Values spoken vs. Actions taken

Dodge

Why is Bush in this thread? The only time Bush was mentioned in the creation of this thread was that it was a Bush email...the topic of this thread is Kerry and his flip-flopping on issues.

Hell, I'm not defending Bush...I'm waiting to see peopel defend Kerry. Until then, yall are doing nothing but point fingers

489014[/snapback]

therefore the content is obviously biased and the same thing can be found on bush.

its akin to calling the kettle black.

since we want to yap about legislative records of John Kerry....

I'll post this bit from his website...since that seems to be a favorite these days....

Facts on John Kerry's Legislative Record

Continuing to cast one misleading attack after another, George Bush unveiled a new stump speech once again devoid of any ideas for how he would lead the nation but chock full of scurrilous attacks against John Kerry.

Kerry spokesman Phil Singer: "Results do matter, and the fact that George Bush's policies have resulted in record deficits, skyrocketing health costs, lower quality jobs, a military stretched thin and an isolated nation stand in stark contrast to John Kerry's plan to make America stronger at home and more respected in the world."

John Kerry has a distinguished legislative record:

>> He and John McCain negotiated an agreement with Vietnam to provide a full accounting for POW-MIAs.

>> He wrote the first bill reducing acid rain.

>> He has repeatedly led the charge in protecting the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge from drilling.

>> He has passed legislation that shut down money laundering activities of terrorists and drug traffickers.

President Clinton Praised Kerry for Putting 100,000 COPS on the Street ? ?When we tried to get past six years of talking tough on crime but nothing happening, rhetoric and rhetoric and rhetoric and no action, to put 100,000 police on the street, to ban deadly assault weapons to pass the Brady bill, the other side, [the Republicans] led the fight against it. But John Kerry helped us pass the toughest, smartest, best crime bill this country has seen in many a day, and the crime rate has gone down for four years in a row. John Kerry was on the right side of history.? [Public Papers of the President: Fall River, MA; 8/28/96]

Democratic Leader Tom Daschle Says Kerry Knows How to Get the Legislative Job Done in the Senate - Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle had kind words for John Kerry?s work on Campaign Finance Reform when he asked Kerry to chair the Democratic Steering Committee: "From our teen-smoking bill to HMO reform and Campaign Finance Reform, John Kerry has demonstrated that he clearly knows how to get the job done. He is a valued and trusted member of our leadership team, and I am pleased he has accepted another term as Chairman of the Steering and Coordination Committee." [Daschle Press Release, 11/19/98]

Even Dr. Bill Frist, Senate Majority Leader Says Kerry?s Global AIDS Legislation is a ?Huge Step Forward?: ??The Kerry-Frist bill is a huge step forward,? said [current Majority Leader Bill] Frist. ?It further validates U.S. leadership in the global effort to end devastation many countries face in the fight against HIV/AIDS?.? [Office of Senator Frist, press release 7/12/02]

58 bills and resolutions John Kerry has sponsored over the years have passed the U.S. Senate. Countless others have been improved because of his work, including the Clean Air Act, the Children?s Health Insurance Program and the COPS program.

>> John Kerry has taken on the special interests and won.

>> He fought against Newt Gingrich?s anti-labor and anti-environmental regulatory reform.

>> He has fought to raise the minimum wage.

>> He has worked to shut down wasteful corporate subsidies.

>>And John Kerry played an important role in the effort to reach a settlement with the tobacco companies that ended marketing to children and teenagers.

The number of bills that bear your name is a poor measure of legislative accomplishment. For example, Ted Kennedy, who most would acknowledge as the most accomplished Democratic Senator in a generation, has had just 9 bills signed into law in 10 years. Of the more than 400 bills Kennedy sponsored in 108th, 105th and 104th Congresses none were signed into law. And Bill Frist, the Republican Majority Leader, has sponsored 88 bills in the 108th Congress and zero have become law. In the 107th Congress, Frist sponsored 52 bills and 1 became law. It was a bill to authorize and urge the President to promote democracy in Zimbabwe.

Posted by Peter Daou on July 30, 2004 at 05:17 PM

Election 2004

Interesting DaGreatOne...

I'm going by the motto: "The lesser of two evils is still evil."

489017[/snapback]

Good point.

Thats the motto my moms going by. lol

since we want to yap about legislative records of John Kerry....

I'll post this bit from his website...since that seems to be a favorite these days....

Facts on John Kerry's Legislative Record

Continuing to cast one misleading attack after another, George Bush unveiled a new stump speech once again devoid of any ideas for how he would lead the nation but chock full of scurrilous attacks against John Kerry.

