Hitch Takes #1 Spot in Box Office

DaGreatOne

Will Smith stars in Hitch

More Photos...

Smith's 'Hitch' Carves Rich Niche at Box Office

Sunday February 13 1:36 PM ET

Just in time for Valentine's Day, Will Smith spread the love at the weekend box office in North America as "Hitch" hiked to the No. 1 slot with a record opening for a romantic comedy, according to studio estimates issued on Sunday.

The film sold a better-than-expected $45.3 million worth of tickets in the three days since opening on Friday, and gave its distributor, Sony Pictures, a rare trifecta at the box office.

The Sony Corp.-owned studio also claimed the No. 2 spot with last weekend's champion, the horror movie "Boogeyman," which was followed by another former chart-topper, the Ice Cube comedy "Are We There Yet?"

A Sony official said the last time a studio won the trifecta was in 1989 when Universal Pictures ruled with "Sea of Love," "Uncle Buck" and "Parenthood."

The previous record for a romantic comedy bow was held by Sony's "50 First Dates," which kicked off a year ago with $39.9 million.

Smith, better known for action flicks like "Independence Day" and "Men in Black," makes his romantic comedy bow in "Hitch" as a "date doctor" who has trouble following his own rules. Eva Mendes and Kevin James co-starred. Smith's company, Overbrook Entertainment, also produced the $70 million film. Sony said it would have been happy with an opening in the mid-$30 million range.

"Boogeyman," a low-budget horror film, earned $10.8 million in its second weekend, taking its 10-day haul to $33.3 million. While such genre pictures can lose up to two-thirds of their audience in their second weekends, "Boogeyman" slipped just 43 percent.

"Are We There Yet?" also enjoyed a good hold, off just 20 percent to $8.5 million as it held steady at No. 3. It has earned $61.5 million after four weekends.

Oscar nominee "Million Dollar Baby" rose one to No. 5 with $7.6 million, for a total of $45.1 million to date. Director Clint Eastwood's boxing melodrama was released by Warner Bros. Pictures, a unit of Time Warner Inc.

Walt Disney Co's kids cartoon "Pooh's Heffalump Movie" opened at No. 5 with $6.0 million, in line with the studio's expectations.

In the limited-release world, "Bride and Prejudice," a "Bollywood"-inspired update of Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice," opened with a strong $388,000 from 32 theaters. It was released by Disney's Miramax Films.

The documentary "Inside Deep Throat," which takes a look at the infamous adult film, aroused $91,000 from 12 theaters. It was released by Universal Pictures, a unit of General Electric Co.-controlled NBC Universal.

Went to go see it Saturday night and the lines were packed a lot more than any of us thought, so we decided to skip it.

I saw "Hitch" last night with my girlfriend. We were heading home from Sawgrass, and I decided to be spontaneous. I hooked a right, went down 75 and stopped off at Muvico...

And by the way, Muvico is really becoming some kind of paradise. Aside from the plaza that was already there for a few years, they just added a new venue next to the parking lot. I remember for the past couple of years, I was so upset that I couldn't just park in front of the theater. They made you drive around the back and walk farther. But now that it's finished, I like it.

Putting ColdStone and TGI Friday's was a great idea.

Anyway, "Hitch" was actually not as bad as I thought it would be. I agree, the trailer gave away too many funny scenes--but all in all, I would give it 3 stars. Will Smith did a great job, and Kevin James was awesome.

My favorite part was when he had just quit, and Allegra came to thank him for sticking up for her. Hitch was telling Alfred what to do, and, well--you have to see it to enjoy its comedic value.

I can't wait for all the extraterrestrial movies to come out this summer. It's an alien orgy, man.

War of the Worlds

Star Wars III

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

And are the rumors true that "Pirates 2" is coming out soon? I would love that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.