Stop trying to reinvent the wheel!!!

Fish Fillet

Ok, I know this is tantamount to blasphemy, but I'm sick and tired of all this. Injuries aside, I'm sick and tired of all the shots in the dark call-ups and haphazzard moves the Marlins are making, all in blind hopes of catching lightning in a bottle, a'la Willis/Cabrera a year ago.

Take a look at this:

7/5/2004 Aaron Small - Designated for assignment from Marlins

7/2/2004 Michael Tejera - Sent to minors from Marlins

7/2/2004 Nate Bump - Called up from minors to Marlins

7/1/2004 Aaron Small - Purchased from minors to Marlins

7/1/2004 Aaron Small - Signed to Marlins

7/1/2004 Chris Aguila - Sent to minors from Marlins

6/30/2004 Toby Borland - Outrighted to minors from Marlins

6/28/2004 Toby Borland - Designated for assignment from Marlins

6/28/2004 Chris Aguila - Called up from minors to Marlins

6/24/2004 Michael Tejera - Called up from minors to Marlins

6/19/2004 Justin Wayne - Sent to minors from Marlins

6/17/2004 Billy Koch - Traded from White Sox to Marlins - w/ Cash considerations for Wilson Valdez

6/17/2004 Mike Neu - Sent to minors from Marlins

6/16/2004 Josias Manzanillo - Purchased from minors to Marlins

6/16/2004 Tommy Phelps - Sent to minors from Marlins

6/16/2004 Nate Bump - Sent to minors from Marlins

6/16/2004 Josias Manzanillo - Signed to Marlins

6/15/2004 Justin Wayne - Sent to minors from Marlins for rehabilitation

6/10/2004 Mike Neu - Called up from minors to Marlins

6/3/2004 Admin Sutton - Outrighted to minors from Marlins

6/2/2004 Matt Treanor - Purchased from minors to Marlins

6/2/2004 Matt Treanor - Signed to Marlins

6/2/2004 A.J. Burnett - Recalled from minors rehab to Marlins

5/31/2004 Ben Howard - Called up from minors to Marlins

5/23/2004 A.J. Burnett - Sent to minors from Marlins for rehabilitation

5/20/2004 Josias Manzanillo - Signed to Marlins with a minor league contract

5/19/2004 Admin Sutton - Purchased from minors to Marlins

5/19/2004 Admin Sutton - Signed to Marlins

5/12/2004 Toby Borland - Purchased from minors to Marlins

5/12/2004 Toby Borland - Signed to Marlins

5/11/2004 Franklyn Gracesqui - Sent to minors from Marlins

4/29/2004 Franklyn Gracesqui - Called up from minors to Marlins

4/6/2004 Brian Banks - Signed to Marlins with a minor league contract

4/3/2004 Lenny Harris - Purchased from minors to Marlins

4/3/2004 Damion Easley - Purchased from minors to Marlins

4/3/2004 Damion Easley - Signed to Marlins

4/3/2004 Lenny Harris - Signed to Marlins

4/3/2004 Blaine Neal - Traded from Marlins to Padres - for P Ben Howard

4/3/2004 Matt Perisho - Signed to Marlins

4/3/2004 Matt Perisho - Purchased from minors to Marlins

4/2/2004 Blaine Neal - Outrighted to minors from Marlins

4/2/2004 Michael Tejera - Sent to minors from Marlins

At what point is enough enough? I concede that I'm not a big advocate of team chemistry, etc... But the "win a chance to be a Marlin for a week" charade that the FO has been playing is ridiculous. How many times is a 19 year old in AA going to be the answer? How high of hopes do you really have that the 30 year old retread bully arm is going to really get it going after his third call up? A call up or two during a slump is acceptable, but renting another plane just to haul all of these medocrities back and forth is ridiculous.

As for Jack. Pick a lineup and stay with it for more than a day. Lineups are not like Depends, you should not change them every single day just because they stink. Choi bats 6th, Choi bats 10th. Conine sits, Conine plays left, Conine plays 1st, Conine works the valet stand. Easley at 2nd, Easley at 1st, Easely drives the team bus. Tejera is up, Tejera is down, Tejera is the answer, Tejera is the problem, blah blah blah.... It goes on and on and on with no hopes of stability whatsoever.

Anyways, that's my rant. It's gotten to the point that I need a Census report to fill out a scoring sheet at the games. STOP tweaking, for god's sake. Pick a sqaud and stay with it.

I agree with the lineup argument.

The callups were influenced by different circumstances. Tejera was pitching well, we needed a starter, so he's here, he sucked, now he's gone. Same with Small, he was here because the bullpen was overworked, Beckett came back, he was the odd man out. Gracesqui, Sutton, etc. those were situational callups. Really, I have no problem with what we've done. Should we have called up Willingham sooner? Possibly, but we were calling Nunez a god not too long ago for what he did off of a lot of guys who are bagging groceries right now, so let's give Willy a week to see what he's got.

I don't believe the slide is the result of management making all those moves you listed, but rather all the moves have been made as a result of the slide.

I won't mention any names, but some players have not performed up to their abilities (*cough*, *poop*, *Glass Beckett*, *Conine*, *Castro*, *Oliver*). I know that you are frustrated, but it is silly to blame management for doing what they can to turn things around within the constraints of the limited budget they have. That's baseball, and not just Marlins' Baseball, but Major League Baseball.

While everyone else wants to change the line up. Fickle fans for sure. Some like the lineup and say that McKeon always goes back to the norm while others want to change Pierre/Castillo, Choi/conine and so forth.

