Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Front Office Deserves Credit

Featured Replies

When you think about this they really do.

 

Last season, we would have two guys on, and dispite who was up to bat (besides Luis), it was a strikeout, inning over. This season, you rarely ever see anyone strike out at all, none the less just those situations. At least they make credit every time their at the plate.

 

I hated all those K's last year, and now there are virtually none. Gotta give them credit for this...

When you think about this they really do.

 

Last season, we would have two guys on, and dispite who was up to bat (besides Luis), it was a strikeout, inning over. This season, you rarely ever see anyone strike out at all, none the less just those situations. At least they make credit every time their at the plate.

 

I ahted all those K's last year, and now there are virtually none. Gotta give them credit for this...

I learned a lesson and am now more tolerant (and almost acceptive) of Management. They got Juan Pierre and he makes the game for me! Is there some one who gets credit for the Pierre acquisition? Regarding the fewer K's I credit the coaches who are teaching patience and other (Millar type) mental skills. Guess the "Front Office" gets credit for the coaches.

Kudos to management and the coaches for solving the K problem (CJ and PW) and the Base on balls problem, that killed us last year. Our biggest problem was RISP batting, but with Cabs, Lowell, and the good pitching have helped overshadow and beat that.

  • Author

They got Juan Pierre and he makes the game for me! Is there some one who gets credit for the Pierre acquisition?

The Front Office should get more credit than the coaches. They knew the guys they went out and got don't K often, which was probably half the reason they got him in the first place...

I think the FO deserves some credit, but I think the jury is still out. Obviously, the Willis deal and other moves definitely deserve to be in the positive column. But also consider:

 

One year contracts: This truly could be the one aspect of the FO's ideology that turns into a complete debacle unless Beinfest makes some great moves and gets real lucky.

 

The speed team: The speedy lineup that piled up SB's was clearly ineffective, as evidenced by the team record pre -vs-post Torborg.

 

The trades that didn't work: Millar-gate is haunting the Marlins, especially every time H-Worth took his lumps in the 1st third of the season. Ditto on Preston Wilson to some extent. The only thing making these trades bearable is the superb performance of the players Beinfest has aquired in other trades and call-ups (and the dreadful performance of the players he unloaded like Clement and Dempster).

 

Torborg-gate: No matter whether you were for the axe or agaisnt it, you have to admit it was done in a pretty shabby manner.

 

I think that regardless of what has happened so far, Beinfest, Loria and the rest fo the FO will be judged purely and soley on what happens in the next two months.

 

And remember, the Fish were only 6.5 games out of the Wildcard last year when they dumped CLiffie and Dempster, they are 8.5 out now.

Can't win everyone Fish Fillet. Beinfest has done pretty good considering his resources and situation.

Capefish

 

I agree that they have been above average so far. All I'm saying is that in 8 months or a year from now no one will care about what has happened so far this year.... Opinion will be purely based on how well (or bad) the FO did at the trade deadline and during the off-season.

This is a critical time, but with God's will something good will drop on the Marlins and the club will continue it's success seen so far under this owner.

  • Author

The trades that didn't work: Millar-gate is haunting the Marlins, especially every time H-Worth took his lumps in the 1st third of the season.

From what I've seen over the past three games, I have two words that makes the Millar trade somewhat of a succees.

 

Miguel Cabrera

 

Without Millar going to Boston, where he is happy because of being on a winning team and the Monster help his production, Cabs would have never gotten the call, would have never won those two games for us. Dispite being 2-10, Miguel has impressed me to the extent Willis did after his first dominant start. He has great plate patience, and when he gets the ball he wants, you better hope it loses its bags on the trip and hits the wall instead of going over. I'm happy for Kevin and what he's done, but I think we'll be happier with Cabs.

 

BTW: I was watching BT last night, and after seeing the clip again, that ball was a HR. He lined it and made the play go fast so you couldn't really notice, but it hit about six inches away from the Budwiser ad and hit the folded bleachers, and fell back on the field. It should have been ruled a HR, but Rocco played it so fast they didn't notice. It was gone.

This is a critical time, but with God's will something good will drop on the Marlins and the club will continue it's success seen so far under this owner.

