Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Weight lifting.....

Featured Replies

I need some help,im'a start a weight lifting program after i get the real answer to this question,"Does weight lifting make your growth stop/stint your growth?"i really need someone to tell me the truth,friends have told me no,but i need someone to tell me the fact.

  • Author

I think alkazoid will have the exact answer to this one,anybody got an answer?

Squats will stunt your growth. Try doing calisthetics (sp), they get you buff and they don't impact your bone structure. Military pull ups are good. However, I have been on the DL since I hurt my elbow, so what do I know.

How old are you? If you're under 16 years old, you should only do exercises that involve your own body weight. For example, chin ups and push ups are those type of exercises.

 

DON'T USE FREE WEIGHTS!! I'm sure you can start a weightlifting routing after 17 years old.

dude....i started doing squats, bench, powercleans, the whole deal for football when I was 14. I was 5'4" at the time. I'm 6 feet tall now. It doesn't stunt your growth. Have you hit puberty? If yes, then lift what you want. It's for 12 year olds that it could possibly cause growth plate problems.

 

BTW, I dont suggest doing squats unless you know how to do them the proper way. You can screw up your back. Not to mention if you don't go down low enough, you get no benefits out of it. You must get your butt parallel to the ground.

 

Free weights are the best for you because they not only help the same muscles used when using machines, but they also help build stablizer muscles (when using dumbells, say on dumbell bench press, you not only are pushing the weight up, but you are keeping it from swaying all around and potentially hurting yourself. If you are doing a seated bench press on a machine, you are not fighting gravity, and the machine keeps everything stabilized for you.

 

Now, as for bulking up, I suggest high # of sets, low reps, going for heavier weights (NOT MAX WEIGHT!) on core lifts (bench, squat, dead lift, powerclean/hang clean). On auxillary lifts, do high reps, of anywhere between 2-4 sets.

  • Author

I'm 5'10 and 1/2 and i'm 15,lookin to be 6'4-6'5,i dunno what to do i'm kinda ke pussied out to do weights im scared of not growing anymore. :confused

first things first, if you are nervous about stunting your growth, you need to talk to your doctor, and hear what he has to say.

 

And if the doctor by some wierd chance says that it could be harmful, do very very light weight, with very very high reps (yah you look like a pansy in the weightroom, but scrounge up some dumbells and do it at home), and do pushups, situps, etc.

Meh, Biking and Swimming are the best excercise you can do that you get real enjoyment out of IMO.

 

Biking gets your legs strong(I do at least 15 miles a day in the summer) and Swimming works out EVERY muscle in the body.

 

You also have the luxury of being in Miami where Weather does not affect those workouts(maybe rain)

lol....yah, man im massive :rolleyes:

but I do have big friends on the football team.

 

Actually, I can bench 40 pounds more than I weigh. I'll be at 200 by the end of the winter...in bench press, not my own body weight.

I need some help,im'a start a weight lifting program after i get the real answer to this question,"Does weight lifting make your growth stop/stint your growth?"i really need someone to tell me the truth,friends have told me no,but i need someone to tell me the fact.

yes, weight lifting can stunt growth, although it's usually only an issue in young kids who lift. a 15 year old shouldn't be concerned at all with stunted growth if he does the exercises properly and in a safe manner. of course if you have any doubts or possible medical conditions, you should probably check with your doctor first.

 

if i had to guess, i'd say you already began puberty a long time ago and your growth spurt should be finishing up within a year or two. when i was your age i was already pretty much at my adult height, so this process varies quite a bit, though i think it's pretty safe to say you'll never be 6'4". :p

 

anyways, lifting weights can sometimes cause stunted growth because of damage inflicted on the growth plates at the ends of bones. really the only growth plates that affect your height (which is what you're concerned with) are the ones in your leg bones (primarily), spine, and pelvis (very minimal). there aren't any weight exercises that put stress on the ends of your vertebrae or pelvis, so really the only exercises that could possibly stunt vertical growth if done improperly would be leg exercises.

 

i think you should see a personal trainer or get some sort of supervision when you start, just to make sure you're doing the exercises properly. the key is to make sure that your form is correct and your movements are safe. since you're worried about stunted growth, i think you should stay away from squats until you've been lifting for awhile and you're good with form. most 15 year olds could care less about building leg muscle, so i don't think you'll mind.

