Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Jason Whitlock: Hip hop athletes pushing teams to go white

Featured Replies

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7343980?print=true

 

 

NFL buffoons leaving terrible legacy

Jason Whitlock / FOXSports.com

Posted: 1 hour ago

 

You get one NFL Truth today. Watching Chad Johnson and Admin Johnson undermine their respective head coaches, Marvin Lewis and Herm Edwards, on Sunday gave me a singular focus, forced me to contemplate an uncomfortable truth.

African-American football players caught up in the rebellion and buffoonery of hip hop culture have given NFL owners and coaches a justifiable reason to whiten their rosters. That will be the legacy left by Chad, Admin and Tank Johnson, Pacman Jones, Terrell Owens, Michael Vick and all the other football bojanglers.

 

In terms of opportunity for American-born black athletes, they're going to leave the game in far worse shape than they found it.

 

It's already starting to happen. A little-publicized fact is that the Colts and the Patriots ? the league's model franchises ? are two of the whitest teams in the NFL. If you count rookie receiver Anthony Gonzalez, the Colts opened the season with an NFL-high 24 white players on their 53-man roster. Toss in linebacker Naivote Taulawakeiaho "Freddie" Keiaho and 47 percent of Tony Dungy's defending Super Bowl-champion roster is non-African-American. Bill Belichick's Patriots are nearly as white, boasting a 23-man non-African-American roster, counting linebacker Tiaina "Junior" Seau and backup quarterback Matt Gutierrez.

 

 

For some reason, these facts are being ignored by the mainstream media. Could you imagine what would be written and discussed by the media if the Yankees and the Red Sox were chasing World Series titles with 11 African-Americans on their 25-man rosters (45 percent)?

 

We would be inundated with information and analysis on the social significance. Well, trust me, what is happening with the roster of the Patriots and the Colts and with Roger Goodell's disciplinary crackdown are all socially significant.

 

Hip hop athletes are being rejected because they're not good for business and, most important, because they don't contribute to a consistent winning environment. Herm Edwards said it best: You play to win the game.

 

I'm sure when we look up 10 years from now and 50 percent ? rather than 70 percent ? of NFL rosters are African-American, some Al Sharpton wannabe is going to blame the decline on a white-racist plot.

 

That bogus charge will ignore our role in our football demise. We are in the process of mishandling the opportunity and freedom earned for us by Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Doug Williams, Mike Singletary, Gale Sayers, Willie Lanier and countless others. And those of us in the media who have rationalized, minimized and racialized every misstep by Vick, Pacman and T.O. have played an equal role in blowing it.

 

 

By failing to confront and annihilate the abhorrent cultural norms we have allowed to grab our youth, we have in the grand American scheme sentenced many of them to hell on earth (incarceration), and in the sports/entertainment world we've left them to define us as unreliable, selfish and buffoonish.

 

I take you to Arrowhead Stadium this past Sunday when two competent and respected black head coaches led the Chiefs and the Bengals in battle, and their efforts were periodically sabotaged by Chad and Admin Johnson, the two players Lewis and Edwards have defended the most.

 

Football fans are aware of Lewis' love affair with Chad Johnson, the Flavor Flav of the gridiron. Johnson's insistence on conducting a minstrel show during games has long been reluctantly tolerated by Lewis. Johnson, I guess, is just too talented, productive and well-compensated for Lewis to discipline. So Lewis has chosen to enable, going as far as making excuses when Johnson's selfish behavior extended to an alleged locker-room shoving match with coaches (including a swing at Lewis) at halftime of the Bengals' Jan. 8, 2006 playoff loss to the Steelers.

 

Coming off an 11-5 regular season and having been crowned the toast of Cincinnati, Lewis responded to that Johnson meltdown by vowing to cut the player who leaked the fight information to the media.

 

Since then, the Bengals have been one of the league's biggest disappointments, finishing 8-8 last season and starting 1-4 this season. Injuries have played a significant role in Cincy's troubles, but so has a lack of on- and off-field discipline and focus. Lewis' coddling of Chad Johnson has destroyed the chemistry that made the Bengals a playoff team in 2005.

 

On Sunday, with the Bengals trying to rally out of a two-score deficit, Johnson failed to finish a pass route, which contributed to Carson Palmer throwing an interception.

 

Not to be outdone, Admin Johnson continued his season-long pattern of immature behavior, spiking the football in frustration with 4 minutes to play and the Chiefs attempting to run out the clock. The Bengals were out of timeouts and the spike stopped the clock, giving Cincy one last chance to make a comeback.

 

 

Johnson, despite receiving a new $45-million contract, has brooded, pouted and complained all season. He spent the off-season promising to be a leader and has spent the first six weeks of the season spreading locker-room cancer. Edwards-coached teams have traditionally been the least-penalized squads in the NFL. This year's Chiefs are one of the most-penalized squads. Nickel back Benny Sapp drew an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on Sunday, had to be dragged off the field by Donnie Edwards, and was spotted on the sideline arguing with players and coaches.

 

Race is not the determining factor when it comes to having a good or bad attitude. Culture is.

 

Hip hop is the dominant culture for black youth. In general, music, especially hip hop music, is rebellious for no good reason other than to make money. Rappers and rockers are not trying to fix problems. They create problems for attention.

 

That philosophy, attitude and behavior go against everything football coaches stand for. They're in a constant battle to squash rebellion, dissent and second opinions from their players.

 

You know why Muhammad Ali is/was an icon? Because he rebelled against something meaningful and because he excelled in an individual sport. His rebellion didn't interfere with winning. Jim Brown, Bill Russell, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, etc. rebelled with dignity and purpose.

 

What we're witnessing today are purposeless, selfish acts of buffoonery. Sensible people have grown tired of it. Football people are recognizing it doesn't contribute to a winning environment.

