Possible Kerry VP

Flying_Mollusk

If you ask me how I feel about some of the top black leaders in this country, I tend to get frustrated because names of those who are intelligent and fight hard for the cause of blacks in America are ignored and names such as Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are thrown about. However you feel about Jackson and Sharpton, one has to concede that they arent exactly universally popular and tend to give a negative image of black leaders in America. Thats why if you ask the average person how they would feel if a black person was Kerry's VP, they probably would think of people like Jackson or Sharpton and think that that would have a negative affect on Kerry's campaign.

But now another name has been mentioned by CNN's Carlos Watson. That name is Franklin Raines. Raines could in reality be the perfect VP choice. The group that would flat out be turned off by his mere presence and turn away from Kerry are those who never ever want to see a black president. I think that it is safe to say that in this day and age, that person is slowly receding away. But Raine's nomination would have the initial effect of drawing in fiscal conservatives who might be falling for Bush's distortion campaign against Kerry. Why? Raines, a Rhodes scholar and CEO of Fannie Mae, served under Bill Clinton as the Associate Director for Economics and Government in the Office of Management and Budget (OMB). What did he do?

For two years he was the President's (William Jefferson Clinton) key negotiator in the talks that led to passage of the bipartisan Balanced Budget Act of 1997. Raines was the first OMB director in a generation to balance the federal budget. Raines also helped the President manage the federal government by coordinating procurement, financial management, information technology, and regulatory policies for all federal agencies.

Essentially Raines would show fiscal conservatives that Kerry is serious about balancing the budget and make people deal with the fact that Bush has created one of the largest budget deficits in who knows how long.

But more importantly, Raines would have the effect of skyrocketing voter turnout in the black and minority community. These turnout rates have disabled the democratic party as these groups feel underrepresented in many senses. Bush is trying to court their vote but knows its pretty impossible to do so. With Raines, black and minority turnout would increases so much and would be enough to essentially destroy Bush in key battleground states. His presence also would not alienate the moderates in this country that are ready to turn away from Bush but would not do so if what they saw as a typical black leader was nominated(in their minds Jackson and Sharpton).

Watson sums it up well:

With his economic track record, Raines would bolster Kerry's plan for fiscal discipline, give him a rock-solid, trustworthy type for his number two and excite progressive voters and African-American voters.

A "Raines bump" in turnout as the first African-American on a major ticket -- 70 percent turnout among African-Americans instead of 40 percent - 50 percent -- could all but cinch the battleground states of Michigan and Pennsylvania for Kerry and make him the odds-on favorite in Florida. Even states like Georgia could come into play, thereby re-shaping the entire dynamic of the race.

Its still early and who knows what happens, but in my mind, Raines might be the perfect nominee unless you are a moderate or democrat who would be so alienated by the mere presence of a black VP.

i read the article on CNN and i'm likin this raines fellow, but i have huge issues with the following assertion of watson's:

A "Raines bump" in turnout as the first African-American on a major ticket -- 70 percent turnout among African-Americans instead of 40 percent - 50 percent -- could all but cinch the battleground states of Michigan and Pennsylvania for Kerry and make him the odds-on favorite in Florida. Even states like Georgia could come into play, thereby re-shaping the entire dynamic of the race.

that's such a bogus claim.

it's as if carlos watson initially wanted to proclaim about a fellow african-american, "raines will help win the black vote"--then realized kerry is already going to get 90-95% of the black vote and decided to assert that "raines will cause a monumental bump in black voter turnout."

if even 60% of blacks turn out to vote in a presidential election, i'll eat a whole bag of manure with a knife and fork. raines will have a negligible effect on black voter turnout... black turnout isn't even the issue here. when picking a vice presidential candidate, people talk about winning a certain vote, not hoping to effect some sort of perceived increase in voter turnout for a tiny sect of the population. geraldine ferraro didn't do anything for voter turnout and i doubt this would be any better.

if anything, raines is a liability to kerry because democrats have no reason to court the black vote. i really don't see what state he could help kerry win that he wouldn't already win. imo, a much better pick would be a bob graham, bill nelson, bill richardson, hillary clinton, or dick gephardt.

Wanna know the biggest problem with selecting Raines as VP?

When I read his name as a possible candidate the first thing that came to my mind was.......Who is that?

And that's the problem with Raines.

Oh, and the theory of creating a "bump" in black voter turnout better happen to offset the loss in traditional Democrat voters There are a whole lotta Dems and independents who won't von't for a black VP. Not being racist, or slinging mud or any of that, but it is what it is. The population of this country is way, way far away from accepting a black man in a position one heartbeat away from the presidency.

The country will probably see an African-American in the executive (probably as VP) sometime in the next 60-80 years, but it sure won't be some obscure bureucrat who has a great track record of performance within the government. It'll be some guy who is outrageously charismatic and has crossover appeal to the good ol' white folks like no one has ever seen. And right now it ain't happening, unless Chris Rock throws his hat in the ring.

Not being racist, or slinging mud or any of that, but it is what it is. The population of this country is way, way far away from accepting a black man in a position one heartbeat away from the presidency.

Depends on who it is Fillet.

Colin Powell for example, would've gotten an awful lot of support had he run as VP on a ticket.

Now a guy like Alan Keyes on the other hand.... :lol