Manny's Side of the Story

FreshFish

c/0 bostonherald.com

Trade cools, details emerge on Ramirez

By Michael Silverman

Sunday, July 31, 2005 - Updated: 01:11 AM EST

With the chances of the Red Sox trading Manny Ramirez to the Mets decreasing last night, some details surfaced about Ramirez' last few tumultuous days, which included a late scratch of the enigmatic slugger from the Sox' 6-2 victory over the Minnesota Twins.

Ramirez, the focus of intense attention since his request for a trade was revealed earlier this week, was unavailable for comment last night, as he has been for most of the season.

However, a source close to Ramirez, authorized to speak for the slugger, presented Ramirez' side of the story on a number of issues, including his strained relationship with manager Terry Francona and a midweek run-in with Curt Schilling.

``They don't talk, they haven't spoken since the first day Ramirez came,'' the source said of Francona and Ramirez. ``He's had it for Manny for a while. The friction's been there for a while. Manny's not his kind of player - Francona has one way of thinking and there's one type of player he wants on his team and that's not Manny.''

Said Francona: ``I'm not going to lower myself by responding to that.''

The source said Ramirez was disappointed about what happened when bench coach Brad Mills asked Ramirez before Wednesday's game in St. Petersburg, Fla., if he still needed a day off. Ramirez answered yes, without knowing the Sox needed him to play because Trot Nixon was hurt. If asked to play for that reason, the source said Ramirez would have played.

Also, the source said that before that game, which was started by Tampa Bay's Seth McClung, David Ortiz said aloud to Schilling, ``Man, that guy's got some nasty stuff,'' to which Schilling supposedly responded, ``Yeah, that's why Manny took the day off.''

Ramirez then supposedly said to Schilling, ``Screw you, I can hit anyone in baseball, including your ass.''

Then, the source said, Ramirez went up to Schilling and, before the confrontation escalated, Ortiz had to separate the two.

Ramirez is upset with the way the media portrayed the day off in St. Petersburg, and blamed that and the team for the boos he heard when he played Friday night at Fenway Club sources indicated last night that Ramirez, his representatives and the team have been in close contact the past couple of days, trying to patch things up and move onward. If the team can't trade Ramirez, the source said he was unsure if Ramirez would be ``lost'' for the rest of the season.

``We'll have to wait and see,'' the source said. ``I think he can get through this, but he has to be allowed to play in his kind of atmosphere. You can't make him be someone he's not. He believes the clubhouse is not what it was last year. It's not fun. Pedro (Martinez) was Pedro, Manny was Manny, (Kevin) Millar was Millar. This year, you have players trying to be GMs.''

Francona said after the victory over the Twins that he sat Ramirez last night and will again in the series finale today because he thinks the move is ``not just in his best interest but our ballclub's best interest, that he sit and clear his head, take a few deep breaths. . . . I think he was very receptive to it. He felt good.''

The Mets were hoping to receive Ramirez and cash relief - approximately $15 million - in exchange for outfielder Mike Cameron and outfield prospect Lastings Milledge.

The Red Sox were also still in contact with the Devil Rays about a trade for Aubrey Huff, but Tampa Bay's request for both Jon Lester and Hanley Ramirez was deemed too high by the Red Sox. Parting with the latter was acceptable, but not so with Lester.

This is all really stupid.

Manny is still going to be there with his 40 and 140 when the season ends, and he's going to stay with the Red Sox.

Bunch of pointless drama.

881629[/snapback]

Shocked I agree with you, but all three of your sentences are right on.

Updated quotes on the situation...

Ramirez said he is not unhappy with Francona. "My situation with Tito is perfect. I'm just here to play and win."

I want to stay here. I want to win a World Series," he (Ramirez) said.

This whole drama is dead. Let's move on.

Updated quotes on the situation...

Ramirez said he is not unhappy with Francona. "My situation with Tito is perfect. I'm just here to play and win."

I want to stay here. I want to win a World Series," he (Ramirez) said.

This whole drama is dead. Let's move on.

881762[/snapback]

Handled behind the scenes. Swept under the rug.