 

Whether calculated or not, the Patriots and the Colts have created settings in which Brady and Manning can lead and feel comfortable. I remember back in the 1980s when some black sports fans accused the Celtics of being racist for having a predominantly-white roster when Admin Bird was the star. No one remembered that Red Auerbach occasionally fielded an all-black starting lineup during Bill Russell's heyday.

 

My point is that it makes sense to cater to your stars. And it makes even more sense to fill your roster with players who don't mind being led, even if you sacrifice a little 40-yard dash speed.

 

If things don't change quickly, we're going to learn this lesson the hard way.

I think his characterization of Chad is unfair and semi-ridiculous.

 

Also, I don't think teams are 'going white' on purpose. The Patriots and Colts want to win, like all teams, no matter what. I don't think they are constructing their teams on purpose to be more non-black nor do I think their success goes hand in hand.

 

I think Whitlock says a lot of stuff that should be said and that a lot of people in his position won't, but he plays race, and his one man crusade of black man on black athlete way too much for my taste and more then is sometimes needed. I think this is an example of that.

OK, I'm kind of tired of Chad Johnson. Do I think it's because he's black? Or because he's part of the hip-hop culture? No, not at all. I'm just tired of all the damn hot-dogging & show-boating on the field, and the players trying to jaw at each other and starting fights over NOTHING.

 

 

 

 

I wish people would stop say 'to act white' is the opposite of this. I think what they're trying to say is 'to not act like a f***in idiot'

I don't fully agree with his article, but I do agree with points. He usually has an interesting take on race rather than the typical WHITES HATE BLACKS take.

I have a different feeling about Chad then people like Dodge do (although this is mostly a difference in perception, which is fine).

 

I'll admit I like him so maybe I'm 'biased' but I have always felt his celebrations were not mean spirited or there to show up the other team but they were for his own team. I don't agree with people saying he 'starts fights' there must be one I don't know about. I wouldn't say him and Carson yelling at each other a fight or anything that started a riff because they are good friends and things happen in the heat of the moment and it hasn't carried over past then.

 

I totally agree with you on the 'act white' thing. That is just retarded.

 

Whitlock also shouldn't lump Chad in with people like Vick, Jones, or Johnson. Apples and Oranges.

OK, I'm kind of tired of Chad Johnson. Do I think it's because he's black? Or because he's part of the hip-hop culture? No, not at all. I'm just tired of all the damn hot-dogging & show-boating on the field, and the players trying to jaw at each other and starting fights over NOTHING.

 

 

 

 

I wish people would stop say 'to act white' is the opposite of this. I think what they're trying to say is 'to not act like a f***in idiot'

Don't you think the hot-dogging and show-boating has at least something to do with the 'hip hop' culture he lives in?

Why does Chad live in a 'hip-hop' culture? Since he's black?

 

I'm so sick of this 'hip-hop' culture talk.

Why does Chad live in a 'hip-hop' culture? Since he's black?

 

I'm so sick of this 'hip-hop' culture talk.

You serious? I could not have been any less racial/discriminatory in my suggestion. Come off it.

 

There's plenty of white people who live in the 'hip hop' culture to, it's not that defined of a line

OK, I'm kind of tired of Chad Johnson. Do I think it's because he's black? Or because he's part of the hip-hop culture? No, not at all. I'm just tired of all the damn hot-dogging & show-boating on the field, and the players trying to jaw at each other and starting fights over NOTHING.

 

 

 

 

I wish people would stop say 'to act white' is the opposite of this. I think what they're trying to say is 'to not act like a f***in idiot'

Don't you think the hot-dogging and show-boating has at least something to do with the 'hip hop' culture he lives in?

 

I try not to assume that, it's just his demeanor and sportsmanship.

Why does Chad live in a 'hip-hop' culture? Since he's black?

 

I'm so sick of this 'hip-hop' culture talk.

You serious? I could not have been any less racial/discriminatory in my suggestion. Come off it.

 

There's plenty of white people who live in the 'hip hop' culture to, it's not that defined of a line

I was just trying to figure out why he 'lives' in the 'hip-hop culture'.

 

You still haven't explained that.

I guess I'm just ignorant as to what the 'hip-hop culture' entails then.

To me, it's a pretty general term that applies to people in our generation who follow the musical, lifestyle and attitude trends of cultural icons in the past 10 years or so?

I guess I'm just ignorant as to what the 'hip-hop culture' entails then.

To me, it's a pretty general term that applies to people in our generation who follow the musical, lifestyle and attitude trends of cultural icons in the past 10 years or so?

THe lead singer of NIckelback is my icon. Am I a hip hop culture guy?

I just think the characterization of Johnson is totally off base by you guys.

 

Vick, Pacman, Tank all have committed criminal acts...Chad does (awesome) celebrations in the end zone.

I just think the characterization of Johnson is totally off base by you guys.

 

Vick, Pacman, Tank all have committed criminal acts...Chad does (awesome) celebrations in the end zone.

I love Ocho Cinco and his celebrations. He's probably one of my favorite players. The only thing I responded to was that his tactics have 'at least something' to do with the whole hip-hop thing.

I just think the characterization of Johnson is totally off base by you guys.

 

Vick, Pacman, Tank all have committed criminal acts...Chad does (awesome) celebrations in the end zone.

 

I wasn't comparing him to those guys, I just don't like his sportsmanship and ego and I do think that it has something to do with his cultural background.

...I don't get why his 'cultural background' is automatically hip-hop. I listen to Marilyn Manson, it doesn't mean I subscribe to his ideals and ways.

 

I'm sick of a damn art form taking the blame for a lot of stuff and a lot of a race getting grouped in to a made up 'culture'.

 

I think it is BS personally.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.