Marlins pitchers fanning foes at record pace

dolfinfan305

Marlins pitchers fanning foes at record-setting pace

By Peter Barzilai, USA TODAY

South Florida has been unseasonably breezy this month, and it has nothing to do with low pressure systems or jet streams.

The Florida Marlins pitching staff, which entered Tuesday leading the major leagues with a 1.94 ERA, is striking out batters at a record pace, averaging 8.69 per nine innings.

The main whiffing boys are Josh Beckett (27 strikeouts in 20 1/3; innings), Brad Penny (22 in 20 1/3 innings) and relievers Armando Benitez (nine in eight innings) and Chad Fox (11 in 6 1/3; innings).

"This staff is good," Penny told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel last week. "Right now we're probably pitching better than anyone, and you want to keep it going."

All-time Leaders in SO per 9 innings:

1. 2004 Florida Marlins 8.69

2. 2003 Chicago Cubs 8.68

3. 2001 Chicago Cubs 8.42

4. 2002 Chicago Cubs 8.32

5. 2004 Chicago Cubs 8.26

6. 2002 Arizona 8.11

7. 2001 Arizona 8.00

Source: Elias Sports Bureau

Guest Juanky

Aren't the Cubs leading the league in strikeouts?

Well, I guess that 14 K game against the Braves over the weekend definately helped. Willis only K'd 3 tonight but I think Pavano will be on tomorrow for 6+.

Aren't the Cubs leading the league in strikeouts?

Well, I guess that 14 K game against the Braves over the weekend definately helped. Willis only K'd 3 tonight but I think Pavano will be on tomorrow for 6+.

Yeah, the Cubbies have 116 Ks, but that is in 14 games. We have 108, so need 8 more tomorrow to tie.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.