Samson's Interview with LeBatard

PBMarlin

For those of you who missed it here are a few of the comments and observations from Samson's interview with Dan LeBatard on 790 this afternoon. Anyone who heard the interview and would like to add to the comments is welcome.

1. Samson admitted responsibility for not being able to get a stadium deal completed. He was convinced up until a few months ago that a stadium deal was imminent. When LeBatard asked him how close they got he said in May the difference was only $30M and if they State had approved the tax rebate the financing would have been in order. Although he also mentioned he was uncertain if the details would have ever been worked out as not all participants (implied City of Miami officials) had the same goals. He agreed that $30M should have been an amount easily bridged if all parties were willing to work at it, but they weren't. Jeffrey Loria had offered to pay the 4th highest amount ever for a new stadium and it wasn't enough as the Marlins were expected to pay the difference in cost as time went on and stadium cost estimates increased.

2. Time ran out. Initially the team had hoped to be in a new stadium by 2007. Now the earliest they could open a new stadium would be 2010. He likened the discussions as being similar to a greyhound race...everytime he got close to the rabbit something else happened to move it away, until the race was over. There just isn't anymore time and the team must find a solution to get a new stadium whether that be in South Florida or elsewhere.

3. Jeffrey Loria was willing to sign a check to fund payroll in excess of revenue again this year. Samson told him that before he did that Samson believed the stadium deal was dead and that Loria shouldn't do it. Samson took full responsibility for recommending that payroll be cut to meet projected revenues and that Loria shouldn't continue to lose money. Jeffrey is the #1 Marlins fan and was willing to continue to fund the team. Samson stated that Jeffrey has already lost more than would be reasonable for any businessman. Samson would not commit to where the payroll would end up, but just said it would be consistent with the expected revenues.

4. Bud Selig discussed the stadium with Loria and Samson at the owner's meeting in Milwaukee and was visibly upset when he heard the negotiations were not going well. He was upset that the owners were paying the Marlins 10's of millions of dollars in revenue sharing with no plan in place to stop. They told Selig the Marlins might have to ask permission to open discussions with other cities to move the team and Selig said permission was immediately granted.

5. When asked where the Marlins would end up Samson said he would like to see the team stay in South Florida and was still in discussions with Miami-Dade County officials. He might expect the second place finishers in the Montreal Expos relocation to be most interested and that Portland had called the Marlins 10 minutes after the announcement was made they could talk to other cities. Samson's primary focus for the next few weeks would be to investigate all of the possibilities to find the Marlin's a new home.

6. Samson was clearly very somber and disappointed that it had come to this but felt the Marlins had no choice. He expected the team to continue to put an exciting product on the field and that this did not immediately imply the end of baseball in South Florida.

here's one.....

let's continue to blame Jeffery Loria and the marlins organization for something anyone else would have done years ago.

:thumbup

Well from those remarks it seems that if the Marlins' President wasn't his son in law, we'd be a playoff contender this year. No way would a salaried employee tell his boss how to spend his money as bluntly as Samson did.

Regardless the stadium issue has gone on for too long, a lot of blame going to the politicians and probably just as much blame on Samson's shoulders for being a n00b and horrible negotiator. Having Samson lead the stadium deal would have been like putting Abe Nu?ez to the plate against the Cubs in Game 6.

Everybody is quick to blame attendance, since its the easiest fact to point out, but the problems here are waay deeper than that.

here's one.....

let's continue to blame Jeffery Loria and the marlins organization for something anyone else would have done years ago.

:thumbup

Dasshole why dont you do us all a favor and STFU for once. No one cares what smart ass remark you have about bashing Miami and South Florida.

Most you out of towners could careless if this team moves but the majority of the fans the ones that live in South Florida care. This isnt a time for you to continue to rub it in our faces that this team may well be on its way out.

I have to give credit to Samson for stepping up and putting the burden directly on his own shoulders. He took the blame for not getting the stadium deal completed and he is taking the fall for making the tough decision to bring payroll in line with revenues. He is clearly shielding Loria from the backlash.....just as the President of the company should do.

I have to give credit to Samson for stepping up and putting the burden directly on his own shoulders. He took the blame for not getting the stadium deal completed and he is taking the fall for making the tough decision to bring payroll in line with revenues. He is clearly shielding Loria from the backlash.....just as the President of the company should do.

or is he really the one making the decisions and using Loria's good guy image to keep the boat afloat?

I think David's comments on Loria are Laughable. "I told Jeffrey, you need to stop writing the checks. . ." Like Loria is somehow detached from all of this and don't know what's going on.

or is he really the one making the decisions and using Loria's good guy image to keep the boat afloat?

I think David's comments on Loria are Laughable. "I told Jeffrey, you need to stop writing the checks. . ." Like Loria is somehow detached from all of this and don't know what's going on.

He didn't indicate Loria is detached. Just the opposite. He debunked the reports in the NY papers that somehow Loria lost control of the team. He clearly stated that he works for Loria and is under contract to Loria. That in the end it's Jeffrey's decision, and right now he is heeding Samson's advice. Samson also said that Loria would likely increase payroll immediately as soon as a stadium deal was in place.

It's obvious that Samson is putting himself out there and protecting Loria from looking like the bad guy. Aside from that, does anyone else think this whole relationship/scenario is a little weird?

I really admire the way Jeffrey Loria has managed to, for the most part, keep his divorce situation private. That's as it should be and I don't need or care to know the details of his private life. Still, it looks very strange to me when I see Samson sitting a few rows away from Jeffrey and his new girlfriend. I mean think about it, if that was your mother would you be so comfortable with that? Maybe somewhere down the road but while they are still going through this divorce? There is no doubt in my mind that if his mother had not been married to Loria David Samson would not be the team's president. I have to wonder if all is as it seems and how much say she has in what goes on.

And for those who think it's inappropriate to even broach this subject -- sorry, I mean no disrespect but I do think that the financial repercussions the split may have are a legitimate concern that could be affecting this whole situation (team payroll and stadium). Clearly, I am not implying this is the sole factor in what's going on. Just saying it could be playing a role.

He didn't indicate Loria is detached. Just the opposite. He debunked the reports in the NY papers that somehow Loria lost control of the team. He clearly stated that he works for Loria and is under contract to Loria. That in the end it's Jeffrey's decision, and right now he is heeding Samson's advice. Samson also said that Loria would likely increase payroll immediately as soon as a stadium deal was in place.

I think the fact that Samson opened by refuting the NY Daily News story only further proves who controls the team. Think about it. Why make the announcement while Loria is still away? Why not wait another day or two before having the press conference? Samson is the one in control of the team.

I think the fact that Samson opened by refuting the NY Daily News story only further proves who controls the team. Think about it. Why make the announcement while Loria is still away? Why not wait another day or two before having the press conference? Samson is the one in control of the team.

Samson made the comments because LeBatard brought up the subject.