Niner at 3rd

Flag Man

Regardless of all the past week "off-days," and a supposedly rested (but frustrated) Starting team, I consider something dramatic.

Put Niner at third base and send Mikey to the Bahamas for 3 days.

Conine was a solid 3B. Yesterday, he got around on the Wagner 98 mph fast-balls.

He just needs some AB's to get good wood on the ball.

There's no room for him in the corner OF.

And bringing Cab's in to cover for Mikey would be insane. Would mess with his head and cost us offense. He's just settling in now after the traumatic early career position changes. (He should never have been in RF.)

Lowell's slump is significant because it started in Spring Training. To his credit, his offensive disability has not affected his defense. But, the 3B on any team has to be a power stick. He is hurting us offensively.

Get him away for a few days.

Conine will not create Magic in three days but he will do as well as Lowell and be better prepared for his Bench responsibilities.

Give Mikey a fresh start. He will produce.

I don't know if a vacation for Lowell is the best thing, but Conine needs some consecutive starts to keep his skills intact. Give him about 3 straight days of giving guys a break. Give Mike one day off, Carlos one day, and then one of the OF so Jeff can get a game in out there. It would bounce Conine around, but he would see multiple at bats several days running.

I don't know if a vacation for Lowell is the best thing, but Conine needs some consecutive starts to keep his skills intact. Give him about 3 straight days of giving guys a break. Give Mike one day off, Carlos one day, and then one of the OF so Jeff can get a game in out there. It would bounce Conine around, but he would see multiple at bats several days running.

760846[/snapback]

How come this is so obvious to us and not to Jack?

Perhaps, Jack knows the team and specifically Mike Lowell better than those on this board. Perhaps, Jack feels that Lowell is a pro and will hit his way out of his current slump. Perhaps, Jack feels benching Lowell now would be counter-productive to the cause. Perhaps, Jack feels the definseve dropoff with Conine at third is far too great. Perhaps, Jack feels that since the team is in first place he shouldn't make any drastic changes. Perhaps, Jack feels like Conine's role is on the bench and he needs to get used to that fact.

:whistle

I think the fact that Lowell has gotten a hit in 9 of the last 10 will keep him playing because some how, Lowell's going to rattle off one multi-hit game and then he's going to be "out of it." Well, I'm in the camp that he has to play to get out of it, but Lowell's got to find some way to put a better swing on the ball in situations...it seems that he's swinging for a double down the line no matter what. I miss the Mikey of last year who'd go up the middle with runners on.

But Conine, God bless him, also left a sour taste in my mouth after last weeks 0-for the day with 7 guys left on base. Conine isn't exactly kicking the door down to start. I say, if after the Rockies series, Lowell still can't get the job done, then we explore some scenarios, but we've got to get something out of him, benching won't help at this stage.

And just my opinion, but I want to see us go back to the opening day lineup for one game, see how everyone responds...because it will certainly help our guys in late inning situations.

I wanna get Conine at bats but you can't bench Lowell right now especially if it seems like he is starting to come around. He has been making a little better contact(Besides the dps yesterday) and he has been getting the hits just can't get the multihit games yet for whatever reason. Keep him in there and he is going to break out real soon.