Game 4 Attendance

I challenge you to find an NFL team that hasn't made money in the last 20 years. Go ahead, I'll see you back here in about a gajillion years.

The reason they move is not b/c they are losing money, but because they have an opportunity to make more money.

And yes, it is exploitive. Take it from someone who grew up in Detroilet and suffered the Lions. They have won one playoff goame in 50+ years and still make money thanks to the $793 trillion dollar TV deal and the fact that any idiot will pay $60 bucks to go see a game.

Even when they go 3-13 they get 50K sheep to come out and sit there like lemmings.

Just like the Dolphins, really. I mean, realistically, what have the Dolphins done in the last 30 years?

Anyway, back on topic, great to see the Fish drawing well, but the real test comes after the rings have been handed out, the banners are all in place, it's a Tuesday night in August, it's 88 degrees out and they are playing the 42-60 Reds. Then we'll see how much they've improved.

Dolphins suck because they exploit the insane popularity of the NFL and it's parity to make money off a mediocre product.

Ahhh, the NFL. The only place where you don't have to spend money to make money.

Right, because they havent invested greatly in a top shelf defense and gone out and made offensive acquisition such as getting David Boston, Rickey Williams, and many lineman? And that behavior has coincendently lead to their being selected preseason favorites all the time? Dont blame managment because the on field product has underpreformed.

The Dolphins have not coasted on the well being of the Miami loyalty. They have made what changes are necessary every year. The NFL is such that you work under tight constraints and can only do so much. That the Dolphins have kept a very strong defensive unit intact says a lot about how much they have invested in success. And it is equally naive to claim that Dolphin fans come despite some posited lack of success. In reality they have been an extremley successful franchise. Year in and year out they are in a playoff and division race. They have had one of the best winning percentages of any franchise since I believe the merger(though it might be a date prior to that, but still a very good winning percentage for a franchise). They go 11-5 and thats a dissappointment. People here love the Dolphins because they are consistently competitive and they are a bright franchise to follow. They remind me in many of ways of the Braves as far as maintaining some semblence of success over a long period. Just because they dont have numerous championships doesnt mean that fans shouldnt follow them.

NFL is the best sports company in America for a reason. Smart advertising and much more. NFL is exploitive (sp?) because people go to their games? Oh well that is the peopl not the NFL.

One reason why the NFL is the most successful sport:

Gambling

Unlike other sports the NFL, as a game, is much more betting friendly. I even heard Fat Hank the chronic gambler admit once that "If no one could ever gamble again the NFL would be out of business tomorrow."

The NFL does exploit in many ways, but this isn't a forum on the modern-day gladiators arguement....

Dolphins suck because they exploit the insane popularity of the NFL and it's parity to make money off a mediocre product.

Ahhh, the NFL. The only place where you don't have to spend money to make money.

Right, because they havent invested greatly in a top shelf defense and gone out and made offensive acquisition such as getting David Boston, Rickey Williams, and many lineman? And that behavior has coincendently lead to their being selected preseason favorites all the time? Dont blame managment because the on field product has underpreformed.

The Dolphins have not coasted on the well being of the Miami loyalty. They have made what changes are necessary every year. The NFL is such that you work under tight constraints and can only do so much. That the Dolphins have kept a very strong defensive unit intact says a lot about how much they have invested in success. And it is equally naive to claim that Dolphin fans come despite some posited lack of success. In reality they have been an extremley successful franchise. Year in and year out they are in a playoff and division race. They have had one of the best winning percentages of any franchise since I believe the merger(though it might be a date prior to that, but still a very good winning percentage for a franchise). They go 11-5 and thats a dissappointment. People here love the Dolphins because they are consistently competitive and they are a bright franchise to follow. They remind me in many of ways of the Braves as far as maintaining some semblence of success over a long period. Just because they dont have numerous championships doesnt mean that fans shouldnt follow them. Yeah, yeah yeah, they are "perennial contenders,' blah blah blah. What have the Dolphins won in the last 30 years?

And if they remind you of the Braves then why are the stands filled every Dolphins game, when the Braves can't sell half their seats now after their "success over a long period."

NOt winning championships = Not winning anything

This really is a pointless arguement IMO. I love both teams and will follow both teams, but to hear people say the Fins suck because people follow them irritates me.

