If the new stadium is built.......

Mungo

Absolutely not. The payroll will rise probably to around $50-60million because we will get money from parking, concessions, luxury boxes, stuff we do not get now. Plus a hopeful boost in attendance. If they even try and continue to go with the low payroll, they will be lambasted by every sports editor and fan in baseball!

Time will tell, but I have zero faith in them doing the right thing. They are making too much money now, and are enjoying the rip-off of MLB and the Marlins fanbase too much.

Absolutely not. The payroll will rise probably to around $50-60million because we will get money from parking, concessions, luxury boxes, stuff we do not get now. Plus a hopeful boost in attendance. If they even try and continue to go with the low payroll, they will be lambasted by every sports editor and fan in baseball!

Time will tell, but I have zero faith in them doing the right thing. They are making too much money now, and are enjoying the rip-off of MLB and the Marlins fanbase too much.

They've publicly said they'd raise payroll once in the stadium. I don't think they'd do that (and give ammunition to people such as yourself) if they were going to do just the opposite.

I guess I was wrong...it's not in the actual agreement, only the 30 yr non-relocation agreement. I do know Loria went on record on this matter, however. I'm sure that, even though it wasn't in the actual agreement, it was part of the discussions andd negotiations.

However, Loria's argument in a low payroll is that their current revenue streams due to the Dolphins Stadium lease and attendance issues due to location and weather will all be solved by the new stadium, so he will no longer be able to use that argument.

While we know he's truning a profit due to revenue sharing (and they do have the right to operate profitably as a business), but the revenue and profit potential for having a compettiive team that draws large attendance I would think exceeds what they get now. You have to believe they will act in their best interests, which means fielding a competitive team that people will want to see.

And remember, a high payroll doesn't necessarily mean a competitive team. See Yankees and Mets (who slipped to a tie of the Wild Card lead last night), and the Dodgers in previous years. We were able to stay in serious playoff contention much of the season with the lowest payroll in the majors, afterall, and look at the Rays- they have the second lowest and could win the AL East.

I think what we can expect to seee once the stadium is built is for the outstanding player scouting and development to continue, and to break the cycle of releasing or trading young players once they hit their arbitration years. I think we will sign the Scotty O's, the Hammer's and Cody Ross's of the world to long-term deals similar to Hanley's; that is how the payroll will rise. Those expecting us to sign huge, multi-year free-agent deals to bring in superstar-calibre players I think will be dissapointed, because that's never been the franchise's M.O.

It's not as though these people never tried to put money into the team. Consider how they ran the team up until the end of the 2005 season, and what might have happened if the stadium deal could have been made sooner?

Seriously, they were active making big trades in 03 and 04, signed a big FA for 05, and only went the way things did in 06 because it didn't make a difference in the stadium or the money.

It's not as though these people never tried to put money into the team. Consider how they ran the team up until the end of the 2005 season, and what might have happened if the stadium deal could have been made sooner?

Seriously, they were active making big trades in 03 and 04, signed a big FA for 05, and only went the way things did in 06 because it didn't make a difference in the stadium or the money.

yea people seem to forgot we had about a 60mil payroll from 03-05. Loria and Co have proven they want to win and are willing to do so if it does NOT hurt their bottom line so much. IMO.