Values spoken vs. Actions taken

Dodge

In his acceptance speech before the Democratic National Convention, Senator John Kerry said, "For four years, we've heard a lot of talk about values. But values spoken without actions taken are just slogans. Values are not just words. They're what we live by. They're about the causes we champion and the people we fight for."

Have John Kerry's "values spoken" agreed with his "actions taken?"

Kerry Values Spoken:

Kerry Says He Personally Believes Life Begins At Conception. "I oppose abortion, personally. I don't like abortion. I believe life does begin at conception." (Jonathan Finer, "Kerry Says He Believes Life Starts At Conception," The Washington Post, 7/5/04)

Kerry Actions Taken:

Kerry Voted Against Unborn Victims Of Violence Act "Laci And Conner Peterson Law"

Kerry Has Voted At Least Six Times Against Banning Partial-Birth Abortion.

Kerry Has Voted At Least 25 Times In Favor Of Using Taxpayer Dollars To Pay For Abortions In United States.

Kerry Has Voted At Least Three Times Against Requiring Parental Consent/Notification For Minor's Abortion.

Kerry Has Voted To Allow Schools To Hand Out The Morning After Pill Without Parental Knowledge.

Kerry Has Said That His First Executive Order Would Be To Reverse The Mexico City Policy Banning U.S. Tax Dollars From Being Spent on International Family Planning.

Kerry Values Spoken:

Kerry Opposes Gay Marriage Due To "Personal Belief" That "Marriage Is An Institution Between Men And Women." "I do not support [gay] marriage ... it's just a personal belief about what the relationship of marriage and how it works ... Marriage is an institution between men and women for the purpose of having children and procreating. That's my belief and some people may not like it." ("Kerry: Worst Jobs Record' Since Hoover," The Washington Post, 7/11/03)

Kerry Actions Taken:

Kerry Was One Of Only 14 Senators To Vote Against 1996 Defense Of Marriage Act (DOMA), Which Banned Federal Recognition Of Gay Marriage And Same-Sex Partner Benefits.

Kerry Called Defense of Marriage Act "Fundamentally Unconstitutional"

Kerry Said Resolving The Tension Over Gay Marriage Lies With Judicial Branch, Not Congress.

Kerry Attacked Defense Of Marriage Act As "Gay Bashing."

Kerry Calls President Bush's Support For Constitutional Amendment Banning Gay Marriage Attempt To Divide America.

(This is an e-mail I got from the Bush campaign. It's interesting to see how much he's willing to lie about where he stands to get votes. What a friggin' sell out. :lol )

Come on CF, you know that abortion should be legal up until the last trimester in the pregnancy. And gay marriage should be legal. Why do you worry about it so much, people who are gay deserve the same rights and protections that normal married couples get.

Now being gay to earn money (Kazahito Tadano) or forcing it onto others is a whole different matter. That is what should be put into law, not banning the marriage of two consenting people.

Come on Beinfest, you know I'm not discussing whether or not Kerry's stances on issues are wrong... I'm presenting facts about what he's said and how he's voted.

Things that make you go "Hmmm.." :shifty

488741[/snapback]

His views are his own to use but he is voting for the good of the American people. How should gay marriage be banned? Tell me why?

Come on Beinfest, you know I'm not discussing whether or not Kerry's stances on issues are wrong... I'm presenting facts about what he's said and how he's voted.

Things that make you go "Hmmm.."? :shifty

488741[/snapback]

His views are his own to use but he is voting for the good of the American people. How should gay marriage be banned? Tell me why?

488843[/snapback]

Good Lord dude, what I'm saying is he's a phony, and his quotes and voting records as a senator show it.

I'm not saying I disagree with how he voted.

The point I'm presenting is that I resent that he's pretending to be a conservative Democrat... then again, he's acting liberal too... hell, he's got me confused.

Things that make you go "Hmmm.." :shifty

488741[/snapback]

488843[/snapback]

Good Lord dude, what I'm saying is he's a phony, and his quotes and voting records as a senator show it.

I'm not saying I disagree with how he voted.

The point I'm presenting is that I resent that he's pretending to be a conservative Democrat... then again, he's acting liberal too... hell, he's got me confused.

488900[/snapback]

You mean he acted like a conservative democrat in the senate and now is acting like a Liberal Democrat at his run for president.

:lol

Yeah hes a flip flopper but so are all politicians.

His views are his own to use but he is voting for the good of the American people.

488843[/snapback]

1) Theoretically, people will vote for him because of his own personal views, and so that he won't have to change his views to fit his constituency.

2) As any political science/civics/U.S. government class will tell you, the theory in which a politician votes should be this (in order of most important to least important): a) Personal convictions and beliefs b) Constituents' convictions and beliefs c) Party lines

So, to say that he votes against his own beliefs to fit his constituency is foolish.

mmm k.

No it doesn't work. Because you have done nothing to dispute the arguments set forth. All you have done is to simply try passing the buck or point fingers.

488991[/snapback]

i never said that its untrue.

but for some to simply go blind over bush doing teh exact same thing is stupid.

which is what all these stupid threads seem to do.

we know what Bush has done in the White House...we assume what Kerry would do in teh white house.

biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig difference.

Why is Bush in this thread? The only time Bush was mentioned in the creation of this thread was that it was a Bush email...the topic of this thread is Kerry and his flip-flopping on issues.

Hell, I'm not defending Bush...I'm waiting to see peopel defend Kerry. Until then, yall are doing nothing but point fingers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.