College Football Thread - Week 7

Orlando Rays

That's not much of a change. :mischief

AP Poll Top 25 as of October 5, 2008 (first-place votes)

1. Oklahoma (51) 5-0 1,608

2. Alabama (13) 6-0 1,537

3. Missouri (1) 5-0 1,487

4. LSU 4-0 1,444

5. Texas 5-0 1,374

6. Penn State 6-0 1,287

7. Texas Tech 5-0 1,163

8. USC 3-1 1,137

9. Brigham Young 5-0 1,103

10. Georgia 4-1 1,014

11. Florida 4-1 977

12. Ohio State 5-1 931

13. Vanderbilt 5-0 833

14. Utah 6-0 815

15. Boise State 4-0 677

16. Kansas 4-1 623

17. Oklahoma State 5-0 565

18. Virginia Tech 5-1 485

19. South Florida 5-1 392

20. Auburn 4-2 236

21. Wake Forest 3-1 205

22. North Carolina 4-1 196

23. Michigan State 5-1 161

24. Pittsburgh 4-1 121

25. Ball State 6-0 97

Other Florida schools getting votes: FSU 36

Coming off the Top 25: Wisconsin, Fresno State, Oregon, UConn (losers :mischief )

Results for Florida teams:

#10 South Florida (5-1) lost to Pittsburgh (4-1), 26-21

#12 Florida (4-1) beat Arkansas (2-3), 38-7

FSU (4-1) beat Miami (2-3), 41-39

UCF (2-3) beat Southern Methodist (1-5), 31-17

FAU (1-4) lost to Middle Tennessee (2-3), 14-13

FIU (2-3) beat North Texas (0-5), 42-10

Bethune-Cookman (4-1) beat Morgan State (2-3), 31-27

FAMU (3-2) lost to South Carolina State (4-2), 28-21

Jacksonville (2-3) had a bye

Schedule for Florida teams:

#11 Florida vs. #4 LSU, Saturday 10/11 @ 8:00pm

#19 South Florida has a bye

FSU has a bye

UCF @ Miami, Saturday 10/11 @ 3:45pm

FIU vs. Middle Tennessee, Saturday 10/11 @ 7:00pm

FAU vs. Troy (2-2), Tuesday 10/7 @ 8:00pm

Bethune-Cookman vs. Delaware State (1-3), Saturday 10/11 @ 4:00pm

FAMU vs. Winston-Salem (1-4), Thursday 10/9 OR Saturday 10/11 @ 7:30pm (they have both dates for some reason...)

Jacksonville vs. Webber International (D-II), Thursday 10/9 @ 7:00pm

huge game for FIU this weekend. If they are going to make a statement in the Sun Belt it starts this week with Middle Tennessee, who is coming off the high of beating FAU, defending conference champs and New Orleans bowl champs, on the final play with a hail mary. But now they have had over 11 days off since that game so hopefully the come out a little rusty, while FIU carries the momentum of the past two winning weekends.

huge game for FIU this weekend. If they are going to make a statement in the Sun Belt it starts this week with Middle Tennessee, who is coming off the high of beating FAU, defending conference champs and New Orleans bowl champs, on the final play with a hail mary. But now they have had over 11 days off since that game so hopefully the come out a little rusty, while FIU carries the momentum of the past two winning weekends.

Can't wait till Saturday! It is a HUGE game for FIU.

Maxx,

Did you watch Troy manhandle FAU last night. Scary how good Troy is. and we get them next week...geez it doesn't get easier until after ULL

Yeah, do you think Troy is strong or FAU is really weak? I was expecting a close fought game out of that one and it turned into a blowout. We need to take care of MTSU this week. That way FIU can go in there with a lot of confidence.

Good win for FIU. I still want to see what they look like against one of the top Belt teams before saying they are a contender for the SBC title (we can all agree UNT blows and MTSU should be 0-4 in the Belt right now)...but nice job taking care of Middle Tennessee. Most people don't know this because, well they are Middle Tennessee, but thier fans on the internet message boards are mostly huge @ssholes, so it's good to see them go down. I just wish FAU could have knocked down that hail mary pass at the end of our game with them....still not over that one. Anyway. here's hoping that the Owls get their act together and we can finally have a really competitive Shula Bowl game this year. Who do you guys have next week?

Good win for FIU. I still want to see what they look like against one of the top Belt teams before saying they are a contender for the SBC title (we can all agree UNT blows and MTSU should be 0-4 in the Belt right now)...but nice job taking care of Middle Tennessee. Most people don't know this because, well they are Middle Tennessee, but thier fans on the internet message boards are mostly huge @ssholes, so it's good to see them go down. I just wish FAU could have knocked down that hail mary pass at the end of our game with them....still not over that one. Anyway. here's hoping that the Owls get their act together and we can finally have a really competitive Shula Bowl game this year. Who do you guys have next week?