 

Success? I think treading water may be a better description. Call it success when Loria and his boys win more than they lose.

  • Author

This is a critical time, but with God's will something good will drop on the Marlins and the club will continue it's success seen so far under this owner.

Something GOOD will happen for this franchise!!! :o

 

About time... :thumbup

From what I've seen over the past three games, I have two words that makes the Millar trade somewhat of a succees.

 

Miguel Cabrera

 

Yeah, Cabrera shows talent, but he's ONLY PLAYED THREE GAMES! I mean, c'mon now.

 

Besides, comparing Millar to Cabrera isn't accurate. If Millar is on the Marlins' roster Cabrera doesn't get called up to play to OF, he waits until after the deadline and takes over 3B.

I know there are very real financial concerns confronting the Marlins. But, the acquisitions of Encarnacion, Pierre and Cabrera are exciting and reassuring. I don't think they will make the mistake of trading Lowell. He is getting stronger and stronger and has not reached his peak. And we need a Hero who is not just passing through.

  • Author

Exactly. That's what I wrote!

 

So I would have rather traded Millar to have Cabs play LF rather than Millar in LF and Cabs in AA...

 

I have seen Cabs prior to the Majors, and I saw how good this kid was. I'm sorry but in the three games he's been here he has impressed the hell out of me. Sorry if you don't feel the same way, but he is staying back on the ball and driving. He is being patient. In those three games, he's looked like a 10 year vet...

  • Author

I know there are very real financial concerns confronting the Marlins. But, the acquisitions of Encarnacion, Pierre and Cabrera are exciting and reassuring. I don't think they will make the mistake of trading Lowell. He is getting stronger and stronger and has not reached his peak. And we need a Hero who is not just passing through.

They know that.

 

If they trade Mikey, they better be right about Cabs being better than him sooner rather than later. I still don't think Lowell is going anywhere. The front office KNOWS that these fans will NOT tolerate their best player being torn away from them again. If Castillo is traded, the fans won't care very much. If Lee goes, they might somewhat react negitively, but if the team still wins as much they'll recover. If Lowell goes, all hell will break loose, and the team plain an simply won't win games.

 

They know how hostile these fans are, and that you can't take away their fan favorite again. If the New Mr. Marlin, the Hulk goes, some/most of these fans will walk right out of here with him. It's that simple.

 

They will not sell tickets without Lowell at the hot corner. Period.

Exactly. That's what I wrote!

 

So I would have rather traded Millar to have Cabs play LF rather than Millar in LF and Cabs in AA...

 

I have seen Cabs prior to the Majors, and I saw how good this kid was. I'm sorry but in the three games he's been here he has impressed the hell out of me. Sorry if you don't feel the same way, but he is staying back on the ball and driving. He is being patient. In those three games, he's looked like a 10 year vet...

No, you wouldn't of traded Millar and played Cabs in LF. No one would of at the time, it wasn't within the realm of possibility.

 

Gimme Millar over Cabs every time right now. In a year or two, if Cabs pans out to be half as good as he looks, then OK. But to state that you would rather have Cabrera called-up in the Bigs out of position instead of a proven RBI guy in Millar, no way.

  • Author

You're right, at the time I would have said yes Millar, no Cabs.

 

NOW, after seeing him play in only three Major League games, I'd rather have Cabs. Seriously. He just has this demeanor of a Stud. The swagger. You can just see it.

The front office KNOWS that these fans will NOT tolerate their best player being torn away from them again....
In a strict business sense....What fans? I mean seriously. If you are the FO, you compare the paltry revenue generated by 8-15K fans a night compared to the 5-7 mil all-star you will get nothing for if you keep him...No brainer.
They know how hostile these fans are, and that you can't take away their fan favorite again. If the New Mr. Marlin, the Hulk goes, some/most of these fans will walk right out of here with him. It's that simple.

No one liked it when Floyd went bye-bye either. Granted, he's not Mike Lowell, but at the time the Fish were once again dumping salary by trading one of their top offensive threats.
NOW, after seeing him play in only three Major League games, I'd rather have Cabs. Seriously. He just has this demeanor of a Stud. The swagger. You can just see it

 

Maybe your hopes and dreams for a great Cabrera career are getting in the way of what is going on today. Like I said, he's got a lot of potential and a great track record in the minors...But three games tells you NOTHING. And I, like probably every other GM out there, doesn't place alot of importance on "swagger" or the "demeanor of a stud."

