Do you like this trade?

miami15

I just got back from New York, but I heard about the trade at like 6:15, though this is my first visit to the site.

I'm wondering what you guys think of the trade.

I'm very disappointed to see Choi and Penny leave, but I think this trade gives us a serious upgrade. Instead of having one of the worst catching situations in baseball, we now have an All-Star. And instead of having a joke of a bullpen, we now have one of baseball's premier setup men. Losing Penny stinks, but he is only 8-8, and his salary will be huge next year. Good to get something in return for him, now. I would have loved to see Choi stay as a Marlin, but even though he showed potential, he wasn't exactly producing as well as he could have.

And I'm not thrilled about Juan Enc coming back, but having a veteran RF'er with some pop, allowing Cabrera to shift over to left isn't such a bad thing. And who knows, 432Juan may not even play a game for us :shifty .

So do you guys like this trade?

This is a deal to win NOW. This demonstrates that the FO is serious about winning and that is a good thing. We gave up some talent for the future, but if you want to win, this is the kind of sacrifice you have to make. If we dont win the NL East or get in the WC, I will be surprised AND this would prove disastrous. I like it.

This is a deal to win NOW. This demonstrates that the FO is serious about winning and that is a good thing. We gave up some talent for the future, but if you want to win, this is the kind of sacrifice you have to make. If we dont win the NL East or get in the WC, I will be surprised AND this would prove disastrous. I like it.

486307[/snapback]

The reason I think that winning now is so important, is because if we're getting 12K a game in September (instead of 30K), why would anyone want to build us a new stadium. Once again, our team is playing to win, and to survive.

nope.

worst trade i can ever remember us doing.

i'm obviously in the minority since the 80% who opposed it disappeared after peter gammons and buster olney gave it their shortsighted and flawed blessings, but the trade still makes zero sense. there are much cheaper ways of getting a setup guy and a "wash" offensively, but i'm not going to get into all that again.

but damn, look at the difference between the results of today's poll and last night's poll. wowsa.

nope.

i'm obviously in the minority since the 80% who opposed it disappeared after peter gammons and buster olney gave it their shortsighted and flawed blessings, but the trade still makes zero sense. there are much cheaper ways of getting a setup guy and a "wash" offensively, but i'm not going to get into all that again.

but damn, look at the difference between the results of today's poll and last night's poll. wowsa.

486447[/snapback]

maybe because we are very close to raping the rockies by trading away the "offensive wash" we aquired yesterday for an all-star caliber player. this deal looks better and better everytime i think about it.

tell me, how we could we get a cheaper setup guy? isnt mota making something like 1.5 mil? that's insane!

nope.

i'm obviously in the minority since the 80% who opposed it disappeared after peter gammons and buster olney gave it their shortsighted and flawed blessings, but the trade still makes zero sense.? there are much cheaper ways of getting a setup guy and a "wash" offensively, but i'm not going to get into all that again.

but damn, look at the difference between the results of today's poll and last night's poll.? wowsa.

486447[/snapback]

maybe because we are very close to raping the rockies by trading away the "offensive wash" we aquired yesterday for an all-star caliber player. this deal looks better and better everytime i think about it.

tell me, how we could we get a cheaper setup guy? isnt mota making something like 1.5 mil? that's insane!

486455[/snapback]

Maybe he means cheap as in giving up some Minor Leaguer instead of Penny.

I, too, didnt like the idea of giving up Choi when I thought we could give up Stokes. But let's face it, if you want to win, you have to pay for it - somehow. Last year, we dealt Bautista and Levinski for Conine and Ad Gon and others for Uggy. We won the World Series and there were people who didnt like the deals when they were being rumored and some still didnt like them afterwards.

I am not saying we are a shoe-in for another World Series title, but we definetly gave this team a better chance to win. You have to pay to win. There is no other way to 'spin' this. We improve at catcher and our bullpen gets a hell of a lot gnastier. Plus, with Enc, we improve our team speed and baserunning as well as our D and our offense. Other than the fact we gave up some pretty good young talent, I fail to see how this is a bad deal. I have certainly come around on this.

nope.

486447[/snapback]

486455[/snapback]

Maybe he means cheap as in giving up some Minor Leaguer instead of Penny.

486456[/snapback]

well if that's the case....then i'll ask him this.

what other set-up guys is there out there in the market? and im not talking about a semi good "project" reliever like billy koch. i mean a proven quality set-up guy like mota....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.