FIU is @ Troy next week competing for first place in the Belt. Agree that UNT blows, however, MT has one of the better defenses in the league that held FAU to only 13 points, plus they beat Maryland. Big win for FIU, they gotta come out ready against Troy, Troy always comes to play and has a hard hitting defense.

FIU is @ Troy next week competing for first place in the Belt. Agree that UNT blows, however, MT has one of the better defenses in the league that held FAU to only 13 points, plus they beat Maryland. Big win for FIU, they gotta come out ready against Troy, Troy always comes to play and has a hard hitting defense.

Believe me, MTSU is bad. They held FAU to 13, but FAU fumbled at the 1 and had a drive stall inside the 10 yard line...not necessarily MT having a good defense, more of FAU playing really terrible offense (which it has all year so far). Anyway, good luck against Troy, their fans are obnoxious also.

You all might want to check out ESPN's top 10 plays from yesterday, and see who's at the top:

That was PATHETIC defense.

Scotty McGee is the FCS version of Devin Hester. I was shocked when they kicked to him. The defense was lackluster, yes, but most PRs can't make defenses pay like Scotty can.

You all might want to check out ESPN's top 10 plays from yesterday, and see who's at the top:

Scotty McGee is the FCS version of Devin Hester. I was shocked when they kicked to him. The defense was lackluster, yes, but most PRs can't make defenses pay like Scotty can.

It was a good run, yes, but that defense was terrible.

It was a good run, yes, but that defense was terrible.

In my book any defense that allows a punt return TD is terrible.

But, it is what it is - JMU remains #1 and the worst of our schedule is behind us. :cool

Hopefully the rest of you guys will get the chance to see us on TV during the FCS playoffs.

Hopefully the rest of you guys will get the chance to see us on TV during the FCS playoffs.

I, like 99.9% of Americans, are too apathetic to I-AA football to watch the games(and I am an FCS school alum). Its just a mediocre brand of football.

I want to argue with you - but if that's how you feel about it, it will never change (kind of like how I feel about soccer). So, all I will say is:

:(

PS - if my school gets in, will you at least check it out? :)

I, like 99.9% of Americans, are too apathetic to I-AA football to watch the games(and I am an FCS school alum). Its just a mediocre brand of football.

I want to argue with you - but if that's how you feel about it, it will never change (kind of like how I feel about soccer). So, all I will say is:

Not to be rude, but no. I am an alumni of an FCS school, an athletics donor of said school, and have attended the football games. But I use Appalachian State as an example-if they hadn't beat Michigan last year, the vast majority of the public-even college football diehard-wouldnt have known that they even had a football team, let alone won the previous (2?) FCS national championships.

Not to be rude, but no. I am an alumni of an FCS school, an athletics donor of said school, and have attended the football games. But I use Appalachian State as an example-if they hadn't beat Michigan last year, the vast majority of the public-even college football diehard-wouldnt have known that they even had a football team, let alone won the previous (2?) FCS national championships.

Yes, previous two, and a third last year.

Ah well, you're missing out, but to each his own. :thumbup

I like FCS football. The playoff system is a lot of fun, and I certianly enjoyed it when FAU was #4 in the country and made it to the semi-finals in 2003. There is a message board (www.anygivensaturday.com) devoted to the FCS. There are a lot of people there that are very passionate about it and trash teams like FAU or FIU for having the gall to move up. They can't understand why teams like us would rather play in a low level FBS conference for a chance to go to a Bowl game in December then play for a national championship every year. They hate it when schools use their division as a stepping stone to bigger things. What they don't take into account is is that it is impossible for FCS teams to make any money and that you get virtually no attention nationally or in a lot of cases, locally.

It isn't medicore football, it just isn't FBS football...and it isn't meant to be. There are a lot of good football players and teams in the FCS, but there is very little coverage and unless you went to a school with a FCS team, most people just don't care about it. It's just the way it is. Like the previous poster said, if it wasn't for the Michigan upset, nobody would know App. State had a team, despite being three time champs.

I like FCS football. The playoff system is a lot of fun, and I certianly enjoyed it when FAU was #4 in the country and made it to the semi-finals in 2003. There is a message board (www.anygivensaturday.com) devoted to the FCS. There are a lot of people there that are very passionate about it and trash teams like FAU or FIU for having the gall to move up. They can't understand why teams like us would rather play in a low level FBS conference for a chance to go to a Bowl game in December then play for a national championship every year. They hate it when schools use their division as a stepping stone to bigger things. What they don't take into account is is that it is impossible for FCS teams to make any money and that you get virtually no attention nationally or in a lot of cases, locally.

It isn't medicore football, it just isn't FBS football...and it isn't meant to be. There are a lot of good football players and teams in the FCS, but there is very little coverage and unless you went to a school with a FCS team, most people just don't care about it. It's just the way it is. Like the previous poster said, if it wasn't for the Michigan upset, nobody would know App. State had a team, despite being three time champs.

I still remember all the whining when both FIU and FAU went to I-A on that board. I liked that board while we were I-AA but as soon as we moved up they made a complete U-Turn.