Gays and Christianity

legacyofCangelosi

Someone had to post this and it might as well have been me. Politics aside, I wonder what it must be like for someone who is Christian and a practicing homosexual. I understand that under christianity's absic tenets we must love our neighbors and not judge others. However, the bible is agaisnt practicing homosexuality, so how would someone deal with this type of issue.

Doesn't repentance make up for the sin? I mean, by Christian doctrine, we're all sinners and all sins are created equally, so wouldn't that be a way to not necessarily justify, but allow for homosexuality to exist. Then again, you're told to hate the sin and not the sinner, but who knows. Christianity and all religions have a tendency to be construed however particular biases are in the contemporary world.

If you're interested in my take...

I see all sins as equal, because they are, according to Christian doctrine. It doesn't make me uncomfortable, and I don't think God will make an exception for homosexuals and send them all to hell regardless of their faith.

If one is going to worry about being homosexual more than worrying about lying or stealing, they're off base.

If you're interested in my take...

I see all sins as equal, because they are, according to Christian doctrine. It doesn't make me uncomfortable, and I don't think God will make an exception for homosexuals and send them all to hell regardless of their faith.

If one is going to worry about being homosexual more than worrying about lying or stealing, they're off base.

676941[/snapback]

This is a great answer. The problem is that I feel that religious law and God have common sense. Basically sins hurt others. Perhaps premarital sex CAN be a sin if one uses another person for pleasure and it ends up hurting one of the parties involved. Same with homosexuality. I know 2 gentlemen who have lived together for over 15 years ina loving relationship. This should be more more a sin than a heterosexual couple who get married but dont love each other and are constantly cheating on each other or doing other thing that hurt the other person. This is my take. I havent really thought this through enough though.

Homosexuality is an abomanation in God eye.Is there different degrees in sin?

I think there is if you look back in the old testament but it shouldn't be an excuse to live in sin.You're still living in sin without repentance and it will keep you apart from God.

Now there many cases were homosexuals turn to Christ and through Christ were able to defeat homosexuality.

I think there is if you look back in the old testament but it shouldn't be an excuse to live in sin.You're still living in sin without repentance and it will keep you apart from God.

Now there many cases were homosexuals turn to Christ and through Christ were able to defeat homosexuality.

682853[/snapback]

How do you know that homosexuals don't repent for being homosexuals? Also, I think that whole "through Christ defeat homosexuality" thing is a bunch of crap. You can certainly keep your homosexuality in check (just like anyone can keep their desires in check), but you can't change who you are at the core. God loves a gay person just as much as any sinner, IMO.

the only problem is that with repentence there are conditions

you can't just say the words .... if you don't truly feel sorrow for the sin and have the pure intentions of not committing that sin again then the repentence is hollow

anyhow, more to the subject I'm sure it would be extremely difficult. It would also depend on what sect of christianity you follow ... some interpretations could be a little more lenient

personally I have no problems from a religous standpoint because I don't buy into 90% of the dogma ... i think someone who is strong willed enough to not allow themselves to be boxed into the centuries old thought process of conventionally religion can have both a spiritual and homosexual existence

they can still be charitable, believe in the afterlife, creation, forgiving of sin, etc

remember, self pleasure is still considered sin by many christian religions .... do you think that will land you in the gates of hell?!

682853[/snapback]

How do you know that homosexuals don't repent for being homosexuals? Also, I think that whole "through Christ defeat homosexuality" thing is a bunch of crap. You can certainly keep your homosexuality in check (just like anyone can keep their desires in check), but you can't change who you are at the core. God loves a gay person just as much as any sinner, IMO.

682911[/snapback]

1 Corinthians 6:9-11

9 ? Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Romans 1:18-27

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

19 ? Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

BTW

All things are possible through Christ who strengthen me(Forgot the verse).

My dad cousin was homosexual for many years.He genuinely repented and the man is now a pastor.He is married and has big family.He is a new creation through Christ.

683001[/snapback]

Philippians 3:14.

And for anyone who cites the Old Testament as a reason that gays cannot be Christian, check this out.

Dear Dr. Laura,

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind him that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and how to best follow them.

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

d) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

e) I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an Abomination (Lev 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

g) Lev 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev 19:27. How should they die?

i) I know from Lev 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev 24:10-16) Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted disciple and adoring fan.

i) I know from Lev 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

Obviously written by a gay person. Every heterosexual man knows a football is made of leather.

At any rate, I still believe you can't change from gay to straight. You're one and/or the other. All you can do is deny your urges.

In fact Leviticus 20:13 seems to say you should put men to death who have sexual relations.

And 20:9 seems to say children who curse their parents shall surely be put to death.

Etc, etc, etc... yeehaw.

'course that's just the silly old testament which you can ignore at your whim I guess.

A friend of mine who is liberal came up with one of the best arguments against homosexuality Ive heard involving genetics. He has kept it under wraps generally though because it is very theoretical and also goes against his equal protection of the law principles. Plus he doesnt want the Christian right to be making the argument.

btw, does the New Testament ever talk about homosexuality?

i have no problem with it.

let the man upstairs decide if its screwed up or not.

its a personal decision and those casting stones upon gays are the first committing a sin.

same thing with abortion and all other of these 'major christian issues'

we dont judge here on earth. the judge, jury and executioner is the man upstairs. we have to make the decisions we make and then live with them and hope that when we screw up the man upstairs will forgive us for them ultimately.

A friend of mine who is liberal came up with one of the best arguments against homosexuality Ive heard involving genetics. He has kept it under wraps generally though because it is very theoretical and also goes against his equal protection of the law principles. Plus he doesnt want the Christian right to be making the argument.

683215[/snapback]

Could it be that passing on a so called "homosexual gene" is in essence, impossible?

683215[/snapback]

Could it be that passing on a so called "homosexual gene" is in essence, impossible?

683456[/snapback]

Actually has nothing to do with choice but rather how it affects gene pools.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.