Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Looper

Featured Replies

ive beenr reading a lot about looper being traded...sure his salary doubles next season, but he will only be 3 mil, i think we can work something out and keep him, (aka. dumping Vladamir useless)...it would be really dumb to give up looper since he is the only guy doing good for us out of the bullpen...doing awesome for us !.....any thoughts, have you guys read the same stuff?

I cringed when Alfonseca came in. He accumulated the stats but scared the hell out of me almost every time. Looper does the same for me. Thought maybe Tejara could do it, but he's been a no show. Thought Spooney could do it (had requsite tattoos and attitude) but he's DL long term. As far as I'm concerned we don't have a closer.

  • Author

I cringed when Alfonseca came in. He accumulated the stats but scared the hell out of me almost every time. Looper does the same for me. Thought maybe Tejara could do it, but he's been a no show. Thought Spooney could do it (had requsite tattoos and attitude) but he's DL long term. As far as I'm concerned we don't have a closer.

are you crazy???!!!, looper gets the job done!, he has been great for us this year, he has been clutch, only time he got knocked around was at fenway, but he still got save, he only has one BS all year, im gonna have to disagree with you there hard core

I cringed when Alfonseca came in. He accumulated the stats but scared the hell out of me almost every time. Looper does the same for me. Thought maybe Tejara could do it, but he's been a no show. Thought Spooney could do it (had requsite tattoos and attitude) but he's DL long term. As far as I'm concerned we don't have a closer.

are you crazy???!!!, looper gets the job done!, he has been great for us this year, he has been clutch, only time he got knocked around was at fenway, but he still got save, he only has one BS all year, im gonna have to disagree with you there hard core Apparently, we disagree. But I am not calling you "crazy???!!!"

I think we'll keep Loop. We need to. Spoony is valuable from the set-up, and we can't afford to lose another pen pitcher...

  • Author

ive beenr reading a lot about looper being traded...

 

Where have you been reading this? his name always pops up along with castillo and lee and penny....ill find some quotes

  • Author

ive beenr reading a lot about looper being traded...

 

Where have you been reading this? Though the Marlins are committed to Lowell through 2003, the club's financial realities preclude them from giving players such as Castillo, Derrek Lee and Braden Looper similar guarantees.

 

Keeping the current team intact would mean a payroll increase of about $30 million.

 

"You never know what to expect," Castillo said. "I'm just waiting until next year [when]I'm a free agent. I want to finish well. I want to finish the year here."

 

Looper and Lee are fifth-year arbitration-eligible players. Lee will earn an estimated $7 million in 2004. Looper could see his $1.6 million salary more than double next season.

 

"That would be nice for a lot of guys, including myself," Looper said of a Marlins commitment. "Whether that situation arises is yet to be determined. Because they do it with one guy doesn't mean five other guys won't be traded.

 

"It's definitely a step in the right direction, and it shows that they're committed to this team and want to win. That's what it takes, to keep guys like Mikey around. You can make a trade all you want, but you're not going to get a player to step in and do what he's doing right now."

 

an article from the sun sentinle........not the first time i heard his named mentioned

If the Marlins truly are bent on contending, they'll keep Looper. No one else in the 'pen is ready to close. And I doubt they'd get one in a trade.

Looper is a FA at seasons close and they acquired Spooney to be the next closer, although I'd like to sign Looper again.

Looper is a goner if Lowell is re-signed. He's a good closer, but too expensive, especially when you can try Spoony out at closer for relatively cheap.

 

If Lowell goes, then Loop will probably stay.

Looper is a goner if Lowell is re-signed. He's a good closer, but too expensive, especially when you can try Spoony out at closer for relatively cheap.

 

If Lowell goes, then Loop will probably stay.

Yep. Loop is just winding down a 3yr deal and will probably make more then the $1.6 mil slated to him with incentives. He will want a multi-year deal and I'm not counting on the FO giving him one. He could command anywhere between 3-6 million a yr depending on his 2nd half. If we remain in the wild card race he won;t be dealt. We might get a draft pick if he resigns elsewhere in the offseason.

I'm sure any long-term deals that a Marlins player signs won't have much garunteed money, but filled with incentives...

He is a 6yr vet and with his performance he doesnt have to accept backloaded/incentive contracts from the cheap marlins FO. I'm sure he can find ample compensation elsewhere. I don't think he has elite closer stuff, but could be an incredible setup man for any team.

He's been a damn good closer for us thus far...

Definitely, but his ratios (K/IP) don't match up with other elite closers.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.