Expectations

I've only been a fan since 2001 so I wasn't abe to follow A.J. Burnett and Josh Beckett in the minors. Were their expectations higher than Yusmeiro Petit and Anibal Sanchez. I heard Petit was expected to become a number 3 starter. What were Burnett and Beckett projected to become while they were still in AA ball? I just want to compare are two new prospects to the two pitchers we lost recently.

Beckett was considered a number 1 since the day he was drafted, ditto on AJ.

They were our top prospects and Beckett was picked over Mark Prior even in the draft.

These two guys are a step below them by far. Pettit is more like a mike redman/carl pavano type someday.

Sanchez projects as a 1/2 if his arm troubles dont happen again. Remember he had TJ surgery.

Here's the thing about Beckett and Burnett compared to Sanchez and Petit. Sanchez has the stuff, but not the numbers (3-5, .244 BAA against in AA) and Petit has the numbers (9-3, .209 BAA and more K's per innings pitched) but not the stuff (doesn't break 90, relies on his changeup), while Beckett and Burnett had both the stuff and the numbers.

They were our top prospects and Beckett was picked over Mark Prior even in the draft.

You're thinking of the Joe Mauer draft where he went one to Minnesota and Prior went two to Chicago. In Josh's draft it was either him or Josh Hamilton, and the Rays went with Hamilton.

You're thinking of the Joe Mauer draft where he went one to Minnesota and Prior went two to Chicago. In Josh's draft it was either him or Josh Hamilton, and the Rays went with Hamilton.

Ahh my bad. I thought Josh was in the same draft as mark also. Along with a few others like crosby I think?

Here's the thing about Beckett and Burnett compared to Sanchez and Petit. Sanchez has the stuff, but not the numbers (3-5, .244 BAA against in AA) and Petit has the numbers (9-3, .209 BAA and more K's per innings pitched) but not the stuff (doesn't break 90, relies on his changeup), while Beckett and Burnett had both the stuff and the numbers.

Sanchez in AA at 21 (2005), partial season

3-5, 3.45, 9.89 K/9, 1.20 WHIP, 14 GS, 57.1 IP in AA

Burnett in AA at 22 (1999), full season:

6-12, 5.52, 9.02 K/9, 1.68 WHIP, 26 GS, 120.2 IP in AA

Burnett was 25-21, 3.88, 10.77 K/9, 1.38 WHIP in his 84 career minor league games.

Beckett was 11-4, 1.97, 11.59 K/9, 0.97 WHIP in his 30 career minor league games. (sick)

Sanchez is 12-10, 2.46, 10.98 K/9, 1.03 WHIP in his 40 career minor league games.

Petit is 25-16, 2.76, 11.16 K/9, 0.94 WHIP in his 64 career minor league games.

And Petit has the stuff, just not the velocity. His "stuff" is ridiculous, thanks to his arm angle. You don't strike out 11.16 per 9 with no stuff.