Freaks and Geeks

Passion

So I took the plunge and used some of my FYE store creidt and bought the box set Wednesday.

Watched the first three episodes and let me say I am so damn glad I bought this. Absolutely loved those episodes and everything about this show.

Great characters, great use of music, great realistic situations.

I can not believe this show got canned so quickly. It would easily rank above every comedy on TV right now with the exception of Weeds for me.

1980 is such a peferct time for a show with this subject matter. It's like a year stuck in the middle of two distinct decades and there are changes going on in how teens act, their parents having to change, the change in music, etc. So awesome.

I hate to play the role of the chauvanist constantly but I couldn't help but thinking how attractive Linda Cardellini was and then I looked at her IMDB and to say she has aged really well is an understatement. Wow.

Also I'm starting to become a huge Jason Segel fan who plays Nick. He has the best character on this show to me and he plays it so incredibly well. I also loved the guy in Knocked Up (scene stealer, needed more screen time) and he is good in How I Met Your Mother as well.

I know bobbob liked and watched this show (definitely thanks for the recommendation), anyone else a fan?

Guest CrimsonCane

Netflixed the entire series a couple of years back and, also, didn't regret it. It's an absolutely amazing show, definitely one of my favorites. Bill is probably the funniest character on that whole show once you get later in the series. Ditto on Linda Cardellini's hotness. There are a couple of thins you can count on with this show: Great writing, realistic situations, hilarious moments, and a great selection of music that always seems perfect for the scene. The show definitely ended before it deserved to. The only good thing is that the finale is an actual finale and not some random episode that leaves you hanging.

Bill dressed up as the bionic woman for Halloween talking on the phone. LMAO. :lol :lol :lol

I was near tears during that.

The music choices are so damn good. I'm glad that the producers didn't sell out and have the DVDs released without their original music.

Two great examples for me so far of pefect choices:

Styx - Come Sail Away during the homecoming dance. Oh man, nothing would have been better.

Cream - White Room while Sam in slow motion is walking through the locker room contemplating taking a shower. So amazing.

Its not really a strict comedy and while I was reading random stuff on it I saw 'dramedy' used to describe it and I definitely agree. The party Lindsay had where they switched out the keg with the non-alcoholic beer but everyone thought they were wasted or aacted like it (Bill called it the placebo effect) was so dead on to some of my past experiences it isn't even funny.

Bill drunk is far and away my favorite thing in any tv show ever. So good.

THe first three episodes are great, but I watched them so often when I was introducing the show to people that I can barely watch them anymore. The best episodes are yet to come, though. Seriously, the last few episodes are amazing.

I also love the soundtrack, and I love that all of the songs are period specific.

Oh I will, after the Sox game I'm sure we'll watch another.

This sounds so lame and probably said about a thousand times but I swear I can pinpoint these characters from my high school and the type of people they represent without question. I find it incredibly realistic in that aspect, especially for a show that has to be comedic. (I'll 'break this down' in a few.)

Literally not a weak character in the show at all (from the students to the different sets of parents to the teachers).

On a little bit underrated note its pretty interesting that off such a well casted show the actor who became the centerpiece to the Apatow Universe was Seth Rogen. He's perfectly fine in this show and his character is great but he doesn't strike me as, "Wow, I can see him playing a main character in two different feature films and be a lead in my next television series". Just interesting to me.

James Franco to me is by far the best actor in this show (not head and shoulders above but still the best). He's amazing.

One of my favorite shows ever.

Im so glad that you guys have checked this show out. It seems like ages ago when I used to watch this show on TV.

Excellent call Fox on Linda's hotness. Its a sneaky hotness isnt it? At first your like, "meh", then all of a sudden, whammo, she's got ya hooked.

This thread is gonna make me go and watch the whole series again (Im sure I missed a few episodes here and there).

Simply a touching show that delves deep into the souls of young America.

Oh I will, after the Sox game I'm sure we'll watch another.

This sounds so lame and probably said about a thousand times but I swear I can pinpoint these characters from my high school and the type of people they represent without question. I find it incredibly realistic in that aspect, especially for a show that has to be comedic. (I'll 'break this down' in a few.)

Literally not a weak character in the show at all (from the students to the different sets of parents to the teachers).

