Clemens, Pettite and Biggio buy single A franchise

Accord

HOUSTON -- Three of the Houston Astros' stars are getting interested in the minor leagues -- as part-owners of two franchises.

Roger Clemens, Andy Pettitte and Craig Biggio plan to become part-owners of Ryan Sanders Baseball, joining Hall of Fame pitcher Nolan Ryan and Houston businessman Don Sanders. The company owns Triple-A Edmonton and Double-A Round Rock. Sanders told Houston television station KRIV that the deal is done pending approval of Major League Baseball.

Clemens said he's looking forward to being involved. "It's just going to be a lot of fun,'' he told KRIV. "As time goes on, I'm sure we will be more and more involved."

Pettitte said he never imagined owning a piece of a franchise.

"Obviously, it's exciting to be offered to get into that, to be able to just be involved with baseball and with Nolan," Pettitte said.

Biggio, acknowledging that one can't play baseball forever, sees it as another way of keeping his foot in the sport's door. ``I'm excited to see how the other side works and operates,'' he said.

http://espn.go.com/minorlbb/news/2004/0513/1800781.html

Guest Moneyball

is there a AAA team in Washington DC? if the expos don't move there, and i had the money i would set up a team there quick!