Josh Wilson

Wilson: Driving cross-country

Josh Wilson is a shortstop in the Florida Marlins organization. Selected in the third round of the 1999 draft, the Pittsburgh native spent the 2004 season with the Double-A Carolina Mudcats and Triple-A Albuquerque Isotopes. The 23-year-old hit .315 with a .396 OBP and .486 SLG in 81 games with Carolina, then hit .279/.337/.408 in 56 games for the Isotopes. He's a member of the Phoenix Desert Dogs this AFL season.

Hey there!

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Josh Wilson and I'm a shortstop in the Marlins organization.

I arrived here in Phoenix after a four-day long road trip which took me across just about the entire country. I made a couple stops to see some friends along the way to break up the monotony of the drive.

I made one stop in Albuquerque where I finished up this season to see a couple friends I made during my time there. When I left after the season I had no idea I would be back so soon but it was nice to get back and see my friends even though we didn't have much time to spend together.

After Albuquerque, I made my way to Tucson, Ariz., to see one of my teammates, Dennis Anderson. Dennis and I were roommates while I was in Carolina and he is one of my best friends in the game.

After all the driving I did I was pleased to learn that Dennis' mom, who lives just a few minutes away, had cooked dinner for us. A home cooked meal was just what the doctor ordered after so much fast food on the road.

I had a blast while I was in Tucson and my hopes are that the good times will continue here in the AFL. We had our first workout Thursday morning. I was very excited to see my buddies that I hadn't seen since I left Carolina and to meet the rest of the guys who will make up the Phoenix Desert Dogs.

I am also looking forward to getting some emails. Hopefully I have some fans out there or maybe just some good baseball fans with questions that I might be able to help out with. So here is to another AFL season. I am looking forward to it.

Send Josh an email!

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...s_fla&fext=.jsp

nice aritcle, you can email Josh as well and wish him good luck

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/..._news&fext=.jsp

What's up all you baseball fans?

I can't believe the response I got from the first journal. Thank you to all who wrote emails. I will do my best to answer as many questions as I can but I have to apologize in advance because I don't think I'll be able to get to all of them.

Anyhow, my first week out here has been great. The weather is awesome, our field and clubhouse are very nice and Scottsdale is an awesome place to spend time away from the field. We have played four games so far and are unbeaten. Two of the games went into extra-innings which has made for two pretty long days. I started the first game at second base and in my first at-bat I hit a home run on the first swing I took. That certainly got the jitters out after not playing in a game for about three weeks.

The rest of the day didn't go quite so well for me, though, as I finished the day 1-for-4. But we won the game in the 11th and that's what really counts. On Wednesday, I didn't start but I came into the game bottom of the ninth to play short. The game was tied and I was hoping to get a chance to hit. I finally came up in the 11th with a runner in scoring position and a chance to put us on top but I lined out to left to end the inning. We got three outs in the bottom of the 11th and that is where the game was suspended due to league rules. So we will finish that game the next time we play the Solar Sox as part of a suspended doubleheader.

On Thursday, I enjoyed our first off-day since we've been here. My roommate Mike McNutt and I got a chance to get out and see a little bit more of Scottsdale and we tried to work up some sort of tan out by the pool. After our relaxing day, we headed out to dinner with a friend of Nic Ungs' (a teammate of ours from Carolina) who goes to school out here at ASU. Then I caught the end of the Cardinals and Dodgers while trying to sort through the mass amounts of emails I received.

Speaking of which, let me now answer a few questions...

I had a bunch of emails about where I would play next season and if I would take over for Alex Gonzalez in the big leagues. I'm not really sure what the Marlins have planned for me, but I certainly hope to play in Miami next year. Taking Alex's spot as a starter is pretty unlikely for next year, I think.

A couple of emailers asked if I might switch positions. That is a pretty good possibility. I am going to be playing a lot of second base out here so the Marlins can see how I perform on the other side of the infield. So my ticket to the bigs next year might be as a utility guy. As for third base, I don't think that is too likely but you never know.

I had one email asking about the differences between Double-A and Triple-A and the adjustments I had to make. I can tell you this: Triple-A is definitely a whole new level. There are former big leaguers all over the place and most of them are just about a phone call away from being back in the bigs. The biggest adjustment for me was adapting to the pitchers. Guys in Double-A for the most part have real good stuff but there are a lot of guys still learning how to pitch and set up hitters. In Triple-A, not only do the pitchers have good stuff, just about all of them know how to pitch and expose weaknesses in hitters. So that was a big difference in my opinion.

I was also happy to learn about some numbers I was putting up on one emailer's video game: eight bombs and 39 RBIs in 30 games. Not too shabby for a skinny middle infielder. Thanks for that email, buddy.

I also have to send a big shout out to my boy Will back in Carolina...What up bro?

Keep the emails coming.

Josh

If he did come to the site(and post like Schilling did) I have a feeling it would be chaos. Everyone would try to get their own question in and then you'd have some users going OMG YOU'RE HOT!!! This doesn't happen at SOSH because you have to apply for membership and be sponsored. Don't get me wrong I love this board I just don't know what would happen in that scenario.

If he did come to the site(and post like Schilling did) I have a feeling it would be chaos. Everyone would try to get their own question in and then you'd have some users going OMG YOU'RE HOT!!! This doesn't happen at SOSH because you have to apply for membership and be sponsored. Don't get me wrong I love this board I just don't know what would happen in that scenario.

590233[/snapback]

Over Josh Wilson? :lol

He seems like a nice kid and all, but I'm sure even he'd admit that, as a AAA baller, he isn't quite the celebrity of a Curt Schilling.

Now if Miguel Cabrera were to post on here...dios mio. :o

I think it's worth a try. The mods can keep an eye on his threads just in case, but I don't think it'll be a big problem. Most people don't know who he is, and those who do are slightly more mature than the rest.