Clinton interview excerpts

Fish Fillet

Clinton on Lewinsky: 'Just because I could'

By Associated Press

Posted June 17 2004, 9:37 AM EDT

NEW YORK -- Former President Bill Clinton tells the CBS newsmagazine "60 Minutes" that he never considered resigning and is proud he fought impeachment, the outcome of his lying under oath about his affair with Monica Lewinsky.

"I stood up to it and beat it back," Clinton says of the impeachment process, which he describes as "an abuse of power."

"The whole battle was a badge of honor. I don't see it as a stain, because it was illegitimate."

The interview, to take up the full hour of Sunday's program, is timed to next week's publication of Clinton's memoir, "My Life," which covers his Arkansas childhood, his tenure as that state's governor as well as his presidency.

Clinton sees the Lewinsky affair as "a terrible moral error" whose disclosure to his wife, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, put him "in the doghouse."

"I did something for the worst possible reason. Just because I could," Clinton says of his infidelity. "I think that's just about the most morally indefensible reason anybody could have for doing anything."

Questioned by CBS News anchor Dan Rather, Clinton said he, his wife and their daughter, Chelsea, dealt with their family crisis through counseling.

"We did it together. We did it individually," he says. "We did family work."

Clinton pronounces his economic plan as his greatest accomplishment of his eight years in office.

"I kept score, how many people's lives were better off," he tells Rather. "People actually had the ability to do more things than ever before."

The former commander in chief also takes pride in assembling the coalition that stopped former Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic's crackdown on independence-minded ethnic Albanians.

"The day that Kosovar war ended and I knew Milosevic's days were numbered was a great day. I had a lot of great days," he says.

Excerpts from the interview, taped Tuesday at Clinton's home in Chappaqua, N.Y., and last weekend in Arkansas, were released Wednesday. The book, published by Alfred A. Knopf, has a first printing of 1.5 million copies.

It's not even worth it to go thru this articel and snipe Clinton's awful attitude towards this whole thing, but you'd think he'd recognize that the only way to get through this and improve his image would be to take a more reconcilatory attitude instead of the belligerence he is now displaying.

Would someone please make this scumbag hick go away? Please, please please make him stop.

There's nothing too bad in this interview. I mean, I've cheated once or twice on a girlfriend. Been found out. I can't think of any better reason. At least he's being honest. It's not worse excuse than half my roommates have made for sleeping with random people.

Clinton for best Pimp of 2004 at next year's players ball.

There's nothing too bad in this interview. I mean, I've cheated once or twice on a girlfriend. Been found out. I can't think of any better reason. At least he's being honest. It's not worse excuse than half my roommates have made for sleeping with random people.

Clinton for best Pimp of 2004 at next year's players ball.

Hey Brian who's that in your sig? :D

Yeah... Too bad he didn't want to be honest when he had to. He should have never lied about that stupid thing under oath or we would have never gone through that impeachment charade.

you'd think he'd recognize that the only way to get through this and improve his image would be to take a more reconcilatory attitude instead of the belligerence he is now displaying.

Clinton sees the Lewinsky affair as "a terrible moral error"

"I did something for the worst possible reason. Just because I could," Clinton says of his infidelity. "I think that's just about the most morally indefensible reason anybody could have for doing anything."

what does this sound like to you, bragging?

and by the way, Clinton will never go away for the simple fact that Republicans can't seem to get over him.

you'd think he'd recognize that the only way to get through this and improve his image would be to take a more reconcilatory attitude instead of the belligerence he is now displaying.

Clinton sees the Lewinsky affair as "a terrible moral error"

what does this sound like to you, bragging?

and by the way, Clinton will never go away for the simple fact that Republicans can't seem to get over him. "I stood up to it and beat it back," Clinton says of the impeachment process, which he describes as "an abuse of power."

"The whole battle was a badge of honor. I don't see it as a stain, because it was illegitimate."

Doesn't sound very reconcilatory to me. Sounds more like feel sorry for embattled little me and the railroading I received through no fault of my own.

And Clinton doesn't go away because his uber-b***h wife and he write books every to months. Oh, and he likes to do little upstaging things like show up at the WTC site right after it happened with no formal authority.

After all these years I still am so disappointed in the american public in general, and women in particular, for giving this guy a free pass on being a complete sleazeball. It's so ridiculous it would be comical if it wasn't the presidency we are talking about.

And Clinton doesn't go away because his uber-b***h wife and he write books every to months. Oh, and he likes to do little upstaging things like show up at the WTC site right after it happened with no formal authority.

Um, one book from each?

And upstaging? She is the frikkin Senator from the state! Unsuprising that of all the political figures who had no official authority to be there, you pick the one you hate and harp on her.

Clinton will never go away for the simple fact that Republicans can't seem to get over him

Exactly. Clinton screwed up. His entire legacy is lost now. But it wont be enough unless he bows at every Republicans feet and begs for forgivness.