Everything posted by SirFishFan
-
The Admin has been published!
😆 Come on after that whole @SonofJack thing.. we’re still doing that pretend like Admin isn’t the real Admin… sigh Ok I’ll play along… #Adminisfounderofsitedeventhoughheisnt I ought to write a book about the Admin and call it “Meat with milk: The story of the MarlinsBaseball.com admin” It will chronicle the story of Admin’s rise from hot dog salesman at a AA baseball park to becoming the Admin of this site. It will also include the SonofJack stories, as well as never before written details of his marriage and divorce and subsequent marriage and divorce to pollythewog. And it will include a bonus chapter where I list and discuss in detail all of Admin’s favorite cereals, restaurants and ways to drink coffee!
-
2026-2027 off season thread
😂 I appreciate the joke. Reminds me of the old days (well for me since I only joined this site in 2020. The old days for me were like 2020-2022. 😂) Back when this place was more alive and we all told jokes and had long running gags with each other. Like the one with Michael and Vesia and @pollythewog being Admin’s wife etc. By the way.. I know I stopped being a regular here awhile ago but did @Michael leave? If so, who will I make my yearly Vesia and Lewin Diaz jokes to? What happened to this place? What about @SilverBullet and @Rydawg and all the others?
-
Remainder of Season Game Thread
Do you have mlb.tv? They have the replay of the full game and Rich was there for the bottom of the 7th and top 8th inning. Otherwise if not, It was a nice moment for sure to see them back together in the booth one last time. Rich told the story about how he called a sports game late on Saturday night in Washington state then took a 5 am flight from Spokane, Wa to Miami, almost missing his connection in Denver, just to surprise Tommy on his last day! Yeah definitely an end of an era for sure. Hopefully as you said, the Marlins will get another solid color commentator in the future. Because that’s definitely been a struggle over the past few years with Hollandsworth and Rod and Conine etc. Although with the way the world is changing.. I wouldn’t be surprised if within 10-15 years or so some broadcasts networks start to use AI announcers. 😂 Which would be terrible, but still would be slightly better than some of the people that have been Marlins commentators lately. 😂
-
Remainder of Season Game Thread
Man. I haven’t really watched any Marlins games all year. But after reading your comment I was able to watch the replay of the game and see Rich Waltz and Tommy Hutton one last time. Man.. I’m smiling so big. Sometimes it just feels like that 2006 season was not that long ago. But yes so many memorable moments as a Marlins fan with Rich and Tommy. This is part of all of our collective history as Marlins fans. And something that when we’re all really old we’ll be talking about “I remember watching the Marlins games in 2013 with Rich and Tommy.” It’s kinda sad to see Tommy leave. But that’s just life.. we’re all getting older and everything changes and life keeps going on. But thanks for all the memories of over the years Tommy!
- The Admin has been published!