  • Author

a strict business sense....What fans? I mean seriously. If you are the FO, you compare the paltry revenue generated by 8-15K fans a night compared to the 5-7 mil all-star you will get nothing for if you keep him...No brainer.

Of the 10,000 to 20,000 that show up, about half of those few fans will walk. Dispite payroll, if those fans go, than your screwed. Keeping Lowell would keep those fans there, and maybe even bring in some more in the future.

 

No one liked it when Floyd went bye-bye either. Granted, he's not Mike Lowell, but at the time the Fish were once again dumping salary by trading one of their top offensive threats.

You answered your post. Cliff Floyd is not Mike Lowell, Cliff Floyd was going to make MORE money than Lowell will, and that team was LOSING.

 

Maybe your hopes and dreams for a great Cabrera career are getting in the way of what is going on today. Like I said, he's got a lot of potential and a great track record in the minors...But three games tells you NOTHING. And I, like probably every other GM out there, doesn't place alot of importance on "swagger" or the "demeanor of a stud."

 

Cabrera has driven in 3 runs in three games played. He has a HR and a triple in three games. His frist three games ever. That telle me something. I know that my personal feelings of him seeming to be a stud aren't worth much, but they tell me something. I just hope I'm right.

I'm sorry, but when it comes to this big of a personnel issue, the fans just don't matter, especially when they contribute almost nothing to the bottom line, whether it's 5K of them or 15K.

 

Look at it this way, if you don't get anything for Lowell, what do you think the fan support will be when not only is he gone but you have gotten nothing for him. That's the key, b/c even if you keep him around until the end of the season, there is every reason to believe he still won't be here next year.

  • Author

Look at it this way, if you don't get anything for Lowell, what do you think the fan support will be when not only is he gone but you have gotten nothing for him. That's the key, b/c even if you keep him around until the end of the season, there is every reason to believe he still won't be here next year.

If they don't trade him this July, consider him a Marlin for the next few years. His price will be highest after the AS break, and if he doesn't go then, the FO's intentions would point to a contract longer than 1-year.

They can't afford it. If Lowell goes to arby you are looking at 6-8 mil. Plus there is no way he wants any part of the FO's one-year contract crap. He deserves better, but won't get it. That means no contract extension and a disgruntled player.

 

If he goes to arbitration can you say "sign and trade"?

  • Author

They can't afford it. If Lowell goes to arby you are looking at 6-8 mil. Plus there is no way he wants any part of the FO's one-year contract crap. He deserves better, but won't get it. That means no contract extension and a disgruntled player.

 

If he goes to arbitration can you say "sign and trade"?

For one, they couldn't afford Pudge, yet here he is...

 

They might be able to get somewhat of a hometown discount for Lowell, not much of one but probably a little bit. And this team IS Mike Lowell. He is the only star power on this team, and they way the rookies are looking, if they can manage to keep Lowell, next year they could very well be very competive, with or w/o Castillo/Lee... Cabrera could have a big impact in his sophmore year, and if Willis is just as good/better than he is this year next year, he not only will be an AS but a Cy candidate. Burnett will be back, maybe cheaper, Beckett, Penny might be, just so many things would be possible for next season if Lowell stayed. And you never know, they may look at signing Lowell long-term as an early ahort coming, but a long-term succees.

 

None of us know what will happen. We can't fortell the future. So why don't we all just hope for what could be the best situation next year. And Filet O' Fish, don't post some sarcastic remark about this last paragraph... I know it's coming...

When you think about this they really do.

 

Last season, we would have two guys on, and dispite who was up to bat (besides Luis), it was a strikeout, inning over. This season, you rarely ever see anyone strike out at all, none the less just those situations. At least they make credit every time their at the plate.

 

I hated all those K's last year, and now there are virtually none. Gotta give them credit for this...

very tru , now what the front office needs to do is sign the players for multi - years

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.