It's not because people follow them ad nauseum, it's that they follow them ad nasuem when they don't win anything.

And it's not like I have anything against the Phins. I didn't grow up here and never really adopted the team, and frankly I couldn't care less about the AFC in general or the AFC East specifically.

They don't ever win anything, that's the problem.

You know how many teams do not win anything in every sport? A lot. So just because they do not win anything noone should support them and give the organization less money making the team worse? So every team should wait for a rookie sensation or something? That is what I love about the NFL and its cap, that is everyone has a chance. Noone will attain all the All-Star players.

You know how many teams do not win anything in every sport? A lot. So just because they do not win anything noone should support them and give the organization less money making the team worse? So every team should wait for a rookie sensation or something? That is what I love about the NFL and its cap, that is everyone has a chance. Noone will attain all the All-Star players.

So you would tell a fan from Detroit, or Arizona or some other place where the NFL onwer is a waste of skin that they have a chance?

There is no owner accountability in the NFL outside of minimum spending requirements and the only incentive to spend and win is an owner's greed to get more than the huge amounts they get via TV anyway.

And yes, if your team sucks you shouldn't support them. It's another form of accountability. Would you pay to see me play the Banjo, even though I suck just because it would give me money that I MIGHT spend on Banjo lessons?

It's not because people follow them ad nauseum, it's that they follow them ad nasuem when they don't win anything.

And it's not like I have anything against the Phins. I didn't grow up here and never really adopted the team, and frankly I couldn't care less about the AFC in general or the AFC East specifically.

So what if they never win anything? That's bandwagon speak. Aren't we supposed to stick with our teams through the hard times? I probably went to 20 Marlins games in both 1998 and 1999. Where were you?

I hate the Dolphins...and I love them. They're the first team I've ever pulled for, and I used to go to every game. But I think not actually being there for the games any longer, and watching all the games on TV, and seeing them underachieve and choke, and play like pansies every December, and the fact that Wanny makes me nauseous...well, it's a very difficult relationship. It's impossible to describe.

I'm digressing. The basic point of my post is this: Your attitude toward the Dolphins is stupid. No offense intended.

None taken, although I submit that supporting a team that hasn't won anything in your life time isn't exactly a manifestation of brilliance either.

Maybe its' justified b/c you like the drama, or maybe it's developing into a "lovable loser" scenerio - sort of a microcasm of the Red Sox or Cubs, dunno.

And as for bandwaggoners - I never quite understood the label. Should we hold people in contempt that only go to games when the team is winning? Isn't that the kind of people the Marlins are trying to attract? They don't need to further incent people like you or me to go, we'd show up if they played in a cornfield. BUt there isn't too many of us, and 5K a night doesn't pay the bills, nor should it. The Marlins went out, got better and won. Subsequently they reaped the rewards of good performance by increased attendance, playoff cash, etc.

The Dolphins ownership, on the other hand, are not overly incented to win. They make money regardless b/c of TV cash and 60K people at every game. So I ask, what is Wayne's incentive to win?

And please don't be a syncophant and give me the whole "he's a competitor and wants to win" or "He wants to do it for the fans" or some other hyperbolic trife. Remember, he's a businessman, not a benevolent patriarch of the community.

So what if they never win anything? That's bandwagon speak. Aren't we supposed to stick with our teams through the hard times? I probably went to 20 Marlins games in both 1998 and 1999. Where were you?

I hate the Dolphins...and I love them. They're the first team I've ever pulled for, and I used to go to every game. But I think not actually being there for the games any longer, and watching all the games on TV, and seeing them underachieve and choke, and play like pansies every December, and the fact that Wanny makes me nauseous...well, it's a very difficult relationship. It's impossible to describe.

I'm digressing. The basic point of my post is this: Your attitude toward the Dolphins is stupid. No offense intended. i agree with ya mabdul

all this hating on the phins is total bandwagon speak

you all say you hate them cuz of their exploitation of the fans and this and that but the bottom line is you guys hate on the phins cuz they havent made the playoffs in 2 seasons. thats it

and we so quickly forget that this team that hasnt done anything in 30 years went to the playoffs 4 or 5 seasons in a row and followed up a dissapointing 9-7 season with 10 wins last year

sure their underacheiving, but if you kick em while teyre down, ur just a stinkin

BANDWAGONER