Gonzalez: Olsen to pitch Wednesday

It appears Scott Olsen will pitch Wednesday.

At least that's the plan for now. Olsen was at Dolphin Stadium on Sunday and dressed with the Marlins for their afternoon game against the Reds. After the game, he left with the team for Arizona, where he will likely make his next scheduled start.

''The plan is for him to start Wednesday,'' Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez said. ``We're going to have to let the legal process take it's course.''

The Marlins have taken no action toward Olsen, who was arrested early Saturday morning and charged with driving under the influence, resisting arrest with violence and eluding a police officer.

Olsen has a turbulent history of fighting and scuffling with players on his own team, and was suspended by the Marlins for two days earlier this week for fighting with teammate Sergio Mitre during last Sunday's game against Washington. Olsen returned to the team Wednesday. He pitched well Friday night, and was arrested hours after he and the Marlins beat the Reds 10-2.

Gonzalez said team officials have talked over what action -- if any -- to take against Olsen.

The Marlins can't simply suspend him the same way they could if it was a baseball issue. Olsen has yet to be convicted of anything and if the Marlins did suspend Olsen there's always the possibility the players union would step in and appeal the suspension.

''Its not like it's over with,'' Gonzalez said. ``We're still wading through a lot of stuff. It's not a decision [to pitch Olsen Wednesday]. We're still talking about it. But the plan is that he is going to pitch Wednesday.''

LINK

Guest FishFanInPA

Players unions are ridiculous....if they defend this scum, then that's ridiculous. There's talk that the players union will defend Vick too.

imho, in Vick's case they can't suspend him because of the league precedent. Whether it is right or wrong is another story. the Falcons would probably give Vick the time he is on trial off as an LOA since a QB is a full time 7 day a week job in season.

In Olsen's case, they're going to let the legal process play out as well, it appers. I agree with this becasue of the scurtiny leagues have had about taking action too quickly. Let the legal system play its course and then take your corse. It's that same thing any other job would do.

Players unions are ridiculous....if they defend this scum, then that's ridiculous. There's talk that the players union will defend Vick too.

It's called due process, chief.

You're entitled to a defense, and what's more, since his job and his legal issues are completely unrelated, it would actually be a detriment to his right to earn a living if he were at all reprimanded before his legal matter is allowed to unfold.

And, the club has already established its policy for DUI offenses.

So he should be banned from baseball and be deemed guilty in court before a trial?

:rolleyes:

You've been on a roll lately dude.

I happen to hear on the radio DVH remarking that Ryan Freel had not one but two police involved events, one a DUI and the other (I believe) was drunk and disorderly and never missed a game so as much the we're going to read from columnists who make their livings following other sports about how the Marlins "must" do this and that, not only is it not the norm it's not how things like this are often handled in their respective sports.

I don't think it's totally about the union, the player/person has rights too and to deny him his livlihood before being found guilty or a judgement rendered is the wrong course ofaction.

I've mentioned it before but if Rogers Clemens or Dennis Eckersley or Derek Sanderson got arrested for every drunken bar fight they got into when the young they would be been in Wapole until their thirtieth birthdays.

The kid has had a history of doing stupid things and 100% he has to address them but that doesn't mean a) I think this is nothing and punishment shouldn't be handed out when the time is right or b) we should just forgive and forget.

But let's not blow this out of proportion yet until more information surfaces and a fuller picture emerges. I think the Fish are doing the right thing by letting him pitch.