No Country for Old Men

Bryan

Seeing it in about an hour. I will report back right away.

I would've posted in Fox's thread, but I didn't want to hijack. I also didn't want to post it in the 'Reviews' thread since I feel the hype surrounding this merits its own thread.

The movie should also spur quite a bit of discussion and different, heated viewpoints, so I think its own thread is warranted.

Just saw it last night. Loved it. The fact that it had no score at all added to the atmosphere. A lot of people around me were upset at the ending, but I found it appropriate. I hate it when people expect Hollywood endings all the time and trash a movie when they aren't given one.

I know Anton isn't a real person, and that Javier Bardem was just acting, but I feel that if I ever ran into him (Bardem), I would crap my pants. Holy sh*t what a performance! He deserves at LEAST and Oscar nomination. One of the best screen villains I've seen in a long, long time.

• 3 weeks later...

Not ready/in the mood to type up a decent review yet but did anyone who read the book and saw the film like the movie better?

It has no bearing in how I viewed the movie, but I thought the book was much better. The Coens' cut out a large part of the book that actually was my favorite part in the film and a part I was really looking forward to.

Not ready/in the mood to type up a decent review yet but did anyone who read the book and saw the film like the movie better?

It has no bearing in how I viewed the movie, but I thought the book was much better. The Coens' cut out a large part of the book that actually was my favorite part in the film and a part I was really looking forward to.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

You mean Carla Jean's death? I can't think of anything else that was left out at the moment.

I like them both just about the same. I thought the Coens came very close to the source material.

The hitchhiker and Moss.

Easily my favorite dialogue in the book.

Leaving that out really left a lot of the characterization and development of Moss out. A bit disappointing as I was looking forward to that.

They were close, but there was a bunch left out, especially a lot in the last 30 or so pages that would have made it more complete.

Has no bearing on anything when I judge the movie, but its just a gripe I have having finished the book rather recently.

The hitchhiker and Moss.

Easily my favorite dialogue in the book.

Leaving that out really left a lot of the characterization and development of Moss out. A bit disappointing as I was looking forward to that.

They were close, but there was a bunch left out, especially a lot in the last 30 or so pages that would have made it more complete.

Has no bearing on anything when I judge the movie, but its just a gripe I have having finished the book rather recently.

My friend, who had read the book, and I both agreed on the way out that the book was better, but that it was simply because it's incredibly difficult to translate medium-wise towards the end.

One of those literature-to-film loss things. I enjoyed the movie a great deal, but the book was on another level entirely.

• 5 weeks later...

I saw this today. Meant to see 'Blood', but got there too late.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, and the acting was phenomenal. Unfortunately I think I'm too much of a normal moveigoer to understand or appreciate what the Coen brothers were trying to convey at the end.

So I just saw this strange movie. It's interesting and has a solid plot, but near the end of the movie it disappears and at the end I ultimately left the film with a "WTF was that?" feeling.

Same. But the rest of the movie was good enough to make up for the ending. I did want to see something more of a resolution, though.