Player Salary...

According to onestopbaseball.com, Oliver makes $750,000 and Fox makes $1,200,000. If the former gets fired and the latter retires, will that free up funds for a good pitching arm?

Just curious. :blink:

Also...Cabrera is way under paid! $320,000!! The man needs a well earned increase. :notworthy

If we drop Oliver outright we still pay all of his contract. Also, no need to give Cabrera an increase in salary as long as we don't have to.

Cabs will get his money in time. Until then, we shouldnt pay him more than we should.

I think a lot of things depend on how the stadium shakes out. Right now, it is too early to tell and I dont see us taking on any significant payroll. Look at the bottomline right now - we have a $50M payroll and are in 1st place. Not too bad.

Guest Juanky

Isn't Fox being paid by insurance already?

I don't know. Do the Fish take out insurance policies on players? For some reason I thought they didn't. AJ had to. I think for those over $1 million they do. Then Fox would be covered

That stinks!

There are no clauses in those contracts that will free up the funds?

_

Other than trading them, no.

With the players due for arbitration and raises I don't think there's going to be room for Pavano/Benitez unless we fill the bench and bullpen again with league minimum contracts or Loria is willing to increase pay roll again.

My sources say there are 33.38 million tied to four players and extended payments for 2005. Conine has an option which if he chooses to return will jump that number to 37.88 M.

Arbitration eligible restricted free agents (Penny, Burnett, Beckett, etc.) who will be arguing for a raise are making a combined 8 million this year. There's a lot of others, including Choi, Miggy and Willis who Loria will be generous with, that can offer anything and forced to accept, but you're still talking 2 or 4 million depending how many low service guys we carry and the big three's raises.

I'm predicting the payroll will be close to 53 M before free agency.

Pavano's going to be asking for at the very least 6 million per year, Benitez 4 or 5.

The financial outlook for the team is improving with attendance growing and a stadium deal on the horizon.

As they did last year, the FO will make some moves to help fill the gaps and add some energy to the clubhouse. It is a given if they want to keep the momentum building.

It is really a question of when will they make their first move. I would hope it would be in the next few weeks, but they may wait until after the All-Star break as long as we have, or are close to the division lead....giving them a better chance to see what options develop.

We are doing OK, but it is safe to say we do not yet have a team that can take us into the playoffs.

this isn't exactly relevant to this thread, but if you guys remember, the marlins were expected to have a $65 million opening-day payroll on the high end, a $60 million payroll as a middle estimate, and a $55 million payroll on the low end.

in actuality, i suppose you could say we ended up with a payroll on the ultra low end.

i think we could still afford to part with a few more million considering that last season was the most profitable in years and, as pbmarlin pointed out, the financial outlook for the team is good with a stadium on the horizon.

seeing as how we are again in contention (moreso than this time last year), mr. loria better be willing to open up the checkbook and--at the very least--exceed last season's modest payroll. i'm guessing (and hoping) he won't mind doing that.

this isn't exactly relevant to this thread, but if you guys remember, the marlins were expected to have a $65 million opening-day payroll on the high end, a $60 million payroll as a middle estimate, and a $55 million payroll on the low end.

in actuality, i suppose you could say we ended up with a payroll on the ultra low end.

i think we could still afford to part with a few more million considering that last season was the most profitable in years and, as pbmarlin pointed out, the financial outlook for the team is good with a stadium on the horizon.

seeing as how we are again in contention (moreso than this time last year), mr. loria better be willing to open up the checkbook and--at the very least--exceed last season's modest payroll. i'm guessing (and hoping) he won't mind doing that.

I believe it has been the game plan all along to hold back on the total salary at the beginning of the season, leaving room to manuever at mid-season to bring in the pieces we need.

Doesn't that 50M dollar payroll not include the likes of Mike Hampton (our highest paid player)?

actually it does include him and the payment to pudge.

without those payments we have one of the smallest payrolls in baseball--higher than only the expos, indians, pirates, d-rays, and brewers (according to http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/sa....aspx?year=2004 ).

I checked the DugoutDollars link and I dont see any reason to doubt their numbers (although I didnt add them all up) and they come up with a $60.44M price tag. The USA Today numbers come out to $42.1M BEFORE the Fudge and Hampton money. That, I assume, ends up in the $55M range.

What gives?

I do think that the Marlins did go as low as possible, but not necessarily with the intention of keeping money low to make mid-season moves. I think that something happened that they didnt totally expect - like Fudge.