Matt Hasselback

fishfan25

definitely a good move .. now all the hawks need on offense is some receivers to catch the ball (and a newer, younger C)

Hass can play really well and he has 6 years in front of him ... he had some bad fits last year, but for most of his recent career he has been very efficient and he played very well in both playoff games

the main key to this is that the team can now franchise shaun alexander since they already resigned walter jones to a long term deal

that leaves Chike Okeafor and Ken Lucas (especially) as the target FAs to get done

btw, the guy making these moves is very good at the cap stuff ... he cleaned up the hawks after the Randy Mueller mess in the Dennis Erickson days

they just hired their president today from the falcons and also fired GM bob ferguson (who really didnt' do much in his 2 years there)

the FO will look completely different as Ted Thompson was hired by GB and their head college scout was hired away and they also fired former President Bob Whitsitt

Hasselback > Shaun Alexander

692457[/snapback]

other way around

692461[/snapback]

Useful post...we already saw your opinion...

Running backs have an average life span of 5 years...an above average and stable quarterback situation is much more valuable to a franchise than a running back.

RB's grow on trees...pro bowl caliber QB's dont.

692457[/snapback]

other way around

692461[/snapback]

Running backs have an average life span of 5 years...an above average and stable quarterback situation is much more valuable to a franchise than a running back.

692477[/snapback]

Hasselback is 30 years old and wont get much better. Alexander is a far better player than he is and opens up a lot of things for the passing game, far more than Hasselback opens for the runs game. He is a good QB, but nothing great and I would go as far as saying that as starters go, he might not be above average in the NFL.

692457[/snapback]

other way around

692461[/snapback]

692477[/snapback]

Hasselback is 30 years old and wont get much better. Alexander is a far better player than he is and opens up a lot of things for the passing game, far more than Hasselback opens for the runs game. He is a good QB, but nothing great and I would go as far as saying that as starters go, he might not be above average in the NFL.

692489[/snapback]

Not many QB's can fully take advantage of a good O-line, I daresay that many many RB's could.

alexander could do a lot more than what he does ... he isn't a great blocker, receiver and is often inconistent

he is a scoring machine though and in the end gets his yards

both are important and hard to find

it would be hard to replace the 15+ TDs that shaun brings in each and every year

but anyhow, none of that matters because they can keep both if they want to

the average $ amount of Matts contract looks like it's going to be less than the franchise amount for this year (about $8M) and the franchise for a RB is about $6M

good move all around

692457[/snapback]

True.

Hasselbeck put up 3300 yards on a team with receivers who preferred to drop the ball than catch it. Get him a competent, good hands receiver and he'll have 3800-4000 yard seasons frequently.

I do think the Seahawks gave too many years to Walter Jones though. He's a great LT, but 7 years is way too much for a 31-year old LT playing one of the most difficult positions in football.

shaun will be franchised

walt was signed for a long time ... but i'm not sure if it was too much

he is in great shape, pretty durable and it isn't unheard of for a good OL to play until 38

he may not be at LT the whole time, but I can see him playing well for the next 4-5 years before seeing really any drop off

matt probably wont see much more than that either

692457[/snapback]

other way around

692461[/snapback]

692477[/snapback]

692489[/snapback]

Not many QB's can fully take advantage of a good O-line, I daresay that many many RB's could.

692492[/snapback]

I think its a good signing, Im not saying its a bad one by a long shot. I think Walter Jones was a good signing as well. Continuity is great. All I am saying is Alexander is the better player, and by alot.

Yes but when you calculate in how hard it is to get a solid QB,

and how easy it is to get a producing RB

Hasselbeck > Alexander

692668[/snapback]

But you seem not to understand, he is not just some producing RB. He is an overall very skilled RB who came within 1 yard of leading the league in rushing. With the ages of RBs going up these days, he should have several big years infront of him. He is not just some RB, he is a top 3-5 in the game. Can you say Hassleback is top 15, top 10? Doubtful.

Hasselbeck > Alexander

692668[/snapback]

But you seem not to understand, he is not just some producing RB. He is an overall very skilled RB who came within 1 yard of leading the league in rushing. With the ages of RBs going up these days, he should have several big years infront of him. He is not just some RB, he is a top 3-5 in the game. Can you say Hassleback is top 15, top 10? Doubtful.

692683[/snapback]

name 15 QB's better than hasselbeck in the league today

Hasselbeck > Alexander

692668[/snapback]

692683[/snapback]

What makes you believe that the age of running backs is going up? Is that just you saying that or is that a fact?