-
UDPATE: SALE IS COMPLETE - Seidler Family Nearing Deal To Sell Padres To José E. Feliciano
Exactly. This is the age old discussion we’ve had many times on this forum. And I wrote my opinion extensively a few years ago when I used to spend a lot of time on this forum. But the key with Marlins fans and the Miami market in general is simple. People will only come out if something is hip and trendy and exciting at the moment. And the only way that will happen is if the Marlins have a very exciting and flashy young pitcher that is generating buzz around the league and media in general OR if the Marlins are 15+ games over .500 and in a top position playoff run. So signing a “top Latin player” won’t budge the attendance much in the long run if the Marlins have a 40-56 record. Yes people came out and watched Jose pitch but that’s because he was flashy and exciting and it felt like you were witnessing something special. Same thing with Dontrelle in 2003 and a very small example with Sixto. 😂 The argument I made before was how in 2022 at some point in that season Sandy and Pablo Lopez were both in the top 5 of a lot of pitching stats in the NL and Sandy was having his Cy Young award season and people still weren’t coming out in droves when Sandy pitched even though he was arguably the best pitcher in baseball in 2022 and then in 2023 either as reigning Cy Young winner. So yes I feel like this age old argument of “they just need to sign a top Latin player and that will increase attendance” has been going on over 20 years or longer and probably will always go on for Marlins fans. So I think it’s less about where the top player is from and more about how much buzz and excitement they can create and if there’s a player that seems like a once in a generation player that you might not see another player like that in your lifetime then of course everyone would come out. But there’s only like 1 player who could do that.. Here’s my best illustration of everything I’m saying here: If the Marlins had Shohei they are probably selling out every game because people want to come and see something that incredible and special regardless of the record. But put Juan Soto and Julio Rodriguez in the outfield and the if the Marlins are 50-81 eventually the attendance is going down to 14000 a game. On the other hand, bring the whole Jumbo Shrimp roster to play on the Marlins but then they are 80-50 and being talked all around as the best team in baseball. Then the fans will magically appear in droves because it would be the hottest ticket in town in that moment. And that’s the real key with Miami, gotta be the hottest ticket in town to get the people to come out. 😂 So ultimately, signing a “top Latin player” is never going to be the solution to fix attendance. Being considered one of the best teams in baseball is the only real solution here to draw fans and the only way that will happen is to be winning a lot of games and be trendy and creating buzz and excitement and it’s probably gonna take like at least 5 years in a row of making the playoffs and possibly World Series appearances like 3 times in a 5 year period to see that culture change of considering the Marlins a hot ticket. But until that happens nothing is gonna change with the Marlins attendance in the long run. It’s been the same story the past 25 years and will continue on. 😂
-
Old Friend Jon Berti Retires
Oh man. I really feel this one. I don’t know why. I guess I associate Berti with that 2020 season and some fun memories of that time as a Marlins fan. Or maybe because I’m around the same age as him and now I’m feeling old realizing how fast the last few years passed by. 😂
-
Max Meyer and Otto Lopez Have Been Selected For the All-Star Game
You know.. as soon as I decide to follow the Marlins again and pay attention to scores.. they get swept by Cleveland. I’m thinking that for the good of everyone involved I better stay away from paying attention to them. I’ll be back in the offseason I suppose. Go Marlins… 😢
-
Max Meyer and Otto Lopez Have Been Selected For the All-Star Game
Thanks!
-
Max Meyer and Otto Lopez Have Been Selected For the All-Star Game
😂 Well, don’t worry.. for now I’m just in the phase of checking box scores occasionally, keeping an eye on the W/L record and maybe making a couple of posts a month on this forum. 😂
-
Max Meyer and Otto Lopez Have Been Selected For the All-Star Game
You know.. I have paid completely 0 attention to the Marlins this season. Like not watched any game or even had a clue about their record or anything. I’ve just been focusing on other areas of life and literally don’t have the time to devote 3 hours every night to watching a game. Well.. probably the main reason is the past few seasons I have lived outside the Marlins tv coverage area so I could watch the games on mlb.tv for free. But as of this year I am back in Marlins tv coverage area and cannot watch them on mlb.tv 🤣 Anyways.. I decided to check in today on the team since I know it’s July and all star break is always around this time of the year. I was pleasantly surprised to see the Marlins with a winning record and to see a couple of players selected to the All Star team and Otto Lopez having a great offensive year so far. And you know.. I wouldn’t be a Marlins fan if I didn’t jump back on the bandwagon sooner or later. 😂 I still am not gonna pay to watch the Marlins games. But I’ll probably keep an eye on them throughout the season and if they make the postseason then in typical Marlins fan fashion I’ll be back here on the site acting like I’ve been following them all year. 🤣
-
Marlins Trade Ryan Weathers To Yankees
I feel like they are more likely to sign a “special veterinary assistant to the GM dogs”
-
Purple and Brown backgrounds?
- Miguel Rojas announces he is retiring after next season.
Would any of you guys take him back if you were the Marlins GM?- Miguel Rojas announces he is retiring after next season.
