No person is right all the time...

Buckeye

You ever have a friend who just likes to argue? I mean, really, they just won't drop it.

Well, no one can be right all the time. Even if they SEEM right, it's not possible. In the physical world in which we live things change all the time. So, why can't beliefs? I mean, even someone as cool as the Dalai Lama isn't always right (although he'd probably say the same thing, those buddhists aren't ones for arguing).

Some people just don't get involved until they know they're right.

Some just don't get involved at all (the smart ones, usually).

So, how could someone go around and say, or possibly even entertain the notion, that they ARE right all the time? Seems foolish, doesn't it?

Seems stupid to counter an argument of someone's with, "Well, you don't know why you think that way. At least I know why I think the way I do so I can make a statement on this with one hundred percent assurance that I'm right!" Yeah, sure.

Well, I'm here to say I know MOST of what I believe in (I'm a philosophy major, I SHOULD know what I believe in) and even that's not enough. Let's see, Monday, Wednesday and Friday I believe in what Aristotle and John Stuart Mill have to say. Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday I'm Nietzche all the way. Sunday I just take a break and don't care.

Basically, the world is full of people with differing beliefs. How hard is it to respect that? How hard is it to let go and just let them be? Get over yourself if you're "always right." It's just not possible. "To err is Human." Now to forgive and forget, that is divine.

I forgive you brother.

Here's a hatchet, go bury it.

I don't care for the implications, it takes two to disagree and therefore two to beleive they are always right. I am never a person to call someone a name when I disagree with them and countless times this has been done to me.

I suggest people observe their own interactions. Do I follow you to threads and start something? No, that is done to me. I wish for no quarrel.

Guest markotsay7

I mean, even someone as cool as the Dalai Llama isn't always right (although he'd probably say the same thing, those buddhists aren't ones for arguing).

Did you just make the Dalai Lama into an animal?

I mean, even someone as cool as the Dalai Llama isn't always right (although he'd probably say the same thing, those buddhists aren't ones for arguing).

Did you just make the Dalai Lama into an animal? Yes, I did, brother. Thank you for correcting my err.

You are forgiven.

If everyone in this world was always right, then what's the point of arguments, opinions, and beliefs?

More importantly, where is room for growth? If I am always right, that must be I have perfect information. Omnipotent. I would have no need to listen to other people, because what could they tell me?

An opinion cannot be "right", SorFan. Opinions can approach some nebulous-y truth, but it is ultimately just an educated belief.

Read your goddamn Aristotle.

Would U guys stop making fun of Jesus. Seriously, I get mad whenever U guys joke about my religion. Just cause U all don't believe in anything doesn't mean you can belittle the beliefs of others. I don't like to open a thread and then read and find out that it's just a Jesus bashing thread. Please take that somewhere else. Thanks!

Would U guys stop making fun of Jesus. Seriously, I get mad whenever U guys joke about my religion. Just cause U all don't believe in anything doesn't mean you can belittle the beliefs of others. I don't like to open a thread and then read and find out that it's just a Jesus bashing thread. Please take that somewhere else. Thanks!

give me a break

Who bashed Jesus?

NOBODY.

You're forgiven.

Who bashed Jesus?

NOBODY.

You're forgiven. no, you're forgiven :D

Personally I used to think the Jesus thing was real because I was told "it really happened" and some day it dawned on me that people probably just made stuff up. However, if Billy Goat is being serious, he must mean that people are speaking of Jesus in a lighthearted fashion and this might offend him.

There was nothing in my link remotely offending, but to reply to Rippyo:

No, I KNOW I am not always right, which is certainly a possibility, but I actively believe that every belief I hold is correct, because I would not willingly beleive in something that was not "true." So everyone has to think they are always right unless they on purpose believe things that they think are not true. It is rather simple.

Interesting to note: In my eastern philosophies class my professor always gets in these backhanded remarks on religion. He'll be talking and then all a sudden be like, "And the Vedas were so religious, get this, THEY COULD LEVITATE! Who believes that!? I mean, there's reasoning as to why meditation is good, why contemplation is a good path to go down... But who believes that someone's so "religious they can fly?" Is that like the whole Jesus beating death thing? So, after three days of no medical attention the guy just came back? I'm not saying religion is a bad thing, I'm just saying it's like the adult version of fairy tales.

The interesting thing is... Nobody ever argues with the guy. He's for religion but against the fact that people try and intellectualze things that could never happen. He's your classic OSU atheist (of which the philosophy department has many). I don't mind it so much, being an agnostic myself and somewhat skeptical on the side of religion and also equally as skeptical about dismissing a God just because I don't buy a certain religious philosophy (somebody had to bang the bang, right?).

Rant over. BROTHER!