The fact that Curtis Martin at just 31 is the oldest running back to ever lead the NFL in rushing is very telling...

At 31, some QB's havent even had their best season's yet. If you look at Alexander's games this year...he got a large bulk of his yards on teams that were in a losing streak and had porous defenses. (SF, CAR, STL in back2back2back weeks)

Against above average defenses (TB, NYJ, NE, and Buffallo) he packed it in running for an average of 60 yards...

When guys like Domanick Davis (4th round pick) and Reuben Droughns (Undrafted) can get over the century mark shows that a running back behind a decent line doesnt have to have exceptional talent to excel.

Running back is the most overrated position in the NFL and the most overpayed.

Hasselbeck > Alexander

692668[/snapback]

692683[/snapback]

692685[/snapback]

He cant...but I will name you Curtis Martin, Edgerrin James, Corey Dillon, Ladanian Tomlinson, Clinton Portis, and Tiki Barber who I would rather have on my team talent and mental wise.

Hasselbeck > Alexander

692668[/snapback]

692683[/snapback]

692685[/snapback]

He cant...but I will name you Curtis Martin, Edgerrin James, Corey Dillon, Ladanian Tomlinson, Clinton Portis, and Tiki Barber who I would rather have on my team talent and mental wise.

692693[/snapback]

Id rather have Manning, McNair, Vick, Brady, Culpepper, McNabb, Favre, Pennington, Green, Bulger, Rothlisburger, Palmer, Collins, Leftwich, Brooks, Delhomme, Brees, Carr.

That is 18 QBs I'd take over him and that is just for next year. For later on I'd also take Eli Manning and Philip Rivers among others. I am also not so sure Billy Volek did not look more impressive than Hasselback did.

There you go, PASSION

then you are out of your mind

McNair (the current McNair!?!?!), Delhomme, Brooks, Brees, Collins, Palmer

are you kidding me?!

Hass is a top 10 QB in this league and will be for the next couple years .. he's got a stong head, good mobility, a good arm and flat out performs many on that list

look for a big bounce back year next year

Eli Manning...who had a game this year with a passer raiting of 0.0.

Vick is the most overrated player in the NFL.

You will never be wrong The Fan, so it is almost pointless arguing with you. You have a serious ego problem that Id hope you get figured out...it will be difficult to last in the real world and at a job with your 'tude.

The bolding and capitalization of my name was a cute touch BTW.

Hasselbeck > Alexander

692668[/snapback]

692683[/snapback]

What makes you believe that the age of running backs is going up? Is that just you saying that or is that a fact?

The fact that Curtis Martin at just 31 is the oldest running back to ever lead the NFL in rushing is very telling...

At 31, some QB's havent even had their best season's yet. If you look at Alexander's games this year...he got a large bulk of his yards on teams that were in a losing streak and had porous defenses. (SF, CAR, STL in back2back2back weeks)

Against above average defenses (TB, NYJ, NE, and Buffallo) he packed it in running for an average of 60 yards...

When guys like Domanick Davis (4th round pick) and Reuben Droughns (Undrafted) can get over the century mark shows that a running back behind a decent line doesnt have to have exceptional talent to excel.

Running back is the most overrated position in the NFL and the most overpayed.

692692[/snapback]

1. Jerome Bettis also showed it this year. He is also a big bruiser who takes more punishment than the average person, so therefore there is a chance that someone like Alexander can keep getting better and at 27, he is still young.

2. If Reuben Droughns was so great, why is Denver trying to get rid of him and find a new starter? Why are they not content?

3. I was unware Reuben Droughns was undrafted. I was under the impression he was taken by the Detroit Lions in round 3 of the 2000 draft (81 overall).

4. The century mark is overrated. It is 100yds in a game, big deal.

5. It is widely said, a great RB makes his line and not the other way around. Just like Das says with Emmitt Smith, "I was unware that he gained all of his yards by him just running in a straight line through the offensive line"

then you are out of your mind

McNair (the current McNair!?!?!), Delhomme, Brooks, Brees, Collins, Palmer

are you kidding me?!

Hass is a top 10 QB in this league and will be for the next couple years .. he's got a stong head, good mobility, a good arm and flat out performs many on that list

look for a big bounce back year next year

692746[/snapback]

up more than ever this year. 2 years ago he was co-mvp. Yes, that McNair along with the rest of them. Yup, Id take everyone of th

McNair was injured and beat em. Believe it or not, Hassleback has a great team around him, makes his numbers go up also.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.