Cabrera Must Sit vs. Lefty

FreshFish

Cabrera vs Lefties:

AVG .131

Bad defense + low average and no power against lefty, should be bench time for Miguel. At least Choi provides a solid glove behind 1st, regardless of who the opposition puts on the mound.

/Sacarsm off

It is time that Jack stop reading "How to manage a MLB baseball team by Dusty Baker", and start playing and trusting the players that are supposed to play every day. This is getting silly.

Jack's pretty consistent with his lineup, I think.

Prior to today's game no starter has moved more than 2 spots from their spot in the opening day lineup. And he tries to revert back to that original opening day lineup anytime he can no matter if the team is in a groove or what.

He also tries to give his bench players more starts than most managers.

I know this is a half-joking post, but it brings up an interesting issue. What is up with Miggy and lefties this year?

Here are his split stats for 2003:

vs Left: 95 AB, .364 AVG, 3 HR

vs. Right: 259 AB, .247 AVG, 9 HR

and for 2004:

vs. Left: 43 AB, .143 AVG, 0 HR

vs. Right: 215 AB, .326 AVG, 19 HR

HUH??????

And last year's stats were not a fluke, check out ESPN's scouting report on him (pre-2004 season):

Hitting

Cabrera absolutely kills lefties. Against quality righthanders he tends to be somewhat mortal, especially when they feed him a steady diet of breaking balls. Fastballs don't bother him, as he showed in the World Series when he took Roger Clemens deep after an early dusting. He has power to all fields but does tend to be streaky. He went into a couple of different funks where he chased breaking balls in the dirt, but worked his way out of them each time.

What's going on????

I know this is a half-joking post, but it brings up an interesting issue. What is up with Miggy and lefties this year?

Here are his split stats for 2003:

vs Left: 95 AB, .364 AVG, 3 HR

vs. Right: 259 AB, .247 AVG, 9 HR

and for 2004:

vs. Left: 43 AB, .143 AVG, 0 HR

vs. Right: 215 AB, .326 AVG, 19 HR

HUH??????

And last year's stats were not a fluke, check out ESPN's scouting report on him (pre-2004 season):

Hitting

Cabrera absolutely kills lefties. Against quality righthanders he tends to be somewhat mortal, especially when they feed him a steady diet of breaking balls. Fastballs don't bother him, as he showed in the World Series when he took Roger Clemens deep after an early dusting. He has power to all fields but does tend to be streaky. He went into a couple of different funks where he chased breaking balls in the dirt, but worked his way out of them each time.

What's going on???? you are right, I was joking.

On Miguel, I think some of his hitting mechanics were changed a bit. I'm not complaining since he is demonstrating tremendous power this year. Adjustments must be made along the road especialy with a young player like Miguel. He must play against lefties and make the adjustments himself. THE SAME LOGIC APPLIES FOR CHOI

you are right, I was joking.

On Miguel, I think some of his hitting mechanics were changed a bit. I'm not complaining since he is demonstrating tremendous power this year. Adjustments must be made along the road especialy with a young player like Miguel. He must play against lefties and make the adjustments himself. THE SAME LOGIC APPLIES FOR CHOI

Could the astonishing amount of groundballs that a slugger like Cabrera has hit have something to do with anticipating lefthander's pitches?

You have to leave him in, or else your shooting yourself in the leg. if you dont give him looks at lefties then do you really think he'll improve against them? No. what they have to do is get Robinson to work with him on getting the right look at lefties, release point, wind-up, arm angle, etc. or else cabs will never get any better against south paws, same for Choi too.

You have to leave him in, or else your shooting yourself in the leg. if you dont give him looks at lefties then do you really think he'll improve against them? No. what they have to do is get Robinson to work with him on getting the right look at lefties, release point, wind-up, arm angle, etc. or else cabs will never get any better against south paws, same for Choi too.

The same argument can be made for Choi.

We need to give both of them PT against lefties.