It is a game. Everyone is trying to find solutions, we just have not performed.

It's the up-down thing that really gets me.

They better start using velcro to secure the names on the uniforms. There's not enough time for the seamstresses to sew those names on from one day to the next.

It's like if you sneeze in the dugout, you're sent back down, while other players are sitting on the bench complaining how they don't get to play enough (Nu?ez).

I've never seen a manager do this. And I'm sure Jack didn't do this in his other managerial positions.

I agree with the lineup argument.

The callups were influenced by different circumstances. Tejera was pitching well, we needed a starter, so he's here, he sucked, now he's gone. Same with Small, he was here because the bullpen was overworked, Beckett came back, he was the odd man out. Gracesqui, Sutton, etc. those were situational callups. Really, I have no problem with what we've done. Should we have called up Willingham sooner? Possibly, but we were calling Nunez a god not too long ago for what he did off of a lot of guys who are bagging groceries right now, so let's give Willy a week to see what he's got.

443791[/snapback]

Exactly.

I agree with the callups for pitching because, frankly, we have been snake-bitten with our pitching staff. Or is it spider-bitten? Anyways, these were, for the most part, out of necessity. TSwift got that covered.

As for the lineup, I agree with you, Fish Fillet. I have repeatedly asked for a consistent lineup card and called for Conine to bat 3rd and let it ride. Heck, put Choi in 3 and let that ride. Whichever. But you cant expect Conine to hit when you move him all over the place and he is suffering a lingering injury. If Conine was injured, you needed to sit him down and let Nunez play. It couldnt have gotten any worse. If not, play him but put him in a part of the lineup where he will be effective. Yes, 3 is a place for him to be most effective.

Choi has proven he is a solid, major league hitter. He is really blossoming. His power might be down a little right now, but he is getting on base at 38%. You have to utilize that kind of production and keep him there. I think he is fine where he is so dont touch him.

A big problem though is Jack is trying to play catchup with this lineup. The starting pitching has been very inconsistent and Jack seems to percieve that to be the case going in. He manages the game that way too because he is forced to overcome an early deficit. But I agree, we need to stick with one lineup and dont change it. These guys need to feel certain about their roles.

I don't believe the slide is the result of management making all those moves you listed, but rather all the moves have been made as a result of the slide.

I won't mention any names, but some players have not performed up to their abilities (*cough*, *poop*, *Glass Beckett*, *Conine*, *Castro*, *Oliver*). I know that you are frustrated, but it is silly to blame management for doing what they can to turn things around within the constraints of the limited budget they have. That's baseball, and not just Marlins' Baseball, but Major League Baseball.

443828[/snapback]

A month or two I would of agreed with you, but at some point since then the onus has shifted. The constant changes are now a cause of the problems as much as a reaction to them.

All these moves also have to serve as some type of harbinger, as well. Other teams in contention don't make this many non-injury moves while in the chase for a PO spot. Something is amiss, and the FO's reaction to all of this makes me think more that the wheels are going to come off than that the planets will align and the Fish will win the division.

Since when do you actually go to games monsieur FilletO'Fish?

Wait a minute..... You can go see the games live? :mischief2

I don't get it.

Willingham and Howard have been the only Miggy/Dontrelle-type callup. The rest are journeyman minor leaguers who have been filing in for injuries or replacng another failed journeyman minor leaguer on the roster. You aren't suggesting we waste some of what could go to improve the offense or find a sixth starter and go out and get a few bullpen arms, are you?

And what lineup changes? Aside from the unusual amount of playing time reserves have been getting McKeon keeps it pretty simple. 1/2 JP/Luiy, 3/4 Lowell/Cabrera, 5/6 Niner/Choi, 7/8 Redmond/Alex, 9 Pitcher. He switches up JP and Luiy and Mikey and Miggy, but there's only been three games where Jack has veered from that.

I don't get it.

Willingham and Howard have been the only Miggy/Dontrelle-type callup. The rest are journeyman minor leaguers who have been filing in for injuries or replacng another failed journeyman minor leaguer on the roster. You aren't suggesting we waste some of what could go to improve the offense or find a sixth starter and go out and get a few bullpen arms, are you?

And what lineup changes? Aside from the unusual amount of playing time reserves have been getting McKeon keeps it pretty simple. 1/2 JP/Luiy, 3/4 Lowell/Cabrera, 5/6 Niner/Choi, 7/8 Redmond/Alex, 9 Pitcher. He switches up JP and Luiy and Mikey and Miggy, but there's only been three games where Jack has veered from that.

444031[/snapback]

True. The lineup has been pretty consistent all year, but what I think is being addessed here is situations like today when Jack puts out a lineup without the intention of keeping it that way. Just to try and jumpstart a bat or two.

I think he has to be consistent and go with a lineup and stick with it. Dont change it around just to hope for different results. There is a reason you want your best hitters/pitchers performing at cluth moments. There is a reason you design a lineup a certain way too.

Of course, I am one of the few that thinks we have the talent to win right now we just need some minor changes in order to make this team perform better. That, and some consistent pitching from the starters.

Fish O' buddy I think for the most part your rant is adding one and one and getting three.

Injuries have driven this as much as anything. Yes there's been some showcasing but for the most part Fox going down forced the Marlins dig into the minors. Same with Conine to a lesser extent. Losing Cordero. Losing Wayne. Losing Phelps.

Losing Beckett repeatedly.

Most of the moves you list were event driven not on the whim of someone upstairs with too much time on their hands.

I don't know how you get ready this kind of stuff. Do you?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.