Malcolm X

Mark

After reading some of one his many biographies, I find his story pretty interesting. I watched the movie (you know, the Denzel Washington one) this morning for the second time, and was just wondering what you guys thought about him...should his life be looked at as positive? Negative? Did he do more bad than good for blacks in America? Just wondering what you guys thought.

I actually started reading "The Autobiography of Malcolm X", but then it kinda came to a halt. I'm going to work on finishing it up here pretty soon...My interest has been sparked again.

Of course, I come nowhere near agreeing with what he said while he was under the Nation...It's sad that he was taken so quickly after his change, but I find it hard to look at him positively with his previous teachings. I do, however, agree with the fact that at that time black people needed to unite together and become stronger. The problem was, they never could and the Nation was one of the reasons.

Personally, I feel that Martin Luther King Jr.'s teachings were much more positive than the teachings of Elijah Muhammad and Malcolm X.

764662[/snapback]

they were.

malcolm X though would have made a major difference if not knocked off.

he had done a total 180 from what he is generally known as.

if Malcolm X isnt killed, he may have had a bigger impact than King.

Elijah Muhammad wasn't exactly a beacon of light for civil rights as much as he was for black power and being the spiritual forerunner of Louis Farrakhan. What's weird is that his son, WD Muhammad, is moreso part of the mainstream than of NOI (but then again, WD's group IS the original NOI, well, at least until he disbanded it when it merged with mainstream Islam. Farrakhan's group is a splinter group).