On a little bit underrated note its pretty interesting that off such a well casted show the actor who became the centerpiece to the Apatow Universe was Seth Rogen. He's perfectly fine in this show and his character is great but he doesn't strike me as, "Wow, I can see him playing a main character in two different feature films and be a lead in my next television series". Just interesting to me.

James Franco to me is by far the best actor in this show (not head and shoulders above but still the best). He's amazing.

I've always felt James Franco is an underrated actor (I also think he will eventually end up playing Jeff Buckley in the eventual Jeff Buckley biopic. He's a dead ringer. During Spiderman 3, when Parker and Harry fought, all I could think of was "It's Bright Eyes vs. Jeff Buckley. Who will win?"

Seth Rogen steals a lot of scenes, and he really has a great episode later on in the season. It's probably one of the best in the whole show.

All of the characters are great, but I really love the guidance counselor. He seems like he could be one dimensional, and it'd be easy to do that, but he's got a lot of depth. The same with the gym teacher. Both of them have great moments.

I just wish Franco didn't do the sh*t-Man series. Hopefully he can work through that and get some good roles.

I just saw the episode where they went to the laserdome and Ken and Tuba girl are making out and then Daniel and Kim do and then the row behind you have Nick and Linday sitting a seat apart and I'd venture a guess that most anyone who watches this show is just dying to see them get back together and it doesn't happen. Thats what makes this show good. I love when Nick turns to her and goes, 'This is killing me'.

Jason Segel = :notworthy

Good call on Mr. Rosso and Mr. Fredricks (Biff!) bob.

As for the show being an accurate depiction of people I remember in my own high school Lindsay is like dead on the reserved, attractive, very smart girl with weird friends (not like the Freaks but more along the lines of the mathletes) that you've always thought yuu might want to pursue but you never do because she isn't that cool and you don't want to admit to your friends you like her.

I just wish Franco didn't do the sh*t-Man series. Hopefully he can work through that and get some good roles.

I just saw the episode where they went to the laserdome and Ken and Tuba girl are making out and then Daniel and Kim do and then the row behind you have Nick and Linday sitting a seat apart and I'd venture a guess that most anyone who watches this show is just dying to see them get back together and it doesn't happen. Thats what makes this show good. I love when Nick turns to her and goes, 'This is killing me'.

Jason Segel = :notworthy

Good call on Mr. Rosso and Mr. Fredricks (Biff!) bob.

As for the show being an accurate depiction of people I remember in my own high school Lindsay is like dead on the reserved, attractive, very smart girl with weird friends (not like the Freaks but more along the lines of the mathletes) that you've always thought yuu might want to pursue but you never do because she isn't that cool and you don't want to admit to your friends you like her.

I just love how awkward the Nick character is. He plays him perfectly. That guy really should start getting more roles.

Every single person I've watched this with has said "BIFF!" when Fredricks first appeared on screen.

The dad has some of the best lines throughout. This is really just a great casted show all around. Every single casting was well done. (Check out the Ben Stiller cameo in the last episode. Hysterical).

Finished the series today.

Damn I absolutely adore this show. Firmly in my top 5 and I can say that with little recollection on it.

Really sad when you finish watching it and you know it's over. Damn NBC and their absolute horrid handling of the show same thing that plagued another favorite of mine: Firefly. Airing episodes out of order, pre-empting it, cancelling it before the end of the whole season. What a joke and its no secret why NBC is the shittiest network.

I thought the ending was appropriate (I hate the Dead though, lol) although Alexis and I debated at lengths over the past two days on Nick and Lindsay's relationship and what we are to think at the end. I guess it is a guy/girl thing.

Really sad when you finish watching it and you know it's over. Damn NBC and their absolute horrid handling of the show same thing that plagued another favorite of mine: Firefly. Airing episodes out of order, pre-empting it, cancelling it before the end of the whole season. What a joke and its no secret why NBC is the shittiest network.

Firefly was on FOX.

NBC renewed Friday Night Lights. I'm on their good side at the moment.

Firefly was on FOX.

I've got a friend who works on Friday Night Lights, so I started watching because of him and it's a really good show.

As for F&G, I ended up not liking Nick so much because of how much he changed, but it's natural. It's the most natural thing in the world to change like that. Everyone knows someone who has, it's just frustrating when someone does it, as it was when he did.