Kerry spokesman Phil Singer: "Results do matter, and the fact that George Bush's policies have resulted in record deficits, skyrocketing health costs, lower quality jobs, a military stretched thin and an isolated nation stand in stark contrast to John Kerry's plan to make America stronger at home and more respected in the world."

John Kerry has a distinguished legislative record:

>> He and John McCain negotiated an agreement with Vietnam to provide a full accounting for POW-MIAs.

>> He wrote the first bill reducing acid rain.

>> He has repeatedly led the charge in protecting the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge from drilling.

>> He has passed legislation that shut down money laundering activities of terrorists and drug traffickers.

President Clinton Praised Kerry for Putting 100,000 COPS on the Street ? ?When we tried to get past six years of talking tough on crime but nothing happening, rhetoric and rhetoric and rhetoric and no action, to put 100,000 police on the street, to ban deadly assault weapons to pass the Brady bill, the other side, [the Republicans] led the fight against it. But John Kerry helped us pass the toughest, smartest, best crime bill this country has seen in many a day, and the crime rate has gone down for four years in a row. John Kerry was on the right side of history.? [Public Papers of the President: Fall River, MA; 8/28/96]

Democratic Leader Tom Daschle Says Kerry Knows How to Get the Legislative Job Done in the Senate - Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle had kind words for John Kerry?s work on Campaign Finance Reform when he asked Kerry to chair the Democratic Steering Committee: "From our teen-smoking bill to HMO reform and Campaign Finance Reform, John Kerry has demonstrated that he clearly knows how to get the job done. He is a valued and trusted member of our leadership team, and I am pleased he has accepted another term as Chairman of the Steering and Coordination Committee." [Daschle Press Release, 11/19/98]

Even Dr. Bill Frist, Senate Majority Leader Says Kerry?s Global AIDS Legislation is a ?Huge Step Forward?: ??The Kerry-Frist bill is a huge step forward,? said [current Majority Leader Bill] Frist. ?It further validates U.S. leadership in the global effort to end devastation many countries face in the fight against HIV/AIDS?.? [Office of Senator Frist, press release 7/12/02]

58 bills and resolutions John Kerry has sponsored over the years have passed the U.S. Senate. Countless others have been improved because of his work, including the Clean Air Act, the Children?s Health Insurance Program and the COPS program.

>> John Kerry has taken on the special interests and won.

>> He fought against Newt Gingrich?s anti-labor and anti-environmental regulatory reform.

>> He has fought to raise the minimum wage.

>> He has worked to shut down wasteful corporate subsidies.

>>And John Kerry played an important role in the effort to reach a settlement with the tobacco companies that ended marketing to children and teenagers.

The number of bills that bear your name is a poor measure of legislative accomplishment. For example, Ted Kennedy, who most would acknowledge as the most accomplished Democratic Senator in a generation, has had just 9 bills signed into law in 10 years. Of the more than 400 bills Kennedy sponsored in 108th, 105th and 104th Congresses none were signed into law. And Bill Frist, the Republican Majority Leader, has sponsored 88 bills in the 108th Congress and zero have become law. In the 107th Congress, Frist sponsored 52 bills and 1 became law. It was a bill to authorize and urge the President to promote democracy in Zimbabwe.

Posted by Peter Daou on July 30, 2004 at 05:17 PM

Election 2004

489027[/snapback]

Great post Das.

Gives me some more assurance that Kerry can do the job.

Oh, Kerry can do the job alright.

What he does may surprise you.

The only thing that the Kerry Edwards camp has established as a campaign platform is his Vietnam service and handouts for working class.

They haven't touched any social issues.

Why?

Because their views may surprise the easily duped.

Have a nice day

Come on Beinfest, you know I'm not discussing whether or not Kerry's stances on issues are wrong... I'm presenting facts about what he's said and how he's voted.

Things that make you go "Hmmm.." :shifty

488741[/snapback]

Exactly it makes you go hmmm to find out how different is a leader who doesn't impose his personal beliefs on others. You know, because not everybody is a christian, who believes that gay people are the devil or that the soul comes into the body at conception. Those issues should never be brought about to divide people, but that is what Bush is doing.

Come on Beinfest, you know I'm not discussing whether or not Kerry's stances on issues are wrong... I'm presenting facts about what he's said and how he's voted.

