Virginia is for f'd up traffic tickets.

Guest FishFanInPA

Guest Night Phantom

Granted, I haven't really looked into it, but it seems a bit off to charge Virginia residents more of a penalty than non-residents. It's discrimination based on geography, and the reasoning for it is especially lacking (that they wouldn't be able to collect from other states).

Going under or at the speed limit on the highway is most of the time more dangerous then someone going over. Hell, I'd contend one car in the left hand lane holding a whole chain of traffic up causes more potential accidents with merging and the weaving in and out that goes on to get around the vehicle.

As long as traffic is flowing more or less the same speed, the actual MPH's mean little.

I usually dont got any faster than 10 mph over the speed limit.

I see nothing wrong with this.

Whatever way you want to spin it your breaking the law and putting other people in danger by going at such high speeds. Maybe some of these speeders will learn a lesson when they get a $1,000 ticket.

As far as endangering other people the far more dangerous type of driver is someone who sits in the right lane on an interstate going like 35 mph or under. I don't even want to guess how many accidents are caused by these people as other drivers try to get around them. I don't consider going 15 or 20 mph over the speed limit necessarily dangerous in pretty much any situation...I mean, that would be going something like 75 or 80 mph on your typical interstate, depending on the speed limit, which virtually everyone has done. Now if someone is clearly driving dangerously--violently changing lanes, tailgating other cars, and so on--that's different. But honestly is someone just cruising down the left lane of I-95 at 80 mph putting anyone at risk? Enough to warrant a thousand-dollar fine? I think not.

Fox you beat me to it.

Exluding deserted areas as Fox pointed out........If your driving 20 MPH or more over the speed limit you are driving like an A-HOLE and you need to get cited to jar your apathetic brain.

Think about it......Most speed limits on highways are 65 MPH or 70 MPH. Is it really necessary to drive more than 85- 90 MPH? If so, go buy a stock car and join a car club.

All this whining about these stiff fines make me want to puke.

I usually dont got any faster than 10 mph over the speed limit.

I see nothing wrong with this.

Whatever way you want to spin it your breaking the law and putting other people in danger by going at such high speeds. Maybe some of these speeders will learn a lesson when they get a $1,000 ticket.

As far as endangering other people the far more dangerous type of driver is someone who sits in the right lane on an interstate going like 35 mph or under. I don't even want to guess how many accidents are caused by these people as other drivers try to get around them. I don't consider going 15 or 20 mph over the speed limit necessarily dangerous in pretty much any situation...I mean, that would be going something like 75 or 80 mph on your typical interstate, depending on the speed limit, which virtually everyone has done. Now if someone is clearly driving dangerously--violently changing lanes, tailgating other cars, and so on--that's different. But honestly is someone just cruising down the left lane of I-95 at 80 mph putting anyone at risk? Enough to warrant a thousand-dollar fine? I think not.

Fox you beat me to it.

Yep, you know how much traffic congestion is cause by one or two bad drivers in a section of highway? It is infuriating. We need to get back to licenses being a privilege and not a right like some think it is. Driving tests are an absolute joke.

My main point is, there are a lot more pressing matters on the roads then speeding. There are many, many instances where excessive speeding needs to be ticketed (I don't care about the level of fine, I care about who the troopers are nabbing).

I'd rather be on a makeshift Virginian Autobahn then on a highway past 12:30 where you can point out the drunk drivers like stars on a clear night sky.

Exluding deserted areas as Fox pointed out........If your driving 20 MPH or more over the speed limit you are driving like an A-HOLE and you need to get cited to jar your apathetic brain.

Think about it......Most speed limits on highways are 65 MPH or 70 MPH. Is it really necessary to drive more than 85- 90 MPH? If so, go buy a stock car and join a car club.

oh come on...

Just this past weekend....driving from Outer Banks to Philly on 95. There were sections that were 55. Now I've never gotten a ticket (knock on wood) and very rarely will ever go more than 10 over, but I was in a pack of cars going about 80. No one was swerving or going in and out of lanes. Just casually driving. We weren't driving like "A-holes". But if caught I'd have to pay over a thousand dollars?

Virginian cops are notorious for sitting along the highway and busting speeders. God forbid they do something more productive with their time...

I just looked up the Autobahn and really I think this is a system which could really be a huge benefit. What they do there is they have what they call a "recommended speed." Per the Wikipedia article:

Exceeding the target speed is neither a felony nor a misdemeanour. However, an increased liability in the case of an accident may result from driving faster than the recommended speed, due to an increased danger of operating the vehicle.

For the record, the recommended speed on the Autobahn is 80 mph. You can drive faster than that if you want, but if you are in an accident going over 80, then your penalty for the accident increases. Works for me.

Granted, I haven't really looked into it, but it seems a bit off to charge Virginia residents more of a penalty than non-residents. It's discrimination based on geography, and the reasoning for it is especially lacking (that they wouldn't be able to collect from other states).

If you are talking about privilages and immunities, I think you can discriminate to the detriment of in staters, but not as to out of staters in regards to earning a living.

If you are talking about equal protection, not sure if it would get struck down since it isn't a protected class. Maybe the state supreme court, but US Supreme court hasn't struck down on this basis as I know. They get quite a bit of leeway.

Guest FishFanInPA

I know that while gettin the ticket scares the crap out of me....i'm still gonna speed...I'm just going to be smarter and watch for the medians.

Guest Night Phantom

If you are talking about privilages and immunities, I think you can discriminate to the detriment of in staters, but not as to out of staters in regards to earning a living.

If you are talking about equal protection, not sure if it would get struck down since it isn't a protected class. Maybe the state supreme court, but US Supreme court hasn't struck down on this basis as I know. They get quite a bit of leeway.In regards to P and I, does that include have an unequal levy though all of the other prevailing rules are the same?

oh come on...

Just this past weekend....driving from Outer Banks to Philly on 95. There were sections that were 55. Now I've never gotten a ticket (knock on wood) and very rarely will ever go more than 10 over, but I was in a pack of cars going about 80. No one was swerving or going in and out of lanes. Just casually driving. We weren't driving like "A-holes". But if caught I'd have to pay over a thousand dollars?

Virginian cops are notorious for sitting along the highway and busting speeders. God forbid they do something more productive with their time...

The Virginia State Police patrol highways. That is their job description. Citing drivers for speeding falls within that.

What would you like them to do instead of traffic enforcement?

Oftentimes, narcotics/wanted criminals are discovered because of traffic stops (the speeding being the probable cause to stop a vehicle in the first place).

oh come on...

The state troopers are notorious for it, yes, because really, what else are they going to do?

The county and municipal police are much more focused on the drug war (trust me, I know dozens and dozens of police very well)