I loved how it ended, by the way. It ended in a way that wasn't completely crushing. There was no huge cliffhanger, and it's sort of cool that they never had a chance to ruin it. I like how all of the characters have grown in a lot of ways, but I have to say Daniel's ending was my favorite. Because it's so obvious even from the beginning that it's all a big put on, and that he's not nearly as "cool" as he makes it seem.

But yeah, I realized as soon as it finished that it was one of my favorite shows ever. The same guy who made this also did Undeclared which is a great show about college freshman that is very much in the same vein as F&G but a little more comedy based. Very good show, but not quite as good. Still, I found my freshman year of college being very similar to the main character's. Also this one was cancelled after half a season. But it's on DVD as well, and it's only like 20 bucks for the whole season.

Firefly was on FOX.

I'm well aware, I wasn't implying that it was on NBC.

As for F&G, I ended up not liking Nick so much because of how much he changed, but it's natural. It's the most natural thing in the world to change like that. Everyone knows someone who has, it's just frustrating when someone does it, as it was when he did.

Thats one thing Alexis and I debated. Did he actually change for real or was it to get Lindsay jealous? I happen to think it's a little bit of both and Nick is the type of guy that needed someone to 'love' and he found someone that liked him more than he liked them - a reverse of the Lindsay situation.

I loved how it ended, by the way. It ended in a way that wasn't completely crushing. There was no huge cliffhanger, and it's sort of cool that they never had a chance to ruin it. I like how all of the characters have grown in a lot of ways, but I have to say Daniel's ending was my favorite. Because it's so obvious even from the beginning that it's all a big put on, and that he's not nearly as "cool" as he makes it seem.

Apparently the producers knew for a while that this was going to be the last episode so they were able to do it in a way that was like a series finale. It worked out well.

Daniel's end was fantastic. I got the feeling that he may have found his 'calling' when they showed him in the A/V room studying the projector. I like to think that's what he'll be doing down the road. When you look back on it, he actually became a slightly underused character. I would have liked to see more of him.

But yeah, I realized as soon as it finished that it was one of my favorite shows ever. The same guy who made this also did Undeclared which is a great show about college freshman that is very much in the same vein as F&G but a little more comedy based. Very good show, but not quite as good. Still, I found my freshman year of college being very similar to the main character's. Also this one was cancelled after half a season. But it's on DVD as well, and it's only like 20 bucks for the whole season.

Yeah, I think I'm going to be getting that too. I don't think I've lined Apatow's pockets enough. ;)

Seth Rogen is a main character and Jason Segel (!!!) has a recurrign role. Busy Phillips apparently makes an appearance as well.

Thats one thing Alexis and I debated. Did he actually change for real or was it to get Lindsay jealous? I happen to think it's a little bit of both and Nick is the type of guy that needed someone to 'love' and he found someone that liked him more than he liked them - a reverse of the Lindsay situation.

Apparently the producers knew for a while that this was going to be the last episode so they were able to do it in a way that was like a series finale. It worked out well.

Daniel's end was fantastic. I got the feeling that he may have found his 'calling' when they showed him in the A/V room studying the projector. I like to think that's what he'll be doing down the road. When you look back on it, he actually became a slightly underused character. I would have liked to see more of him.

Yeah, I think I'm going to be getting that too. I don't think I've lined Apatow's pockets enough. ;)

Seth Rogen is a main character and Jason Segel (!!!) has a recurrign role. Busy Phillips apparently makes an appearance as well.

Undeclared had some hotties on it as well.

I definetly have to agree on Daniel being underused. About halfway through the series he just kind of stops being a major character. But the whole cheating episode was probably his best. Her reaction when he gives the speech for the second time is amazing.

(Also, on an unrelated note, I have to reccomend the show Clone High to anyone who hasn't seen it. It was a completely ridiculous carton that aired for one season on MTV. Made by the guy who made Scrubs, it's about a high school full of cloned famous people. It's basically a parody of all of the Dawson's Creek, etc. shows, but with like Abe Lincoln and Mahatma Gandhi. Hysterical).

You should get the soundtrack for the show bob if you haven't gotten it already. Its on OiNK.

Has some of the notable songs used (Come Sail Away, Bad Reputation, The Spirit of Radio) and also has songs from the cast: Jesus Is Alright, Lady L (!!!!), I'm Eighteen (Mr. Rosso's version), etc. Michael Andrews score too.

Pretty dope.