Mariners fans miss Rich Waltz

Accord

Marlins Mailbag: Huge Seattle Mariners fan here. The Marlins are looking great this year, and I was wondering if they could send Beckett, Burnett and Willis our way? OK, maybe not. However, I would like, if you can, to let Rich Waltz know that we miss him up here. He did a wonderful job covering the Mariners, and after watching the Marlins the other night, it sounds like he is doing great there as well. The Mariners should have traded him to the Marlins for Beckett, Burnett and Willis, but I guess we were a little too late for that. -- Evan P., Seattle

Your letter just let Rich know how much he is missed in Seattle. I'm sure he appreciates the kind words. As the Marlins new play-by-play TV announcer, Waltz fills some big shoes that were vacated when Len Kasper moved on to broadcast the Cubs for WGN. Rich is very energetic and a hard worker. Yes, he is doing fine -- and he's got a great partner to work with in analyst Tommy Hutton. The more comfortable he gets down here, the better he will be in the booth.

since i had nothing better to do, i went and looked him up on google to see what people have said about him in the past.

here's a smattering of the comments i found:

I enjoy Rich Waltz when he fills in. He is smart, and really knows the game. Unfortunately, he has few polished play-calling skills as of yet, so it's like listening to GWB say anything off-the-cuff. Not a flowing experience by any means.

Rich Waltz is horrible. Please, please, bring Krueger back for tomorrow's game.

For my money, the best broadcaster in town.

Rich Waltz looks like he just quit his job at Chuck E. Cheese to take the play-by-play job.

I was pleasantly surprised at Rich?s play-by-play ability, I think he?s very competent. As a color guy or just a pre-game interview guy, I generally think he lacks charisma. But yet somehow his play-by-play seems alright.

Rich Waltz=bad commentator

He simply DOES NOT WORK as a baseball announcer...his voice does not have that baseball tone. He's only good a pre-game man.

Seattle has been putting Rich Waltz in as a color man, he sure makes a much better color man than Dave "Hindu" Henderson, but just doesn't have the emotion to do play-by-play yet.

Rich Waltz (Mr.Bland)

682036[/snapback]

(comments continued)

Rich Waltz is the most banal human being ever......I mean his interviews this year with Melvin and Bavasi have been excruciating....it's not lke there is no ammo to attack them with......really.

His voice is always on the verge of cracking, and he seems like a drunkard on Television.

Rich Waltz does pretty good play-by-play, as does Ron Fairly. As color / interesting guys, they really don't cut it.

Waltz is absolutely vile. I haven't watched him since last season, when he actually seemed to take DELIGHT in a Griffey injury. I don't care who it is - I despise Derek Jeter, but I'd NEVER gloat over his being hurt were I on the air somewhere. I wrote Waltz a vicious e-mail, called him seven kinds of unprofessional jerk, and told him that I'd never watch another M's pregame show again as long as his pig face was polluting the screen. Besides, whenever he talks, he sounds like he has a dead badger stuffed up his nose.

so, to sum it up, the guy seems to have substance, but lacks style.

682039[/snapback]

it looked like most mariners fans hated him last season...lemme see if i can dig up the post.

744838[/snapback]

Who the hell cares what the Mariners' fans thought. The guy stinks.

744843[/snapback]

a bit harsh there

anyway I think he is growing on people, game by game

it looked like most mariners fans hated him last season...lemme see if i can dig up the post.

744838[/snapback]

744843[/snapback]

And Tommy is one-half as effective as he was with Lenny.

This is a Marlins disaster. Not unusual.

Guest CHRISTYTOD

There is when you have DirecTV - that's for sure. But I still opt to listen to the radio and mute the TV - Waltz is boring. Plain and simple. I can't believe I actually prefer Dave Van Horne to another announcer. This is insane.

Meanwhile, because of the delay, I have to hear each pitch before I can actually see it, but it's worth it to not have to hear Waltz.

I miss the old days of Marlins game-watching.

744838[/snapback]

744843[/snapback]

So whatever you say goes huh? Chin High says he stinks -- must be true :lol

Everyone has their own opinions -- I like Waltz -- he's improving by the game and eventually will be loved by most. He has an entertaining voice, his broadcast is fluid and he is starting to show emotion at the right times. I still don't think he has great chemistry with Tommy -- but that will improve over time.