Ben Gordon wins 6th Man of the Year Award

Rebirth

Gordon earns NBA?s Sixth Man Award

By Mike McGraw

Daily Herald Sports Writer

Posted Tuesday, May 03, 2005

WASHINGTON ? Ben Gordon will be given the NBA?s Sixth Man Award today during a news conference at the Berto Center, league sources confirmed.

Sixth Man will be Gordon?s only major award this season. Rookie of the Year will be announced Wednesday, but that trophy is expected to go to Gordon?s college teammate and roommate, Charlotte Bobcats power forward Emeka Okafor.

?I think either (award) is great,? Gordon said before Monday?s game. ?I don?t know which one is better. I guess just to be getting an award period, I?ll be grateful. I?m sure whoever gets (Rookie of the Year), we?ll be happy for one another.?

Gordon will be the first rookie to win the honor as the league?s best player off the bench. The 6-foot-2 guard from Connecticut averaged 15.1 points during his first NBA season and quickly developed a reputation as one of the league?s best clutch scorers.

He scored 10 or more points in the fourth quarter 21 times. Among his memorable game-winning shots were a runner with 0.1 seconds on the clock to beat New York at Madison Square Garden 88-86 on Jan. 17 and a jumper with 5.8 seconds left that beat the Knicks 92-91 on April 19 and clinched homecourt advantage in the first round of the playoffs.

Gordon, the No. 3 pick in last year?s draft, scored 30 points against Washington last week in his NBA playoff debut.

Toni Kukoc is the only other Bulls player to get the Sixth Man Award, which he won after the 1995-96 season.

Link

I'm glad to see Gordon win this award. Much deserved.

What is more important to himm? do you think...the ROY or 6th man?

761633[/snapback]

i think ben would rather be in the company of Shaq, David Robinson, Michael Jordan, Ralph Sampson, Admin Bird, Kareem Abdul-Jabar, Amare Stoudamire, LeBron James, Tim Duncan, Allen Iverson, Vince Carter, Grant Hill then Aaron McKie, Corliss Williamson, Athony Mason and Dell Curry.

761633[/snapback]

i think ben would rather be in the company of Shaq, David Robinson, Michael Jordan, Ralph Sampson, Admin Bird, Kareem Abdul-Jabar, Amare Stoudamire, LeBron James, Tim Duncan, Allen Iverson, Vince Carter, Grant Hill then Aaron McKie, Corliss Williamson, Athony Mason and Dell Curry.

761709[/snapback]

I concur.

What is more important to himm do you think...the ROY or 6th man?

761633[/snapback]

761709[/snapback]

I dont know if that was supposed to be a snobby response, but I was just asking people's opinion.

Sheesh.

761633[/snapback]

761709[/snapback]

I dont know if that was supposed to be a snobby response, but I was just asking people's opinion.

Sheesh.

761746[/snapback]

I don't think he meant it to be snobby. I think he thought you were implying that Gordon would rather have the 6th man and that is more important and misunderstood that you were just asking peoples opinions.

I'd personally rather have ROY because you were the cream of the class essentially your rookie year and it's more elite company.