hockey when his dad, Dave Gagner, played for the Panthers.