Phillie Phlash: Gordon agrees to three-year deal

MrAndMrsFish

PHILADELPHIA -- The Phillies and free agent reliever Tom Gordon agreed to a three-year, $18-million contract Thursday night, according to a baseball official familiar with the negotiations.

The Yankees and another team, believed to be Texas, made a late run at signing Gordon. But when the Phillies offered to guarantee him a third year and allow him to go back to closing, that apparently sealed the deal.

Earlier in the day, according to a source, Gordon met personally with Phillies GM Pat Gillick, two days after he'd had lunch in Florida with manager Charlie Manuel.

Gordon, 38, served as Mariano Rivera's primary setup man in New York the past two seasons. He was 5-4 with a 2.57 ERA and two saves in 2005.

Over the last two seasons, Gordon has allowed just 6.08 hits per nine innings. Among relief pitchers who worked at least 140 innings, only two were more unhittable -- Francisco Rodriguez (5.71) and Joe Nathan (5.94). Among prominent closers who ranked behind Gordon: Brad Lidge (6.26), Rivera (6.59) and B.J. Ryan (6.75).

Link

Guest FishFanInPA

With free agent Billy Wagner leaving for the New York Mets this week, the Phillies are expected to take a stab at prying Cuban right-hander Danys Baez from the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

To get Baez, who converted 41 of 49 save opportunities and was a first-time All-Star in 2005, the Phillies are willing to part with one or two of their top minor league pitchers. Word is they are considering offering 22-year-old right-hander Gavin Floyd, a 2001 first-round draft pick whose status as elite prospect slipped some this past season.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/102...005-577815.html

Not to mention this makes us lose our 1st round pick

I also don't like the other moves by us this off season. The Thome trade withstanding, the other moves dont make sense.

Why add Fasano.....Ruiz is ready to be a backup, if not, there are guys like him available later

Nunez....lot of money for another Tomas Perez, who IS signed thru this year, so what do we do with Perez?

Now, signing a pitcher that has not closed for 4 years and is 38 for 3 years 18 million and a 1st round pick, that also makes ZERO sense. WTF is going on.

Some of these signings is making me think we are a middle market team like KC or Pitt.

Typical Phillies message board response.

With free agent Billy Wagner leaving for the New York Mets this week, the Phillies are expected to take a stab at prying Cuban right-hander Danys Baez from the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

To get Baez, who converted 41 of 49 save opportunities and was a first-time All-Star in 2005, the Phillies are willing to part with one or two of their top minor league pitchers. Word is they are considering offering 22-year-old right-hander Gavin Floyd, a 2001 first-round draft pick whose status as elite prospect slipped some this past season.

I also don't like the other moves by us this off season. The Thome trade withstanding, the other moves dont make sense.

Why add Fasano.....Ruiz is ready to be a backup, if not, there are guys like him available later

Nunez....lot of money for another Tomas Perez, who IS signed thru this year, so what do we do with Perez?

Now, signing a pitcher that has not closed for 4 years and is 38 for 3 years 18 million and a 1st round pick, that also makes ZERO sense. WTF is going on.

Some of these signings is making me think we are a middle market team like KC or Pitt.

Must be tough to see your favorite team making these moves huh?

If only the Tennessee White Hoods had made a move today, we could say the same thing about you.

Guest markotsay7

I may be in the minority, but I actually kind of like this signing for the Phils. Yeah, they overpaid, but that's the theme of this off-season, and I think they'd rather overpay for Gordon than for Hoffman or Jones who just won't succeed in that ballpark.

But the guy's 38 and hasn't closed in forever, and they gave him 3 years/18mm. I mean, come on, that's a little excessive. They should have made a run at Baez, they wouldn't have lost the pick and he's much cheaper and has actually closed regularly in this millennium.

If only the Tennessee White Hoods had made a move today, we could say the same thing about you.

:lol :lol :notworthy