Urban Meyer to step down as Gators head coach

dim

Here's the names I believe are the most serious contenders imo

Randy Edsel (sp?) from UCONN, Jim Harbaugh from Stanford, Butch Davis from UNC, Possibly bringing back Dan Mullen from Miss State, and finally, the most intriguing name, Steve Spurrier from South Carolina.

I would love to have the Old Ball Coach back, but my personal belief is that we will go with Butch Davis, however past history may point to them getting Dan Mullen back, which wouldn't be horrible.

However, this probably will lead to some of our top recruits who have already committed to decide not to come to Florida, messing up our recruiting class a bit, however I still think Meyer built up too good of a program to have a major fall. Most likely an 7-5 or 8-4 type of season next year, similar to what it was like in 07.

My guess is that there's a scandal that we will probably never know about it, but whatever it is, I highly doubt he is just leaving for "health problems."

Actually, he had a heart attack midway through this season, but it's nice for FSU fans to make assumptions about a person just because they are not fond of a certain school.

My guess is that there's a scandal that we will probably never know about it, but whatever it is, I highly doubt he is just leaving for "health problems."

Actually, he had a heart attack midway through this season, but it's nice for FSU fans to make assumptions about a person just because they are not fond of a certain school.

I see your point, and I'm not odubting he had/has health issues, but if the Gators beat Alabama, do you think he would be stepping down right now? He said he had already been ignoring his health for years now, so what would prevent him from ignoring it for another year?

I just find the timing awkward, considering the Gators are coming off of an embarrassing loss to Alabama, Tebow, along with their other great players like Haden, Spikes, Dunlap, Cunningham, Cooper, and Hernandez are all leaving, and he just lost his star DC.

Herald:Source: Urban Meyer changes plans, taking leave of absence

Florida coach Urban Meyer told to the Gators he is not resigning but taking an indefinite leave of absence. Offensive coordinator Steve Addazio will be interim coach.

NEW ORLEANS -- Change of plans. Florida coach Urban Meyer isn't going anywhere.

Meyer informed his football team on Sunday that he is not resigning but rather taking an indefinite leave of absence, according to a team source.

Meyer also informed the football team that offensive coordinator Steve Addazio will be the Gators' interim head coach. A timetable has not been set for Meyer's return but he could resume his position as UF head coach as soon as next season.

Citing concerns for his health and family, Meyer announced his resignation Saturday but said he would remain in Gainesville and continue to be involved with the university.

Meyer has an arachnoid cyst on his brain, which can become inflamed from stress or excitement. When inflamed, the cyst has caused Meyer considerable pain.

The Florida football team is scheduled to arrive in New Orleans at 3:45 p.m. A press conference is scheduled for 4:30 p.m.

The No. 5 Gators (12-1) plays No. 4 Cincinnati (12-0) on New Year's Day in the Sugar Bowl.

http://www.miamiherald.com/605/story/1399884.html

This.

Also, anyone else hate indefinite leaves? It really puts the interim coach in an awkward position as they can't do all the normal things a coach can since they don't know how long they're staying.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.