Marlins Poll on Sun-Sentinel.com

D-Train35

This is the way South Florida feels about the team... Just 15% will attend games regularly? :thumbdown

The Marlins have provided South Florida with a spellbinding run to the World Series, winning back legions of fans. So what kind of fan will you be when they take the field next spring?

4.4%

I plan to buy season tickets. (85 responses)

15.0%

I plan to attend games regularly. (291 responses)

43.4%

I'll go to a game once in a while. (841 responses)

31.2%

I never go to baseball games. (604 responses)

6.1%

I'll attend only if they keep winning. (118 responses)

1939 total responses

It is up to Marlins marketing to do the research and market properly if this team wants to grow. Next season is a critical juncture, make it easy on the fans with partial season ticket packages and 13 game flex packs and you could attendance rise more than anyone could hope.

This poll mean nothing.

they key is getting the 30,000+ in on the Friday and Saturday nights. If you draw 15,000 the other nights, and 25,000 on sunday, that gives you and average of 20,714 for the week with 7 home games. that is how the other teams do it.

Cram them in for the weekends and holidays, coast on the other days.

I don't know if we should be that disgusted with that poll. It was asked of the general readership on the front page of the Sun-Sentinel. A bunch of people don't follow sports at all and couldn't care less that the Marlins or Dolphins or Hurricanes do well. A recent poll in the Sun-Sentinel (on the Dolphins) had a choice of "I don't follow sports at all" - a little more than 26% indicated they don't follow sports.

So in that context, 31% saying they won't go to any games isn't bad. A lot of those people probably aren't going to the playoff games either. Another Sun-Sentinel poll said over 50% of the respondents didn't even try for World Series tickets.

This poll would be more interesting if it was somehow limited to the people who bought or attempted to buy playoff tickets.

20% indicated they have season tickets or will go regularly. If "regularly" means 6 games a year, and we have a base population of about 4,000,000, that means we'd draw 4.8 million (20% of 4,000,000 is 800,000. 800,000 times 6 games is 4.8 million). Obviously that's not going to happen but it does show that the numbers in this poll don't mean a whole lot.

The one disgusting thing about that poll is the 6.1% that will only go if the Marlins win. But at least they're honest.

I don't know if we should be that disgusted with that poll. It was asked of the general readership on the front page of the Sun-Sentinel. A bunch of people don't follow sports at all and couldn't care less that the Marlins or Dolphins or Hurricanes do well. A recent poll in the Sun-Sentinel (on the Dolphins) had a choice of "I don't follow sports at all" - a little more than 26% indicated they don't follow sports.

So in that context, 31% saying they won't go to any games isn't bad. A lot of those people probably aren't going to the playoff games either. Another Sun-Sentinel poll said over 50% of the respondents didn't even try for World Series tickets.

This poll would be more interesting if it was somehow limited to the people who bought or attempted to buy playoff tickets.

20% indicated they have season tickets or will go regularly. If "regularly" means 6 games a year, and we have a base population of about 4,000,000, that means we'd draw 4.8 million (20% of 4,000,000 is 800,000. 800,000 times 6 games is 4.8 million). Obviously that's not going to happen but it does show that the numbers in this poll don't mean a whole lot.

The one disgusting thing about that poll is the 6.1% that will only go if the Marlins win. But at least they're honest.

Great post Gator, most people miss the point, which is if 15% of the tri-county population regularly went to Marlins games we've have the highest attendance in the major leagues. Even if 4.4% of the population actually bought season tickets we'd be the Yankees (ticket sales-wise) overnight!!!!

And, good post, these numbers are actually very heartening.

Go Fish !!!

This is the way South Florida feels about the team... Just 15% will attend games regularly? :thumbdown

The Marlins have provided South Florida with a spellbinding run to the World Series, winning back legions of fans. So what kind of fan will you be when they take the field next spring?

4.4%

I plan to buy season tickets. (85 responses)

15.0%

I plan to attend games regularly. (291 responses)

43.4%

I'll go to a game once in a while. (841 responses)

31.2%

I never go to baseball games. (604 responses)

6.1%

I'll attend only if they keep winning. (118 responses)

1939 total responses

You have to take those kind of polls with a grain of salt, but even if you take the results seriously, 63% said they would attend games at least once in a while. Once in a while could be a few times a month, or 5-6 games a year. As someone else mentioned, the key is getting consistent 30K plus crowds on weekends, and 15-20K for weekday games (of course I'd love to see more than that!). That's how it was back in '97, and we ended up averaging 29K that year.

The Marlins already have a head start this year on next season's season ticket sales. Anybody know how many season ticket holders the Marlins have in line for 2004?

I can tell you this Cape, that in order to get my "strips" (for all the Divisional, League and Word Series games) I had to commit $100 per ticket toward next year's season tickets. I know several other people who also bought strips, and if I, in my relatively small group of people, know of three others, then thousands of seats were sold this way.

A reasonable goal for 2004, no matter what happens in this World Series, is 15,000-18,000 season ticket holders. That means with a walkup of 5,000-7,000 a night average, with weekends having more walkup than weekdays, we would have an average of 20,000 to 25,000 per night next season without counting special promotions and holidays.