WANTED

Guest Moneyball

Guest Moneyball

WANTED: A TEAM THAT HAS BALLS

Sadly I must say this team has no balls. Everytime a crucial situations comes around they fail, then they run and hide like little school girls. They do not step-up when it counts. Whether it be the pitching, defense or offense. As things are right now WE WILL NOT MAKE THE PLAY-OFFS. All this constant failing has cost us big so far. As of now this team is pretending to be a play-off contender. Pretenders because they run and hide when it counts.

This team needs to find those big cojones that carried them to the championship 2 years ago.

I think the biggest problem with the crucial situations is the pen -- we only have four healthy proven arms (Jones, Mota, Riedling, Mecir) -- and out of those four, three have proven to be terrible under tight situations. Mota's save numbers are awful and has done nothing as a Marlin to prove otherwise. Mecir has always been brutal in tight situations, or at least that seems to be the popular opinion from most A's fans -- and Riedling just hasn't been very reliable in any situation so far.

Our hitting hasn't been very good in the clutch either (obviously) -- but if Lowell and JP turn things around I suspect that will change -- I'm not so optimistic about the bullpen.

My Question is I know he probably wanted Moehler to pitch a complete game, but why not bring in Jones over Santos in the ninth inning...i didn't get that one...that was a bad move by McKeon....Jones has proven to be the best arm in that pen....he should have been in there in the start of that inning.

I think the biggest problem with the crucial situations is the pen -- we only have four healthy proven arms (Jones, Mota, Riedling, Mecir) -- and out of those four, three have proven to be terrible under tight situations. Mota's save numbers are awful and has done nothing as a Marlin to prove otherwise. Mecir has always been brutal in tight situations, or at least that seems to be the popular opinion from most A's fans -- and Riedling just hasn't been very reliable in any situation so far.

Our hitting hasn't been very good in the clutch either (obviously) -- but if Lowell and JP turn things around I suspect that will change -- I'm not so optimistic about the bullpen.

815192[/snapback]

Those four arms should be enough to secure a 1 or 2-run if used properly. The problem is that we rarely have a lead and when we do, the 'pen is asked to come on with runners on base and not allow a single run to score for 3+ innings. And ayone notice how our starters are going fewer innings? That has certainly contributed to our lack of success.

Poor hitting -> low-scoring ballgames (+ good pitching) -> close ballgames -> opportunities for Jack and the bullpen to blow the game

Mota's save + hold (saves for middle relievers) numbers are comparable to the best closers in the league.