Dodgers NationDodgers Veteran Announces He's Retiring After Next Season...The Los Angeles Dodgers veteran told Dodgers Nation that he's going to retire at the conclusion of the 2026 season. He is publicly announcing he will retire and he wishes to retire as a member of the Dodgers. So most likely he will sign with the Braves as a free agent during spring training after the Dodgers do not grant him his wish. 😂- MLB GM & Manager Carousel - 2025/2026 Offseason
Not surprised at all. When he signed with the Rangers front office people were already speculating that he was going to be their manager after Bruce Bochy left. Doesn’t make much sense to have a young recent manager of the year winner who hasn’t even reached his prime as a manager yet, just toiling away as some special assistant to GM role. 😂 I’m actually more surprised that Gabe Kapler didn’t become the Marlins manager first. 😂- 5 years in badge!
Reminds me of this old joke from I think Mad magazine.. it was a cartoon of a nude beach with a bunch of old fat nude men standing around staring at each other because they scared all the ladies away. 😂- 5 years in badge!
You see. This is another example of why I am such a valuable member of this forum! If I wouldn’t have made this thread and brought the 5 year badge to attention.. probably admin would not have ever gotten around to making a 20 year badge. I deserve at least an 8 minute sneak peak of the vip forum for my excellent in membership!- 5 years in badge!
I discovered that you can swap out the fries for mozzarella sticks. So I’ve been doing that ever since.- 5 years in badge!
Ironically, I almost never eat actual hamburgers. I’m a chicken sandwich guy and for some reason the bk Swiss cheese chicken bacon ranch sandwich and also the chicken wraps especially the fiery chicken wrap always seems to hit the spot for me! And yeah.. you will get that 15th anniversary badge soon!- 5 years in badge!
How is that related to anything else in the thread? Are you trying to say I’m a fake fan or just making a general comment?- 5 years in badge!
You were giving real “leave Britney alone” energy with your defending Vesia. 😂- 5 years in badge!
Thank you! At least someone recognized the great achievement of being an active and contributing member of this forum for 5 years already. Some of my highlights include: Creating a long running Vesia joke with @Michael Coming up with the @pollythewog as SonofJack/Admin’s wife theory as well the the #pollyamory and all the related backstory of @pollythewog being a real Casanova and traveling around the world for romantic trysts while Admin had to stay home and do chores and run the website. Requesting (many times) the history of Marlinsbaseball.com until it was finally written and it was a hit! Creating the Marlinsbaseball.com the movie thread. And just being an all around great guy along with many other highlights of the past 5 years! Serious talk though.. I actually do appreciate this site. When I joined back in August of 2020, it was right smack in the middle of the Covid19.. so I had a lot of time just staying at home and I decided to start watching baseball again after many years of not watching at all, as baseball and the Marlins had always been my favorite pastime as a youngster. So you know.. joining this site was a way to have some fun interactions with others during those weird times when everything seemed like it was shut down. And since then, no matter what was going on in personal life: moving, changing jobs, breakups, gaining 50+ lbs because I love Burger King. The one thing that always was around and didn’t change was Marlinsbaseball.com. I don’t know if I will still be an active member in 5 years from now, but you know there are still some people who pop in from time to time that joined in like 2002. So I think that after all the time MB.com is probably one of those sites that I will be a part of however long it is around.- 5 years in badge!
Hey I just got a notification that I’ve been here for 5 years! What kind of special rewards do I receive for this honor? In addition to the badge I mean. How about a 5 minute access to the VIP forums?- MLB, ESPN Nearing Deal Involving MLB.TV And In-Market Rights For Five Clubs
I just had the thought that probably sometime within the next 20 years I would not be surprised at all to see a complete AI broadcasting duo in the booth. Once the technology becomes so advanced that the ai can recognize every single nuiance of a baseball game. It’s probably already there as far as being advanced. But maybe a few more years before people will be ready for that. However I would still prefer human announcers although I would have to admit it would be an slight improvement over Rod Allen to have a computer voice that doesn’t always say slide piece or change piece after every pitch. 😂 - Miguel Rojas announces he is retiring after next season.