November 15, 200322 yr Its a tough choice between Prior, Schmidt, and Gagne so I think as long as one of those 3 got it theres no foul play. Theres some research being done that shows Gagne's 2003 season the most dominant EVER by a pitcher (reliever or starter), but of course its unfair to compare his stats to someone who threw 200+ innings. Still, some damn amazing numbers.
November 15, 200322 yr Until someone shows me where it says the Cy Young goes to the best starting pitcher, it has to be Gagne. He had a season for the ages, unmatched in history. You HAVE to give him this award. Remember: Closers are pitchers too (And if I were in marketing, I'd pitch that campaign, take it over the top, you could get some great commercials out of that) excellent point bighugg
November 15, 200322 yr the award goes to the best pitcher in baseball.? If Gagne's only a closer because he sucks at starting, then how can he be the best pitcher? you have a good point as well, giantsin04. gagne is a reliever because he doesn't have the stamina to start. it's not like it's just another stepping block before he gets to start full time. there's a reason that someone who's that good isn't a starter; his arm can't be strong enough. i'm not so sure which pitcher is more valuable to his respective team just because of how many more innings schmidt pitched at his level. i'm close to saying schmidt was more valuable, but it has to be noted that gagne's ERA was almost half that of schmidt. that being said, i still think gagne deserved it just because of how unheard of it is for ANY pitcher to finish the season with a 1.20 ERA, or any closer to finish the season with 0 blown saves. Schmidt had the best record in the NL. Schmidt had the best ERA. Schmidt had the best WHIP. Schmidt had the best BAA. and to the person who incorrectly stated that Schmidt had the best ERA / WHIP / BAA this season: Schmidt: 2.34 / 0.95 / .200 Gagne: 1.20 / 0.69 / .133
November 15, 200322 yr You can't blame the writers for voting for Gagne. He had a spectacular year. One could argue that a pitcher like Mark Prior or a Jason Shmidt is more valuable than a closer like Gagne. I mean, I would want the ace pitcher...most definitely. BUT the Cy Young isn't given to the most valuable pitcher...and I can't say that Gagne was the best pitcher all around b/c it's very difficult to compare his innings pitched to those of a starters. But I doubt anyone would deny how awesome Gagne was. If this was the American League and we were talking about Keith Foulke wining...then sure I would be annoyed...and I like Foulke. He's an excellent closer. But Gagne wasn't only excellent this year. He was ridiculously dominant and freakishly awesome...if I could make up a new word...I would. Giantsin04, you can't honestly tell me that you aren't letting your bias take over.
November 15, 200322 yr Giantsin04, you can't honestly tell me that you aren't letting your bias take over. :lol i dont think he'll ever admit something like that
November 15, 200322 yr i'm not so sure which pitcher is more valuable to his respective team just because of how many more innings schmidt pitched at his level. i'm close to saying schmidt was more valuable, but it has to be noted that gagne's ERA was almost half that of schmidt. My thoughts exactly. And even then, if we tried to figure out who exactly was the most valuable pitcher this year it would still be difficult to answer.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.