Football coach was shot on school campus

...what a coincidence that we would have a dicussion on the use of assault rifles.. :plain

CANTON, Texas -- The father of a high school football player shot and wounded the coach with an assault rifle Thursday and fled in a pickup loaded with weapons, claiming to have a hit list, authorities said.

Jeffrey Doyle Robertson, 45, was captured a few hours later, after his truck was found abandoned near a golf course outside Canton. Robertson was carried out of the woods on a stretcher.

Canton High coach Gary Joe Kinne was shot with an AK-47 rifle in the chest at the school's field house, officials said. He was airlifted to a hospital in nearby Tyler; his condition was not immediately released.

Police Chief Mike Echols said Robertson had been banned from campus and told not to attend school functions. Robertson had had confrontations with some of the coaches, including Kinne, who took over the football program in 2003, authorities said. Kinne's son was the team's quarterback.

According to one parent, Robertson had complained last year that his son was being picked on by his teammates.

Robertson said he had a hit list, according to state Homeland Security spokeswoman Sophie Yanez.

An athlete's father, Steve Smith, said Robertson had threatened to kill Smith's son last year over an on-field teasing.

Smith told the Tyler newspaper that Robertson's son, then a freshman football player, was walking off the field when some older students "razzed" him.

"This guy blew up," Smith said. "He thought some kids were picking on his son. My son wasn't even the one who said anything. But he threatened to kill him."

Smith said he complained to the school and police. Robertson was never charged.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/news/story?id=2032065

The people who are going to use them to commit crimes will always get their hands on them. Same thing with drugs and steroids. What we should question here is this new culture of death being formed. Could it be television and music that causes people to think this way? Could it be that there is less emphasis on fmailies, and more and more kids grow up with parents who dont care? In the old days when kids were picked on they'd suck it up, elave town etc, commit suicide, now they go off and shoot people up. Its a change in the cultural climate of society, the causes should be studied further

Typical -- another incident that could have been prevented if the local police had simply acted responsibly previously.

You will recall that Patrick Purdy had a LONG criminal history prior to shooting up that CA schoolyard, but prosecutors had bargained away all the relevent weapon charges that would have given him felony convictions and prevented him from buying any guns.

http://www.tylerpaper.com/site/news.cfm?ne...id=553341&rfi=6

People familiar with Jeffrey Doyle Robertson, the suspect in Thursday's school shooting, said there was no mistaking the signs that led up to the incident.

"This guy blew up," Smith reports. "He thought some kids were picking on his son. My son wasn't even the one who said anything. But he threatened to kill him."

Smith went to the school to complain, and then to the Canton police.

"But the Canton police wouldn't press charges," Smith said. "I was very frustrated at that. Eventually I talked to the father (Robertson) himself, and I told him he had no business threatening kids. This isn't about winning a game. This is about what we're teaching these boys."

Though the incident seemed to be resolved, Smith warned his son to avoid Robertson.

"I told him if he sees this guy, stay away," Smith said. "I do know that my son was very fearful."

Typical -- another incident that could have been prevented if the local police had simply acted responsibly previously.

You will recall that Patrick Purdy had a LONG criminal history prior to shooting up that CA schoolyard, but prosecutors had bargained away all the relevent weapon charges that would have given him felony convictions and prevented him from buying any guns.

http://www.tylerpaper.com/site/news.cfm?ne...id=553341&rfi=6

People familiar with Jeffrey Doyle Robertson, the suspect in Thursday's school shooting, said there was no mistaking the signs that led up to the incident.

"This guy blew up," Smith reports. "He thought some kids were picking on his son. My son wasn't even the one who said anything. But he threatened to kill him."

Smith went to the school to complain, and then to the Canton police.

"But the Canton police wouldn't press charges," Smith said. "I was very frustrated at that. Eventually I talked to the father (Robertson) himself, and I told him he had no business threatening kids. This isn't about winning a game. This is about what we're teaching these boys."

Though the incident seemed to be resolved, Smith warned his son to avoid Robertson.

"I told him if he sees this guy, stay away," Smith said. "I do know that my son was very fearful."

737152[/snapback]

We've had this discussion here before. Just because the police step in doesn't mean this doesn't happen. This is obviously a sicko who would likely have done something either way.

We've had this discussion here before. Just because the police step in doesn't mean this doesn't happen. This is obviously a sicko who would likely have done something either way.

737157[/snapback]

Yes we did.

I just want to point out to those who said restraining orders would have stopped that murder, it didn't stop it in this situation. Who woulda thunk..... I mean, I always though pieces of paper and words could stop bullets.