An Interesting Comparison

calvinball

At the beginning of the season Josh Willingham was setting out about once a week (not uncommon for catchers). More recently he has been playing in the field on his off-day instead of sitting (like he did at 3rd base last night). As a result of sitting at the beginning of the season, he got off to a slow start in the at bat column.

I was taking a look at the season stats for the Mudcats and I noticed something interesting. With Jason Stokes injured the last three weeks, Willingham has almost caught up in AB?s. I thought it was amazing how similar their stats are at this point (before 7/4 game). Here?s what I found:

______________AB____AVG___H___2B___HR___TB___RBI___BB___SO___SLG___OBP

Stokes ________228___.272___62 __17___16___127__59 ___21___78___.557 __.341

Willingham _____224___.272___61 __16___17___128__51 ___52___59___.571 __.421

In addition to similar AB totals, they have the same AVG and are within one in four other columns: H, 2B, HR, and TB.

Just for reference, Pierre (339), Lowell (313), Cabrera (313), and Castillo (305) lead the Marlins in AB?s so far this season, and Josh Wilson leads the Mudcats with 301 AB?s.

those show how much more plate displine Willingham has, stokes really has to work on that if he wants to make it to the big show.

440442[/snapback]

it's not really that impressive, he's still striking out once per game.

440580[/snapback]

When your OBP is 150 points higher than your batting average that is impressive. Not only is that impressive, that is unheard of. Players with that kind of ability to get on base don't come around very often, especially considering he is a home run hitter too. 59 K's this far into the season is not bad at all. When you have almost the same # of walks as K's and you are a power hitter, you are doing something right.

those show how much more plate displine Willingham has, stokes really has to work on that if he wants to make it to the big show.

440442[/snapback]

440580[/snapback]

Willingham has struck out 59 times in 74 games (not bad, but, you're right, not great either). The impressive thing about Willingham is the combination of power (SLG- 1st in Southern League) and on base percentage (2nd). Not only does he hit for power but he also gets a lot of walks (1st in league) and gets hit by a lot of pitches (11 - 2nd in league). He finds ways to get on base. If the pitch is there he hits it hard, if it's not there he takes the base. He has a major league bat (and he is working on the D).

Do you guys think this guy can get on base at .350 at the ML level?

That's a drop of over .72 from his AA numbers. Which I think is realistic goal.

.350 OBP + Power, I think a call up may not be a bad idea. . .

440614[/snapback]

I think so, An advantage Willingham has also, is that he can play left field (I'm not sure how well) and corner infield positions along with catcher. I don't think it would hurt to try at this point.

440442[/snapback]

440580[/snapback]

When your OBP is 150 points higher than your batting average that is impressive. Not only is that impressive, that is unheard of. Players with that kind of ability to get on base don't come around very often, especially considering he is a home run hitter too. 59 K's this far into the season is not bad at all. When you have almost the same # of walks as K's and you are a power hitter, you are doing something right.

440589[/snapback]

well bonds is nearly 300 over

and there are 20 other guys in the mlb who regularly start that have OBPs of .400 or better.

Minor league stats have shown to correlate well to MLB performance. I don't have the numbers, but they have been run before.

Of course, it doesn't always work out as predicted, but most of the time it does.

I say let him stay at Carolina for a little while so he can play every day and work on his catching. Later in the year call him up on the expanded roster. Let him pinch hit and play as a utility player (he can pinch hit and then come in to field in a number of positions). Then give him the opportunity to win the starting job in spring training next year. (my 2 cents)

440442[/snapback]

440580[/snapback]

440589[/snapback]

and there are 20 other guys in the mlb who regularly start that have OBPs of .400 or better.

440625[/snapback]

Not sure what you meant by 300 over, but Bonds is an exception. There is no other player even close to the caliber of Bonds. There are currently only 2 other players in the majors with an OBP 150 points higher than their BA, and that is Lance Berkman and Frank Thomas.

440442[/snapback]

440580[/snapback]

440589[/snapback]

440625[/snapback]

And?

What are you saying? That OBP is overrated?

Minor league stats have shown to correlate well to MLB performance. I don't have the numbers but they have been run before.

Of course, it doesn't always work out as predicted, but most of the time it does.

I say let him stay at Carolina for a little while so he can play every day and work on his catching. Later in the year call him up on the expanded roster. Let him pinch hit and play as a utility player (he can pinch hit and then come in to field in a number of positions). Then give him the opportunity to win the starting job in spring training next year. (my 2 cents)

440627[/snapback]

Only problem I have with that is that he wouldn't be available for if we make it to the playoffs if we brought him up then. I'd give him another month, and if he's still hitting the ball well give him a chance.

MLB players with OBP over 421:

1. Barry Bonds .620 (absolute freak)

2. Todd Helton .467

3. Lance Berkman .461

4. Bobby Abreu .444

5. Manny Ramirez .438

6. Frank Thomas .438

7. Melvin Mora .433

8. J. D. Drew .425

I would consider them all impressive players. Now, Willingham has certainly not done this against MLB pitchers, but I would like to see him try.

Farmer fran-

I knew the roster contracted but I didn't realize you had to keep to previous roster for the playoffs. It's good to know.

Willingham has the bat, but I want him to keep getting reps behind the plate for a little while longer. I don't want to see him called up to sit the bench at this point. Ron Massey (Carolina's Manager) was a MLB catcher for over a decade. Carolina is a good place for Willingham to learn the position.

He's doing well. Let's be patient and let him continue. He's on the path.

(Honestly, I'd love to see him in FL too, but, rationally, I think we should wait a little)

Willingham is 4th in the league in runs scored. So, he is doing well in that category also. However, it has a lot to do with his teammates' performance. On the other hand, OBP and power numbers are a better reflection of Willingham's performance.

Check that, he's 3rd in the league in runs scored after tonight's game.

3 for 6 tonight: 2 doubles, 2, rbi's, 2k's, and 2 runs scored, obp up to .425, slg percentage up to .578

obp is over-rated.

obp only matters if you score.

who cares if you're on base and get stranded.

440655[/snapback]

:plain

That may be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

440663[/snapback]

then you're a hermit.

440702[/snapback]

Obp has nothing to do with wether you score or not. It simply measures how often you give your team a chance to make you score. It is an individual stat not a team stat. I second farmer fran's notion.

Guest Juanky

obp is over-rated.

obp only matters if you score.

who cares if you're on base and get stranded.

440655[/snapback]

Then why bother with the 'runs' stat?

With OBP, you are doing your job and getting on base. Lack of scoring means lack of hitting ability behind you.

does anybody have common sense?

obp - the % the time you are on base.

i don't care if you're OBP is 1000.

if you don't score, it means nothing.

maybe i'm the only one who understands what i say.

you can get on base all you want, it's an over-rated statistic.

i'm not saying being on base is bad, but the STATISTIC as a whole is stupid.

you can go 4/4 every game with singles, and get stranded.

yay.

if you want a real statistic, they should make one that includes OBP + RUNS SCORED. that's productivity.

(yes i realize it matters who bats behind you).

it's just a stupid statistic. that's my opinion on OBP, and i'm not changing it.