The effects of the deals

jonnylons

I think this deal helps us win NOW and gives away a lot of talent for the future. But this is good because it shows the FO is determined to do whatever it takes to win. And that is a good thing.

Ok...here is my lineup:

JP

Castillo

Lo Duca

Lowell

Cabs

Conine

Enc

AGon

P

Our bullpen now looks pretty damn good:

Manzanillo

Bump

Koch

Mota

Benitez

Now, our rotation is a little scary. Something has to happen considering we dealt away Murphy - who was being discussed (or hyped) as a possible starter this year. Lowe has been mentioned, but I dont know what we would have to give up. So:

Pavano

Burnett

Beckett

Willis

?

Ok...let the discussion commence!

I dont think Messenger is ready. Then again, I know very little about him, truthfully.

I dont have a problem giving up Murphy here. Why? Because basically, we gave up Redman for part of this Dodger deal and for Neu. I think that is pretty good value for a guy we were NOT going to re-sign in the first place. Plus, Enc we got back for cheap and we got Ezi too in that deal (I dont know what he is up to right now...).

Let's not forget, we were also forced to deal Lee away too. I love Choi - I think he is going to be a very good major league hitter. But we will be better overal with Enc in RF and Conine at 1B. Our defense improves dramatically and we make up for the pop we lost in dealing Choi.

Given our trend of transistion from reliever to starter, I dont expect Howard to fare well. Bump, Wayne all got blasted. And Howard has a great live fastball, but he seems to struggle with location and is not always on with changing speeds.

What the hell...cant hurt!

By the way, who is that PTBNL from the Astros?

Howard can't be a starter yet, his control just isn't there. He would be at 80 pitches by the 3rd-4th inning.

Thats a pretty damn good bullpen, Starting pitching is still real good, just need to bank on everyone staying healthy. If the marlins win 6 games on the 5th starter the rest of the year I will be happy. And then move to the 4 man rotation in the playoffs(assuming get there).

As for the lineup, I've said it before, why does Juan have to start. Put Easley at first-he will produce pretty close to what Choi would have. And then the only other replacement is Lo Duca who obviously is an upgrade over Redmond plus it gets us that 3 spot hitter we were all hoping for earlier this year. And so Lowell and Cabs are both in a spot where they fit in a little more.

Enc starts. Sorry. His defense is gold-glove caliber, he runs well and has very good power. He can produce runs and Easely is a liability defensively at 1B and Conine not only has played the position, but is a hot hitter right now (llooking more like the Conine we know).

This deal makes sense in that Conine now can play everyday without worry through the end of his contract. Plus, we fill the holes that this team had in order to be a more consistent winner - although we created one with dealing Penny away. But I am sure that this FO will find a way to patch that up. We just need someone to eat innings.

Another reason this deal makes sense: financial:

Financially, Lo Duca is in the final year of a three-year contract paying $3.9 million this year; Encarnacion's contract pays $3.565 million this year and $4.435 million next year; and Mota earns $1.475 this year. Lo Duca and Mota are eligible for arbitration and in line for significant raises.

Lo Duca: 3.9M

Enc: 3.6M

4.4M

Mota: 1.5M

After this season, Lo Duca and Mota are arby eligible and Enc is still on the books. We obviously didnt think we could afford Penny and Pavs after this season and Benitez will be up for more money. Mota could be our closer next year and Lo Duca could return.

This gives us some financial flexibility - and dont forget those cash considerations that came from LA in this deal and possibly the cash coming from Houston for Oliver.

Miami is a city that is never happy...people obcess over encarnacion and dealing Penny, they don't even realize that the marlins just got an all star catcher and top setup man in exchange for a solid started (not a superstar) and choi who at this point is barely average. i liked choi and penny alot but we raped L.A. in this deal. people have to understand that we couldnt keep both penny and pavano and by making this deal we got top value for Penny. Also consider Benitez is not under contract for next season..Mota gives the Marlins leverage

Mota gives the Marlins a backup plan for our closer needs next year. I think Lo Duca is a very good addition and will help our offense tremendously. But it seems we are keeping Encarnacion at this point - we have to. I dont think we can flip him for a starter right now because we need him to start in RF to get Conine to 1B.

And Cabs WILL bat 5th if McKeon wants to win. In case you forget, sheffknowitall, Cabs hit 5th last year in our run to the playoffs and produced quite well there. Lo Duca OR Conine has got to bat third. You need to lengthen the lineup. That also gives us a 1-5 batting around .300 and Conine could be batting .300 for the second half.

Let's reorder it based on their importance to team:

Pavano

Burnett

Beckett

Willis

Valdez

Worse, and if Beckett goes down and Willis can't give us 5 innings more than half the time...

JP

Castillo

Lo Duca

Lowell

Cabs

Conine

Enc

AGon

P

Marginally improved if you think LoDuca will break his second half curse. A wash if he struggles.

Manzanillo

Seanez

Koch

Mota

Benitez

Much improved.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.