 

free weights are perfectly fine if your technique is good, but i think you should stick to dumbbells, which are much safer, instead of barbells since you're so young. of course, machines are the safest. also, stick to moderately higher reps (something in the order of 10-15) since they are much less likely to cause injury than low reps. personally, i'm obsessed with low rep sets, but i don't think it's very safe for 15 year olds.

 

anyways, to answer your question, it's widely accepted that strength training is perfectly safe in 15 year old boys if the proper technique is used. see a personal trainer or a PE teacher to make sure you're doing everything properly, and get a membership at your local YMCA or gym. machines are definitely the best way to start out.

  • Author

Actually my doctor said i was gonna keep growing,until i'm round 6'3 so i'm happy,im'a take the protein shake with 0 carbs 100% proteins,and do weights for my shoulders,forearms,back,and legs.

I need some help,im'a start a weight lifting program after i get the real answer to this question,"Does weight lifting make your growth stop/stint your growth?"i really need someone to tell me the truth,friends have told me no,but i need someone to tell me the fact.

Try this link. This is a professional budy builder's site. He has a forum in which you can ask all the questions and he'll personally answer them in the board. My husband is a member and he swears by them.

 

Mick Hart's Discussion Boardumm... hehe

 

 

a few excerpts from his site:

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

Here's the

ONLY place you'll learn ALL the secrets of bodybuilding

and anabolic steroids use, told by a genuine expert, with nothing

held back...

 

 

 

"Learn

How You Can Instantly Access The Greatest Gold-Mine, Of Easy To Understand, 100% Useful, Bodybuilding And

Anabolic Steroids Advice Ever Crammed

Into One Place..."

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

and this one is pretty funny:

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me give you an example; just in case you doubt

what you can achieve when you access real information. Take a look at what I did with my son Chris in just under 1 year, with only a

tiny bit of steroids! (If you have seen this pictures before on my site(s)

forgive the repetition, it's just to make a point)

 

 

     

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

he put his son on "only a tiny bit of steroids!" :lol

cyberlina, is your husband weight training with Jose Canseco lately?

 

don't do it willis 1!!!!

 

 

Here's a post on the board

 

BB25: Hart, let's just call me Admin Londs. I was previously using HGH and THG, but now that THG is illegal at my "job", I need your knowledge to get me something that cannot be detected if you know what I mean. You're in the know, do you know what I should get and where? Cycling with HGH is preferable.

 

Thanks,

Admin

 

 

I also saw posts from Tammy Tosa, William Clemens, Tim Jhome, and Jay Giambi.

  • Author

cyberlina, is your husband weight training with Jose Canseco lately?

 

don't do it willis 1!!!!

 

 

Here's a post on the board

 

BB25: Hart, let's just call me Admin Londs. I was previously using HGH and THG, but now that THG is illegal at my "job", I need your knowledge to get me something that cannot be detected if you know what I mean. You're in the know, do you know what I should get and where? Cycling with HGH is preferable.

 

Thanks,

Admin

 

 

I also saw posts from Tammy Tosa, William Clemens, Tim Jhome, and Jay Giambi.

Damn u scaring me,don't do what?

the steroids the cyberlina's husband does (I am assuming, he belongs to that site.)? That s*** can't be good for you.

he's 15 and he's afraid of lifting weights cuz he's worried it might stunt his growth.

 

something tells me he's not going to go run and buy himself a bottle of steroids and a few syringes.

Hopefully not. Steroid use scares me, because the people on them aren't really interested in getting bigger as much as trying to cover up their mental inadequacies by altering their bodies. When they look in the mirror, they think they are small because they feel small. Its very depressing.

People that use steroids get pissed veeeery fast....

hey wtf thats not true man !!...f*** dude !!!......shyt...not true !!!!!!!!!!!

 

 

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!

I need some help,im'a start a weight lifting program after i get the real answer to this question,"Does weight lifting make your growth stop/stint your growth?"i really need someone to tell me the truth,friends have told me no,but i need someone to tell me the fact.

As long as you're over 14, you should be cool.

Try this link. This is a professional budy builder's site. He has a forum in which you can ask all the questions and he'll personally answer them in the board. My husband is a member and he swears by them.

 

Hey, does your husband know any women bodybuilders he can hook me up with? :thumbup

Try this link. This is a professional budy builder's site. He has a forum in which you can ask all the questions and he'll personally answer them in the board. My husband is a member and he swears by them.

 

Hey, does your husband know any women bodybuilders he can hook me up with? :thumbup i hope you are joking man those women body builders are sick man

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.