PTBNL/$$$ Theory...

Ramp

I dont believe this has anything to do with Vlad. In fact, take my name (if it is on there anyway) off the Vlad list. I think this is done, the Marlins arent going to sign him.

Yes, it is compelling that we have unloaded a lot of payroll and it does seem to add up to getting money for Vlad. But I dont know if I like the cost. We just traded away a very valuable commodity in Redman, and got Neu - a solid reliever prospect who will be in our pen - and either cash or ptbnl. I would have liked to see more in return - a lefty starter with 14 wins and a 3+ ERA is not easy to come by. Especially at the price he was going to command - $3-4M. We could get the cash if we make a move for Vlad, or the ptbnl if we dont make that move. I just dont know why we made this move if for any other reasons than payroll. But even that doesnt make sense.

After arbitration and filling out our 25 man roster including getting a bonafide closer and paying our deferrals we should be at about $57-58 million.

Is that after or before the Redman deal. Because after, it makes sense that this was a payroll move. We are right at that budget mark. If that is the case, then that is the proper way to evaluate this move and I give Beinfest an "A".

c/o of the minds of Ramp, Big Hugg, and Juanky

I think the PTBNL or money is tied in to 1 of two things

1) the ability to trade Redman--Hugg

2) the ability for us to sign Vlad-- Juanky and Ramp

I take it you've seen the story in the Sun-Sentinel that says we won't use the money to sign other players?

I would have liked to see more in return - a lefty starter with 14 wins and a 3+ ERA is not easy to come by. Especially at the price he was going to command - $3-4M.

I think a lot of GM's probably think that was a "career-type" of year for Redman, and that he may not repeat it again. They may think it is an aberration rather than the norm, what with him playing in a pitcher's park, tiring at the end of the season, and being a soft-tosser. Not to mention that I think it's hard to trade ANYONE that's eligible for arbitration and get something worthwhile in return.

I take it you've seen the story in the Sun-Sentinel that says we won't use the money to sign other players? The jury is still out on whether that is truth or a negotiations ploy.

I take it you've seen the story in the Sun-Sentinel that says we won't use the money to sign other players? The jury is still out on whether that is truth or a negotiations ploy. yea..... not sure what to make of that article

I take it you've seen the story in the Sun-Sentinel that says we won't use the money to sign other players? The jury is still out on whether that is truth or a negotiations ploy. yea..... not sure what to make of that article So let me get this straight (for you pro-Vlad peeps)- every time the media makes a mention of the Marlins going after Vlad, you take it as scripture. But when the media says how the Marlins are NOT going after Vlad either because he's out of our price range or, you know, the front office flat denies it, you guys say "oh, it's a negotiating ploy" or, "oh, i don't know about that....". So you only believe the writers when it suits your interests?

Keep in mind, I'm not trying to bash or "start something" here.....I'd LOVE to get Vlad as much as the next guy, but I think you guys are reading WAY too much into these articles and assuming too much. A lot of things would have to fall into place perfectly for a deal to be done and frankly, I don't think it will.

A lot of things would have to fall into place perfectly for a deal to be done and frankly, I don't think it will.

Well, alot of stuff has been placed in front of us like we needed already, whose to say it'll stop there? Whose to stay lady luck will leave us after such a friendly and welcomed stay?