Things that make you go "Hmmm.."? :shifty

488741[/snapback]

Exactly it makes you go hmmm to find out how different is a leader who doesn't impose his personal beliefs on others. You know, because not everybody is a christian, who believes that gay people are the devil or that the soul comes into the body at conception. Those issues should never be brought about to divide people, but that is what Bush is doing.

489195[/snapback]

The leader is elected to represent the people of the country. It is up to us to see that we vote for who we agree with (the most).

So your point that he shouldn't have conservative beliefs because he's the leader of the country is moot.

488741[/snapback]

489195[/snapback]

abortion is a topic that affects everyone's views though, religious or no. Many nonreligious people believe like Kerry does, that conception is when it becomes a human. Unfortunately, Kerry has voted to, according to his beliefs, kill human beings.

So your point that he shouldn't have conservative beliefs because he's the leader of the country is moot.

489205[/snapback]

Once again misrepresenting what I said. I said that he doesn't impose his beliefs on others, not that he shouldn't have them. You should have watched the speech, then you would know what I'm talking about.

488741[/snapback]

489195[/snapback]

abortion is a topic that affects everyone's views though, religious or no. Many nonreligious people believe like Kerry does, that conception is when it becomes a human. Unfortunately, Kerry has voted to, according to his beliefs, kill human beings.

489213[/snapback]

No, he has voted according to his duty to the American people, not imposing his beliefs to others.

I am trying not to misinterpret what you say.

Once again, you are responsible as a citizen for voting for who best represents your views.

Sometimes, an elected official has to "impose his beliefs" on others. That's his job as a leader... to make decisions when the decision is there to be made.

You're pissed off because GWB is doing his job... representing the voters and the electorate and making decisions how he sees fit.

Peace. :cool

ok, you dont understand how a politician should work (in an honest setting..yah, honest politicians...who needs em)...

A politician runs on a platform that HE believes in...the people elect him if they agree with his beliefs....he "imposes" those beliefs, because the people elected him.

Once again, you are responsible as a citizen for voting for who best represents your views.

Sometimes, an elected official has to "impose his beliefs" on others. That's his job as a leader... to make decisions when the decision is there to be made.

You're pissed off because GWB is doing his job... representing the voters and the electorate and making decisions how he sees fit.

489285[/snapback]

No hun, I am not mad at Bush for doing his job. I am mad at him for NOT doing his job and not representing me and half the country. That is what I'm mad about. Now you can claim that Bush is a good President, but the truth is that half the country don't think so and it is unfair for the half of the country who don't believe Gays are evil and that embryos have souls to be pushed to a corner by a President who holds such beliefs. That is what I'm talking about. We can disagree on economic policy or the way one should fight terrorism, but the truth is that these two issues make me think Bush is using them to divide us and for that I won't forgive him.

Sometimes, an elected official has to "impose his beliefs" on others.? That's his job as a leader... to make decisions when the decision is there to be made.

Peace.? :cool

489285[/snapback]

No hun, I am not mad at Bush for doing his job. I am mad at him for NOT doing his job and not representing me and half the country. That is what I'm mad about. Now you can claim that Bush is a good President, but the truth is that half the country don't think so and it is unfair for the half of the country who don't believe Gays are evil and that embryos have souls to be pushed to a corner by a President who holds such beliefs. That is what I'm talking about. We can disagree on economic policy or the way one should fight terrorism, but the truth is that these two issues make me think Bush is using them to divide us and for that I won't forgive him.

489315[/snapback]

OK doll, use your frustration constructively and campaign for Kerry. And vote!

That is truly the best way to make yourself heard.

That way, when the shoes on the other foot and conservatives don't matter in the grand scheme of things in the executive branch, you'll be happy and forget all about the fact that half of the country is not represented.

Sometimes, an elected official has to "impose his beliefs" on others.? That's his job as a leader... to make decisions when the decision is there to be made.

Peace.? :cool

489285[/snapback]

489315[/snapback]

OK doll, use your frustration constructively and campaign for Kerry. And vote!

That is truly the best way to make yourself heard.

That way, when the shoes on the other foot and conservatives don't matter in the grand scheme of things in the executive branch, you'll be happy and forget all about the fact that half of the country is not represented.

489557[/snapback]

'

Dude,

That is the whole purpose of this campaign. Bring back unity. We don't need to be arguing about whether Gays can marry or if stem cell research is morally wrong. What we are trying to do here is bring some sense into the Political process and go back to the issues that do matter. I am pretty sure that you would care more if you have a job tomorrow or money for your tuition than whether two men are getting married in Mass. Your needs as an American will be taken care of under a Democratic administration, even if we disagree with you on faith matters.