Backup plan

Admin

What is our backup plan if we fail to re-sign AJ? With Scotty O, Big Tex, Varsity Vargas, and D-Train already filling out the rest of the rotation, what do we fill in the 5th and final spot with if AJ dont come back? I think we should re-sign Moe(hoping his price doesn't skyrocket), even if we find a better option, because he could shore up the bullpen. Do we attempt to get a dependable 5th starter such as Wade Miller(just throwing a name out there for reference), fill it with one of our other young arms, or trade for another MLB ready young arm, as long as we dont have to give up much(such as Brandon McCarthy)? Try to pick someone off the free-agent heap(which seems a bit thin after this season). Opinions on what our M.O. will be?

Well, Vargas will be entering his first year(but due to IP this season will not be considered a rookie), and Olsen will be a rookie, I am not so sure I want a 3rd rookie...and who would be ready? Kensing? Not so much. Johnson, possibly. Tankersly=NO to a 4 lefty rotation, Bostick is a lefty as well, Volsted and Allison are neither one near ready, Nic Ungs?...he could possibly turn into a Jeff Suppan style pitcher, meaning a reliable 5th starter, so ya maybe him. I guess if we go with anyone it would be Ungs or Johnson, if we go from within the system.

I wouldn't necessicarially call AJ a goner, we no longer pay Hampton, we could possibly relieve ourselves of Mikeys salary(or at least a good portion), we will have at least 3(Hermida, Olsen, Vargas) and possibly up to 5(Messenger, Resop) taking valueable starting spots and bullpen spots at a very cheap price(about $1.5 million for 5 roster spots), and we know the status of Louie, Dook, and DelGOTit's salarys so we can work around them. Things are setting up to where we can probably keep Gonzo for sure AND make a very competitve offer to AJ.

I dont know.. he is looking for 4 years at about 40-48 million

that is alot of money to pay AJ. I know he has potential to be a number 1 and has been lately. But, really that is high priced talent there.. Plus it would mean we couldnt lock up beckett, willis or Cabrera then long term.

Basically we can afford to lock down only Beckett or Burnett. Which would you prefer?

I dont know.. he is looking for 4 years at about 40-48 million

that is alot of money to pay AJ. I know he has potential to be a number 1 and has been lately. But, really that is high priced talent there.. Plus it would mean we couldnt lock up beckett, willis or Cabrera then long term.

Basically we can afford to lock down only Beckett or Burnett. Which would you prefer?

898662[/snapback]

I'm honestly not worried about it. D-Train enters his first year of arby this offseason, and Cabs is set until after next season(and Beckett cant become a free agent until after 2007...I think). So if we can compete for Burnett then hell yes we should, we have to think about 2006, not 2008, 2009 or 2010(rough guestimate of when Big Tex, D-Train, and Cabs are elligable for free agency). We basically will face this challenge, locking up our 4 young studs(plus Gonzo) like ducks in a row. One right after the other. If we can get AJ for a competitive offer, and get financing for a new ballpark, get new revenue streams opened up, giving AJ that contract will be an afterthought...and we'd be able to do it all over again, sign Big Tex to a good deal before he reaches FA, and skip whats left of Cabs and D-Trains arby years. Then after we are done worrying about that we'll git r dun with Scotty O, V-Unit, and Hercules. It's a very annoying viscious cycle.

As far as Moehler's value skyrocketing from a non-roster invitee who wouldn't of been on the roster if not for Valdez being hurt back to an established MLB level talent, you could see a significant price increase, espicially from teams coveting pitching.

If you really could sign Burnett for 4/40, it would probably be a great deal, even for a small-budget team. Indications are that the market for starting pitchers will be much stronger. Shucks, Derek Lowe got 4/40, and this winter looks to be even more of a seller's market.

As for Kevin Brown.... I'd rather see him pitching to us than pitching for us at this point.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.