Some Interesting Marlin Notes

DaGreatOne

Posted on Tue, Apr. 13, 2004

MARLINS NOTEBOOK

Turf criticized in Puerto Rico

BY KEVIN BAXTER

kbaxter@herald.com

The Marlins get their first look tonight at newly refurbished Hiram Bithorn Stadium, the Montreal Expos home away from home in Puerto Rico. But that doesn't mean they'll like it. The New York Mets didn't despite winning two of three games there over the weekend.

More outfield seats, a new scoreboard and new artificial turf have been added since the Marlins last visited in September. The small, dank clubhouses also have been renovated, and the outfield fences have been moved back to the same distances as Montreal's Olympic Stadium: 325 feet down the lines, 375 to the alleys and 404 in center field.

''It looks really nice on television,'' Marlins infield coach Perry Hill says.

But Mets manager Art Howe, who lost three starters to injuries in San Juan, likened the new synthetic FieldTurf to sand, calling it the slowest artificial surface he has ever seen. And after combining for 22 runs and six home runs in their first three games at Bithorn last April, the Mets and Expos managed just 11 runs and two homers in the bigger park this year.

The Marlins have three native Puerto Ricans: Mike Lowell, Wil Cordero and Ramon Castro. Cordero, with the Expos last year, hit .190 in 42 at-bats in San Juan, and Castro hit a pinch-hit home run in his first major league at-bat in Puerto Rico. But Lowell, whose father was a star pitcher for the Puerto Rican national team, was injured and did not play in Bithorn last September. And that, he said, was a major disappointment.

He figures to start all three games this week, and manager Jack McKeon has promised to give Castro and Cordero playing time as well.

ROOKIE DUTIES

Right-hander Justin Wayne is the only rookie on the Marlins' pitching staff, which means he gets stuck carrying the candy bag out to the bullpen before every game.

''It's a rite-of-passage kind of deal,'' says reliever Matt Perisho, who had to do the same thing his first year with the Anaheim Angels. ``It's kind of a way to welcome you to the big leagues.''

Wayne is expected to make sure he has plenty of each reliever's favorite item in the bag -- Perisho is partial to orange Gatorade -- and if one clubhouse is well-stocked with popular treats, he's expected to make sure those snacks get to the next ballpark as well.

So far, however, he's escaped the indignity that befell Pittsburgh rookie relievers Mike Johnston and John Grabow, who had to tout their candy out to the Pirate bullpen in Tweety Bird and SpiderMan backpacks last week. But that's coming, promises veteran Chad Fox.

''We'll have something for him shortly,'' said Fox, who was leaning toward a pink Barbie bag. ``I haven't made my trip to the mall yet. But we'll definitely have something a little more flashy here coming up quick.''

Article

Right-hander Justin Wayne is the only rookie on the Marlins' pitching staff, which means he gets stuck carrying the candy bag out to the bullpen before every game.

''It's a rite-of-passage kind of deal,'' says reliever Matt Perisho, who had to do the same thing his first year with the Anaheim Angels. ``It's kind of a way to welcome you to the big leagues.''

Wayne is expected to make sure he has plenty of each reliever's favorite item in the bag -- Perisho is partial to orange Gatorade -- and if one clubhouse is well-stocked with popular treats, he's expected to make sure those snacks get to the next ballpark as well.

So far, however, he's escaped the indignity that befell Pittsburgh rookie relievers Mike Johnston and John Grabow, who had to tout their candy out to the Pirate bullpen in Tweety Bird and SpiderMan backpacks last week. But that's coming, promises veteran Chad Fox.

''We'll have something for him shortly,'' said Fox, who was leaning toward a pink Barbie bag. ``I haven't made my trip to the mall yet. But we'll definitely have something a little more flashy here coming up quick.''

This reminds me of Super Troopers when Farva had to bring out the coffee all the time and they played with the rookie.

Guest Juanky

Dissapointing news on the new turf. . .

I hope we don't loose anyone to the DL

Yeah, the way the Mets limped out of there isn't sending good thoughts into my head.

LMAO, sucks to be the rookie.

I hope we don't suffer the same sort of injuries the mets suffered there. :thumbdown

not at all ... well they did have Cliff who hates turf.... same with Piazza and his bad knee's

... Hopefully nothing will happen, and I hope that Jack goes with makeshifts lineups for everynight, just in case something is to happen.