Double Switch?

Flag Man

They talked a little about it, but not much. They mentioned bringing Luis in, moving Easly to SS, and removing Alex. In the end, they thought Jack felt more comfortable having Alex playing SS for the last few outs.

889713[/snapback]

And Aguila for Encarnacion wouldn't work?

Would've made Jones up 7th with Aguila leading off.

And no loss for RF defense.

Anyway, thanks for answering my question in re: Hutton comment.

(cgator is always a responsive Mod. Appreciated.)

Nobody else noticed this wierd, incompetent managerial move?

Because we won, the blunder goes quietly.

When we lose, everyone wants on Jack's ass. Even if not his fault.

Get a little levity here. Win or lose, call them the way they are.

Baseball Fundamentals, for openers.

My friend and I were discussing this when we heard that Todd Jones was the first to come to the plate in the 9th. We came to the decision that there were at least 3 spots in which the switch could have been made. I didn't understand Jack's moves late in the ballgame yesterday.

Well, for all you second guessers...were would you have pulled the double switch?

Luis was obviously unavailable, because he actually asked in to the lineup a few days ago because he knew we needed as many regulars as possible with Delgado out.

The only position where a defensive upgrade makes sense is Cabrera, but he would have batted fifth that inning, meaning if we were to add on runs, it's likely Jones would have seen an AB anyway.

The only spot that makes sense is putting Treanor in the 9 spot and letting Jones bat for LoDuca, but again, he would have batted 6th, meaning it isn't out of the question to think he'd bat, and do you really want Treanor in there in a close game late?

Odd to let him hit, but there was no way Gonzalez was coming out of that game.

Well, for all you second guessers...were would you have pulled the double switch?

Luis was obviously unavailable, because he actually asked in to the lineup a few days ago because he knew we needed as many regulars as possible with Delgado out.

The only position where a defensive upgrade makes sense is Cabrera, but he would have batted fifth that inning, meaning if we were to add on runs, it's likely Jones would have seen an AB anyway.

The only spot that makes sense is putting Treanor in the 9 spot and letting Jones bat for LoDuca, but again, he would have batted 6th, meaning it isn't out of the question to think he'd bat, and do you really want Treanor in there in a close game late?

890192[/snapback]

As I said, Aguila for Encarnacion and Jones bats 7th. Why don't you read the previous posts?

890192[/snapback]

As I said, Aguila for Encarnacion and Jones bats 7th. Why don't you read the previous posts?

890193[/snapback]

Because that makes no sense. You lose Encarnacion's arm and range. Aguila is not a defensive up-grade, and you sure as hell don't down-grade defensively when you're up 1 heading to the ninth, not to mention, with runners on second and third at the time of the move, only one run would likely score on a single hit to right...it was pretty obvious they respected Enc's arm when they didn't send Edmonds on the play before.

You lose no defense with Aguila in for Enacarnacion.

890199[/snapback]

:plain

You're ridiculous.

Encarnacion has a rifle for an arm, Aguila is average at best. Not to mention, Encarnacion's arm has a reputation. As I just said, they obviously repsected Enc's arm if they didn't send Edmonds (who is a pretty good baserunner) home on the double. What that says to me is that in the event of a single to right with runners on second and third, only one run scores, not two.

I'm not sure, but I was under the impression that you could only double switch with the guy that just batted. I definitely could be wrong, but under that assumption Jack's non-move makes sense.

890210[/snapback]

It's anybody, anywhere in the lineup.

All a double switch is is a position switch before a substitution.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.